1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Titan Fenrir Evo Hands-on

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 17 May 2010.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

It's about 35euros in Germany, right?

Well you get what you pay for...if you browse oll of china you'll find all kinds of people willing to anodize for you, undercutting eachother. Just don't wonder if the results vary
    :D

Eloxing is hardly rocket-science, nor is process control.

2. Raptor77

Raptor77 What's a Dremel?

Christmas edition colours look nicer.

Same here.

On a different note, does anyone know why the Fenrir's copper pipes terminate like that? Four of them look like end caps and the other four look almost unfinished to me, yet they've been like that in every picture I've seen.

3. October

October Mariachi Style

It's the two ends of the one pipe.

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I won't be upgrading either of my Fenrirs... in fact I'll be removing them and replacing them with a waterblock, in both S1366 machines. I find the manufacturing quality on the Fenrir to be the lowest I've ever seen on a HSF. I don't care if it's cheaper or that it will take a correct stepping i7 to 4 GHz on air, if the quality isn't there I don't want to pay for it. Just search the forums for people commenting on the poor quality of their Fenrirs and you'll see I'm not alone in this view.

Yeah, the black and gold colour scheme is nice and all, but I've already been disappointed by their manufacturing standards and I don't see a new cooler in different colours changing that. I buy for quality and performance, not one or the other.

5. Raptor77

So it is a case of not giving them the same finish?

Probably saves on a bit of money so I'm not complaining. Just doesn't look quite right to me.

6. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

to be honest i think most of the problems were caused by the crappy plastic packaging they come in - if someone mishandles it at the supplier the fins get bent out of shape easily.

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

No, it has nothing to do with finish dude... one end of a heatpipe is a machine manufactured, "bulb" like end, the other is a crimped end which gets machine crimped after the heatpipe is filled with refrigerant. This is the way all heatpipes are manufactured, it's just that on some HSF's the ends of the pipes are hidden or capped (the Scythe Kama Angle has capped heatpipes). There's no advantage to capping them though, it doesn't look that bad with just exposed pipes.

That wasn't the issue for me. The packaging actually wasn't all that bad. All I can say is there must be some pretty careless people in packing depos at supplier warehouses. The issue for me was the baseplate. I hate (and I mean hate) to see flattened heatpipes on the base of a heatsink, because it's a given that manufacturers cannot create a seamless transition between the copper of the heatpipes and whatever other material they are using to make up the rest of the base (in the Fenrirs case, Aluminium). It's untidy looking, if the manufacturing is not up to scratch it can actually damage the IHS on a CPU when pressure is applied over a long period of time and it hinders performance compared to full, flat copper baseplates soldered mid plate to the heatpipes. I just don't see why manufacturers keep using such a flawed design :confused:

Last edited: 19 May 2010
  8. Raptor77

I didn't say that right, I mean it's a lack of finish. They just left the pipe how it comes out after manufacture. Placing a cap over the crimped end would make them all look the same.

Edit: I started typing before your edit was done. I didn't say there was an advantage, it's an aesthetic thing. I also said I didn't really mind, I still like my Fenrir.

Thanks for the manufacturing information though, that's what I was wondering about.

Last edited: 19 May 2010
  9. somewhereoveryonda

somewhereoveryonda You'll never know when to buy!

When does this come on sale?

10. Arj12

Arj12 What's a Dremel?

Yes, I'd be interested to by one myself as my current arctic cooler freezer pro is VERY Noisy!

11. tcool93

tcool93 -----

I had first seen this Titan Fenrir cooler on another website. I kind of wanted to get it because I loved how it looked, with the colors. Although I've since changed my mind... when you look closer at the photos, the "paint" or whatever it is they use to color it, you can see is scraped or rubbed off certain parts of the cooler. It loses its looks when its like that.

I assume the paint must come off easy.

12. Raptor77

The Evo review says it's anodised. My Christmas Edition doesn't have any scratches.

13. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

Been testing one of these against a Coolermaster 212 Plus.

H212 Plus = 78C
    Fenrir Low Speed = 92C
    Fenrir High Speed = 81C

Tested on a Sabretooth X58 with i7 930 @ 4GHz and 12GB 1333MHz XMS2 OC'd to ~1530MHz on an open bench: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1171/5098678823_34f21ec090_z.jpg

I had three attempts before the mounting worked properly when I added some washers (from a different cooler). All in all average performance for a tower cooler.

It looks nice with the gold grandad stripe and logo and the anodised finish is good and kind of changes colour depending on the angle but that would be lost once it was installed in a case.

Tags: Add Tags