1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Titan Fenrir Siberia review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 10 May 2012.

1. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I'd go for the Arctic i30 over this any day. Better performance, cheaper and less likely to cause you to launch something across the room in frustration at trying to fit it :D

2. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

You use a poor example of an air cooling solution to reinforce your opinion on why air cooling is bad... that sounds sensible :confused: Why not do the smart thing and use a good example like the frio or the dark rock pro to see why air cooling is still viable.

3. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

Took one look at the first pic and knew what was coming. I was hoping to be proven wrong. Bleh.

4. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Would like quite cool in a windowed case with an LED fan on, shame its not very good :(

5. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

I don't know about being made redundant but it sure does have to be something special, considering the price as you say of closed loop systems such as the H60/H100 etc...

Which leads me onto Spreadie's post:

You are right my friend about the something cheap and all that but I would have thought technically speaking that Freezer 7 Pro would perform well on todays CPU's compared to the market it was released for? Given TDP of CPU's has mainly come down?

I'm not a WC guy but do use the Corsair offerings amongst others and must say everything has its place IMO.

I tend to swap between air/water coolers depending on the requirement, like for example, my mATX build, too small a case to get a H60 in, so opted for a low profile Noctua. I'm sure you get my point.

6. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

As much as I agree with you conceptually, I'll take that challenge.

My Tuniq Tower-120 is pushing 7 years now, and is doing just fine. I had to modify the mounting bracket to use it on my last upgrade, The fan has been replaced, and I need to re-finish the contact plate before my next upgrade, but that last one is my fault (never patient enough to mount it right the first time, end up scratching it in the process). All told I bet I already have you beat for cost/year. Not to mention my rig is OC'd to the heavens. (5.2Ghz on my last bench run).

That being said, the majority of these air coolers are bad investments. Especially ones like this that are prone to conflict with VRM heat sinks in future board layouts (I don't care about messing with ram heat sinks, those are worthless and you shouldn't use them in the first place). with the rising cost of materials, liquid cooling is looking like a strong alternative to high end air. Whenever I find my TT120 inadequate for my needs (or Ii have money and feel like having some fun) I will definitely move to a water loop.

7. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Is the Frio or Dark rock thing as small as a waterblock?

I don't want a massive lump of metal covering half my motherboard and the ram slots.

8. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Its looks, they..I...what. No, just no.

9. Eldorado

Eldorado Needs new glasses..

Heh, I reckon my Contac 29 outperforms this at a quarter of the price (3 years old) though it probably has the same RAM clearance issues with an Intel chipset.
    Was it installed incorrectly? These guy's seem to have a totally different opinions too: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2650&page=5
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/titan-fenrir-siberia-edition_6.html#sect1
    Anyway, it seems to look good (for a quiet HS at low fan speeds), but opinions differ.
    TITAN: Pass me one, and i'll give a another opinion.

Last edited: 13 May 2012
  10. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

All review systems are different. We test in cases, not on test-benches. We test our 1155 rig with no case fans, and out 2011 rig against only a handful of thee best coolers.

Even then, both those reviews are pretty negative in their conclusions, throwing around words like "disappointed" and "un-impressive." A £65 giganto-air cooler just doesn't cut it anymore.

11. WALKYRIE

WALKYRIE What's a Dremel?

I am fully against the water cooling, therefore new air-cooling ideas are welcome, but I dont really much agree with this design, both fans are aiming at different directions, even if apparently the purpose of one of the fans was to cool the RAM/DIMM memory

Tags: Add Tags