1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Tivo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mhiran, 26 Oct 2003.

1. Mhiran

Mhiran What's a Dremel?

Hello,
    I was just wondering if there is any software on the pc that would be just like a tivo box? (In the UK being able to record sky digital feeds?)

Does anybody know any?

Mhiran

2. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak What's a Dremel?

pretty much all TV cards come with recording software. The leadtek tv2000xp is supposed to be one of the better models and comes with some excellent software.

Alternatively, you could buy sky+ :clap:

3. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

think theres one called showshifter which is meant to be alright?

4. SiMonTiST

SiMonTiST Minimodder

What exactly is a TiVo anyway?

I've heard people talk about them a lot, but I'm still not sure exactly what they do...

I presume it's kinda like a Sky+ box?

5. Lupine

Lupine What's a Dremel?

It's more that Sky+ is like TiVo, but they both do essentially the same things, record video to a HDD based platform so you can watch it later, pause live tv, skip through adverts, etc. etc. But out of the two of them, TiVo was released first, and was actually officially pushed by Sky until they got their Sky+ up and running.

Although the TiVo has a function whereby it records programmes it thinks you might like based on what you watch. Or at least that's what it's supposed to do, my brother's TiVo occasionally throws a wobbly, and records stuff that he would never watch and which is nothing like anyhting else he has ever watched.

One other thing, the TiVo re-encodes the video stream from the separate Sky Box, whereas the Sky+ IIRC records the raw stream from the satellite dish to the HDD, so in theory, the picture quality should be better on the Sky+