1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases TJ-07 Dual 92mm radiator? (even exist?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gurdeep14, 3 Sep 2012.

1. Gurdeep14

Gurdeep14 Minimodder

I recently re-built my dual loop rig in a TJ-07.
    The top was modded to hold a triple rad (Black Ice Stealth GT) which is currently cooling a OC'd i7 920 D0 @ 4Ghz, MOSFET's, RAM and mobo.
    idle temps are around 50*c - 55*c. After a few hours of DayZ its touching 80*C, which is a bit warm for my liking.

Currently I have no case fans for air circulation, just 3 fans per radiator.
    What I was thinking of doing was adding a dual 92mm radiator at the back, where the 92mm fans usually are (currently covered with a bit of acrylic) but I cant see any one else with a radiator positioned here. Is there any reason why? Plus, would the extra radiator help with temps? Which radiator would you guys recommend?

The Black Ice has a high FPI (30), so my 4 year old Yate Loons are running at full pelt, would changing them to something like Corsair SP120's help?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Loop as it stands now
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Sep 2012
  2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I have three AP15s on my 360 GT - they need fans with decent static pressure. Your XSPC rad has fairly open fin spacing doesn't it? They tend to respond well to low and medium speed fans, have you got room to stick a extra one or two fans on the other side for push pull? (I know the PSU won't give your for all three mounts).

Two 5970s and an i7 920 - at full pelt, during a heavy gaming session, you're looking at dissipating something like 900+ Watts? I assume you have your D5 cranked up to full speed?

As for the extra rad, if you can't find one you can always stick a 2x80 in there with some 80/92mm shroud adapters.

http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/product_info.php/info/p1702_Magicool-XTREME-DUAL-160-Radiator.html

Gurdeep14 likes this.
  3. Gurdeep14

Gurdeep14 Minimodder

Thanks for the reply.
    The Yate Loons I have are 1650RPM, don't know how much static pressure. Would I be better off with Corsair SP120's or the AP15's like you and many many others? The stealth GT has a fin density of like 30FPI, hence I need strong fans.

Yeah, I have no problem with the XSPC radiator for the 5970's, they never reach 45*C even while heavily overclocked and overvolted. You're right though, they have pretty open fin spacing, but the radiator is considerably thicker so it gets away with it. So I don't see the need to do push/pull on the XSPC, not that I have room anyway.

However, the Stealth GT, due to the triple radiator roof mod, only has the fans in pull mode (not ideal)
    XSPC is push btw.
    Yep, both D5's at Max speed, during gaming all fans at max using my Lampton FC-2, during web browsing etc, 50% usually.

Would the dual radiator help much in your opinion and would it mount inside the case (don't want anything outside the case, ruins the look)

Thanks again for the reply

4. David

Sorry, I didn't realise you were running dual loops at first.

A dual 80 will help, but by how much, it's hard to say.

Have you considered joining your loops? I ran two loops for a year or so, but decided to link them together in the end. Your GPUs will get a touch warmer, but they have a huge margin to play with; however, your CPU will likely see a decent sized reduction in temp. Plus, you can then still add push/pull on your bottom rad for a little more help.

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Your CPU temps at both idle and load are a lot hotter than I'd expect (what's your ambient?). My first thought would either be that you need to remount the block or that the fans aren't pulling enough air through the GTS. Although I no longer use my dual GTS I needed the AP15s I was using to run at full speed to get decent results.

What are the water temps of the CPU loop?

Gurdeep14 likes this.
  6. Gurdeep14

Gurdeep14 Minimodder

Joining the loops together would mean I have a spare D5 (also have another one) and a EK Dual D5 top. Also, could a single D5 handle such restrictive blocks, (RAM, in particular)
    Yeah, when I was running my 920 on a full size triple before the TJ07, using a Alphacool NexXxoS Xtreme III triple Radiator, I was getting idle temps of 45*C and load of 65*C, so going from a a full size with low FPI to a thin radiator with very high FPI, I kind of expected this sort of temperature. Also, while gaming, the top of the TJ-07 is very warm to touch, which tells me the fans aren't pushing enough air through the radiator?

Do you know of any other triple radiators that could fit on a roof mod in a TJ-07 which might be better?

Ambient temperature is 24*C, if I close my door and game at night it rises to like 31*C, but I bring it back down by turning my Air Conditioning on.

7. Big Elf

AFAIK the GTS is the only triple rad that'll easily fit but a lot depends on where the vrm heatsink/blocks are as they're the limiting factor for the rads.

As a rough guide when I ran a i7 920 at 4GHz with a pair of HD4870s in a single loop in my TJ07 with a quad RX480 the CPU load delta was around 34ºC with HT on and about 7ºC lower than that with HT off. For gaming I'd have HT off.

I think I'd be tempted to try a single loop.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2012
    Gurdeep14 likes this.
  8. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

I had a setup very similar to yours until I swapped out for SB.

I'd be inclined to swap the radiators round if the 360 in the bottom has better cooling ability; I initially thought along the same lines as you and had the chipset and CPU of my LGA1366 board cooled by the stealth GT I have in the roof -- it struggled to provide better cooling than that of a decent air cooler.

Your 5970s being of a similar TDP to the former cards I had in dual (2 x 4870 X2) I'd imagine you'd have no problems.

I'd also be inclined to drop the ram block and populate those rear mounts with fans -- even with WC a bit of airflow around the board helps things.

I've read due to the nature of CPU/GPU load (rarely both fully loaded at once) one big loop is a better than multiple loops, though I've yet to try this in practice; I still have separate GPU/CPU loops.

Gurdeep14 likes this.
  9. David

Gurdeep14, what vcore are you using for that overclock? My 920 will do 4GHz with 1.25v, and I'd think most D0 steppers will do it with less than 1.35v

As previously mentioned, a couple of quiet 92mm fans extracting air will probably help matters; bringing down the ambient temp.

Gurdeep14 likes this.
  10. Gurdeep14

Gurdeep14 Minimodder

Im at 1.4v, but Im sure I can go lower.
    After having my motherboard replaced (failed to post) a few years back, I quickly OC'd a stable 4Ghz and left it as I needed my PC to do coursework. Since then I havent gone back to overclock it properly, ill give it a try tomorrow.

Might have to fit the 92mm ones, are the stock Silverstone ones ok?

11. David

Definitely do it. 1.4v will have a sizeable impact on your temps. A 0.1v reduction could make as much as 10 degrees difference to the CPU.
    Put them on, mate - hook em up to the motherboard headers and set them up on a silent/low speed profile in the hardware monitor section of the BIOS. They'll spin up when you first switch on, but the BIOS will kick in and shut them up before windows boots.

Let us know how you get on.

12. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

The silverstone ones tend to be pretty loud but they do provide airflow. I have a couple of silent eagles in mine that do the job well

Gurdeep14 likes this.
  13. Matticus

Matticus ...

How much heat does your ram dump into the loop? Would it be better take them out of the loops and pop a few fans on the back to let the airflow cool the ram? Ram is usually pretty happy with a small amount of airflow unless it is under some insane voltage/speeds.

I don't WC anymore, but I would always be happy with a bit of "clean" airflow through the case even with everything WC'd just to make sure no hot pockets build up. So adding the 92mm even on slow would at least make me a little happier :D

Gurdeep14 likes this.
  14. David

You don't need to kick the ar$e out the the RAM for a 4GHz clock speed, even if you're pushing the BCLK to achieve the overclock with a lower multiplier.

There is the potential drop a big chunk of the heat by reducing the CPU vcore and making sure the QPI/DRAMM voltage isn't set at Auto.

Gurdeep14 likes this.
  15. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I thought about something like this for my TJ07 (even though it would look ridiculous), can you find a rad like this one in the UK?

Gurdeep14 likes this.
  16. Big Elf

While you don't need the RAM block (I didn't even bother with thermal paste on mine) it looks good and due to the design it's not very restrictive.

Dropping the vcore and turning off HT if you don't need it will give a big temp drop.

I've removed the top rad in my TJ07 and fitted the fans back to extract the warm air.

Gurdeep14 likes this.
  17. David

You'd probably have to set it up as exhaust though, meaning warm air is being pushed through the rad; reducing the benefit.

I so want a TJ07, just to have a play with the different options it offers.

18. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Why couldn't I set it up as intake?

19. David

Sorry, I should have been clearer - I meant that based on the cooling layout of Gurdeep's rig needing some way to exhaust warm air from the main chamber. I assumed you were suggesting it as an option for his setup.

20. Gurdeep14

Gurdeep14 Minimodder

Thanks, ill try today. Could you possibly take a photo of your bios as your D0 seems to run at 4Ghz with low temps and voltage, just as a guide for me.
    Ill add the fans to my fan controller, but should I have them exausting air out the back or as an in-take, which is then exausted by the radiator at the top?

I tested them outside the case and they seemed quiet, but Ill hook them up to the fan controller so it should be ok.

The RAM block actually helps. Before fitting it, Battlefield 3 use to crash after 30 mins, since adding the block, the computer is a lot more stable, no more crashes, even after hours of gaming.
    I would like some airflow, but I have no where to mount any fans :(
    Since I have the pumps and res and radiator and psu at the bottom, I had to mount the hard drives in the 5.25" bays, so cant put any fans there either.

Like before, a picture of your BIOS would help greatly, ill post pics of my BIOS as it stands.
    Bare in mind I overclocked it to 4Ghz in 5 mins.
    With my previous board I spent hours trying to use the lowest voltages etc.

That is exactly what I am after, I cant seem to find anywhere in the UK that sells something like that.
    Would it look odd in my case? lol

I kind of like the HT, even though I dont think I benifit from it, i'd rather add another radiator or better fans than drop the HT.

The TJ-07 is such an awesome case, I waited for 6 years, since I first pc to get one due to the price, but it is totally worth it. However, if only it was a bit bigger, I got fit a thicker 360 rad at the top