1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress TJ-11/Level 10 hybrid scratchbuild?

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by rwb97, 5 Jul 2012.

?

What color sleeving?

1. Red

25.6%
  2. Black

17.9%
  3. Both

56.4%
  1. whatsthatnoise

whatsthatnoise What's a Dremel?

Since you are using Paracord for your sleeving, you can simply melt the ends of the sleeve, than twist it. No need for heatshrink, clamps or anything else.

Looks good so far. :)

rwb97 likes this.
  2. rwb97

rwb97 Addicted to modding

Ah, that's nice to know! Thanks. I think I broke a couple of pins trying to remove them also, so a few spares may come in handy.

3. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

So you used heavy floor varnish to fill up the spots, and then primer and paint? Quite an idea. How well did the primer take?

And why didn't you start with something without grain from the beginning? Something like MDF or plexi or alu?

4. rwb97

The main reason I chose it, was because I already had it, it was the right thickness, and also I had no idea what to expect when painting:duh:

Mind you, after a good sanding on the varnish, the primer seemed to be happy, and then the plastikote went on nice and easy. unfortunately the clear-coat I did on top, has now gone slightly greenish and isn't very flat so I think I will sand that off and try something else. Im not entirely sure what though!

5. madmodmole

madmodmole Another warranty bites the dust....

I like what you have done, im interested to see how you deal with soldering the io....
    :D

6. rwb97

Only a small update here, but I got some paint, so the backstand is now done at last, just need to open up some of the grooves and holes that were filled with paint.

[​IMG]

Also, I tried the melting method on some of the sleeving, I think it looks great, and is also quick and easy. Thanks whatsthatnoise:thumb:
    [​IMG]

Gotta clear this mess up before school tomorrow :( Hopefully I can still progress with the case once I go back.
    [​IMG]

7. whatsthatnoise

Melting gives you some sore finger tips (especially after sleeving 24pin connectors), but it's worth it. Looks great. :)

8. rwb97

hahah yea I was wondering why there were so many cries for mercy from modders after sleeving! I look forward to it (when the stuff arrives:rolleyes:) Thanks.

9. Lehani

Lehani What's a Dremel?

how do you smelt the sleeving ? i would like to get rid of my heatshrinks if possible:)

but it look nice, i like the idea of 2 cases above each other.. and nice mess in your room :p

10. whatsthatnoise

You use a lighter or better a candle if you want to do a lot of sleeving. Hold the end of the sleeve next to it and wait until it starts to melt, than twist it. Done. :)

Needs some practice to get an idea for the time it takes to melt enough, but not to much, how long the sleeve has to be to fit exactly after melting (a part of the sleeve gets burned away through melting, ofc) and where to place the melted part on your pin to easily fit back into the connector.

Anyway I'm sure there's some tut on youtube or something, no need to hijack his thread. ;)

11. rwb97

Thanks very much, looks like whatsthatnoise beat me to it!

12. rwb97

DOH!!!!!:jawdrop::duh::eeek::waah:
    [​IMG]

Awww man I managed to break my motherboard tray today, needless to say I am rather miffed!
    ah well, I bought some extra acrylic anyway for the very reason that I knew I would break something (in this case I tripped and fell on it:eyebrow:) so hopefully It wont take too long to make annother.

Meanwhile...
    the last of my stuff finally arrived:D so I did finish some sleeving which went ok so I will do some more relatively soon.
    [​IMG]

Tha's all for now, soon there will be some pics of most of the case assembled, as the grooves are now paint free.

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

That's a heart sinker, slow motion NOOOOOOOOoooo. :(
    But on the bright side you will get that bit better at making them with doing it twice, PITA I know but true.

14. dr-

dr- What's a Dremel?

i've followed your build for a while now rwb97 - i like the concept of the modularity of the Level 10, with the nice rounded corners of the TJ11 plus the inverted mobo. I'll be watching this with great interest =)

15. rwb97

Yeah! I honestly thaught I was just looking at it funny when I first saw, and then I realised I wasn't:jawdrop: It happens, and as you said, practice makes perfect(ish).

Thanks very much, that's exactly what I want it to be.:D

16. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

Gutted man, my fave component of the build... NOOOOOOOOOOOO

17. rwb97

Got a proper update since a while now, school seems to be slowing things down :grr:.
    Finally managed to rid all the paint from the grooves on the backpanel, so construction of the bits I have made (there's more which I plan to do once I have the basics to get it up and running and not have to take it apart again) can start.

Nice and clean grooves, a bit scratched though, thankfully touch-up-able.
    [​IMG]

To attach the wall pieces, I'm just using PVA in the grooves, It's not structural, and I didn't want any ugly brackets.
    [​IMG]

Whilst this dried, I drew and cut vents for the radiators in the basement bit. I considered drilling a matrix of holes, but could see that they wouldn't be accurate enough, and so would look funny.
    Instead I shall insert some modders mesh here.
    [​IMG]

Fits nicely.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the other one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, I just glued this one in the same as the first.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully it will by dry by tomorrow so I can progress more.
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile I shall continue re making the mobo tray.. sob..sob… If you have any suggestions as to do it differently this time round, please say! (one change I will make, is having the i/o actually fit not hanging off the edge!!)
    Also I have my sleeving to finish.

Thanks again for all your comments, more updates to come soon!

18. rwb97

Woah. Havent done an update in a while now :worried:

so here's a few things:

Did a small mod on my pump, just soldered a third wire so I can see its speed. And then sleeved it and put a black vinyl sticker on the cover.
    [​IMG]

And, dare I say it.... ALL SLEEVING IS DONE!!! fans and all:D:lol:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then to finish the day, did some more test plumbing in the basement.
    [​IMG]

And now with the PSU in somehow as well!
    [​IMG]

You can see why I wanted to check it all fits :wallbash:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, I am done until tomorrow, when hopefully there will be more... As if I would know!!

19. avolla

avolla Mini Water Modder

Looking good. In regards to the mobo tray, heat it slowly and take your time. The slower you can bend it the less stress you should put on it and it should hold up better. Good luck.

20. rwb97

Thanks for the advice, have been trying a few more bends in different ways on some scrap.

Ok, a final update for the weekend as promised.

At last I have decided on a design for the PSU mount-here it is being tested on an old PSU.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then after a few adjustments I put the real thing in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is also a gap underneath, to let hose get to the radiators where it is already very tangled.
    [​IMG]

Then, as I have had waaay to much downtime, I decided to put it together as the rest of the build can be done with it built!:rock:I CAN PLAY GAMEZ AGAIN!!:clap:
    [​IMG]

I don't know how much I will get done during the week, but hope to finish leak testing and at least get it running. Thanks for watching!