1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors To all the Belgians out there(and other people too)

Discussion in 'General' started by Isuo, 30 Aug 2007.

1. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Since I totally suck at French and Flemish, I decided to ask you people;

[SIZE="-1"]WHAT DEFINES AN _A_ CLASS MOPED IN BELGIUM?[/SIZE]
    Why am I asking? Well I decided to buy one just for fun from eBay

2. Khensu

Khensu likes to touch your special places

An A-class moped means the moped is not allowed to drive faster than 25 km/h. You also need to have a yellow tag-thingy at the back, and despite the low speed you need to wear a crash helmet.

That's what I remember from my younger days anyway.

3. pjotero

pjotero belgian

I think it's 30km/h ( there is a 5km/h tolerance in Belgium)

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Nope, it's 25km/h for a A class, you also need to wear a helmet and have that yellow tag at the rear, but you don't need a licence. Max displacement is 50cc. You do need an insurance tough.

FYI, a B class is 45km/h, no tag, a licence (A3), 50cc and an (other) insurance.

5. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

So technically, an A class moped is a normal moped, with the exeption that you aren't allowed to go faster than 25km/h?
    And if you wanted to go faster, you could 'transform' the moped in to a B class one by registering it, or am I missing somethig out here?

6. Khensu

Khensu likes to touch your special places

Yes, but for a B-class moped you need the appropriate driving licence.

7. pjotero

pjotero belgian

the moped will need some mechanical adjustment to ( its not very hard, do mind that it is illegal in belgium )

8. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Riiight, got to love Belgian laws... Anyways thanks a lot.

9. lex90

lex90 Minimodder

Correction, you can not transform it to a B class. An A class is limited to 25km/h by the factory. It will not go faster than 25km/h with out adjustments. If you want to go faster it is possible, you have to remove the ring from the exhaust and a ring from the vario (for a 2stroke). For a 4 stroke its a little more complicated, it differs per moped, i think they generally put a block in the carburetor and have a very small fuel injector(i know it doesn't inject, but it puts the fuel in the cylinder) type thing. However, going faster than 25 k/h is illegal, you can get fined if your caught going faster but on the dyno thing you cant go faster than i think 30km/h(uncertainties or something). For a B class you are allowed to go 45 km/h but on the dyno you can go 53km/h before they fine you. You can not make an A class a B class unless you get the moped re-checked by the government. I know in Holland its called the RWD who do that not sure who in Belgium, but it cost a lot of money. Its not just as simple as re-registering it. They really check it like they do when registering a car, so everything must be in working and legal order.

And indeed, an A class need a helmet, no license, but does need insurance. Also there is a yellow tag on the back and you must drive on the bike path.

10. relix

relix Minimodder

They're probably checking mostly your breaks.

11. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Ok,
    25 on public roads is good enough I never intended going further than the nearest shop with it and that can be done on smaller roads where you can speed up.
    About the B class thing, I asked just because I saw that there were B and A class Honda Caminos(suprisingly popular mopeds as I found out later) on eBay.
    But hey, let's say that I go and buy an A class moped and rev it up a little bit, what would the changes be that the police would dyno it in case they caught me speeding with the thing?

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Probably very slim indeed, unless they caught you doing 120kph on one that's supposed to only do 50kph. From the way it sounds so far, aren't they just normal 50cc scooters, but the imposed speed limit is 25kph rather than them being limited? Hence why you can just upgrade to a B-class by buying insurance and passing a test.

13. lex90

lex90 Minimodder

If changes= Chances.. High depending on your region.
    The police does control every so often.. Its called Rollen in dutch. They have a mobile dyno which they station at a popular place. Then they stop every moped driving by, and they have a motorcycle driving around making people follow him to the dyno. They check your license and insurance and then put you on the dyno. In belgium the fines are incredibly high. On an A class you are allowed 25km/h, they have a margin of 8km/h but if you go 9km/h too fast the fines come. They impound your moped for 30 days after which you can come pick it up, after the 30 days you pay 2.5 euros a day untill you pick it up. After that you have to see the judge who will give you the fine, minimum fine being 250 euros, the maximum being 8500 euros. He will also take away your drivers license for anywhere from 30-365 days.
    This is however only the first time the catch you. The second time they double the fine, and they impound your moped and sell it.

And no Krikkit, the mopeds are physically limted, you can change them but risk the high fines. And you can not just change the insurance and take a test, you have to get the moped re-registerd which takes a lot of time and money. It really isnt that easy, you have to go to a special center and they will inspect it.

Oh.. and if they catch you speeding they might either just give you a fine for the speeding, or they might take you back to the police station to the dyno they have there.

Last edited: 31 Aug 2007
  14. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Had a typo there...
    Ok... You wouldn't happen to know the accurate 'definitions' for an A class moped.
    Waht I mean is, that the old ones have pedals, but now MBK makes the ones that look like scooters, so what is the main thing that makes a moped an A class one instead of a B class one.
    [SIZE="-2"]Repetition of the first post, and I'm assuming that you live in Belgium[/SIZE]

15. lex90

lex90 Minimodder

Yes i live in Belgium.. I still drive a moped myself;)..

An A Class Moped has on the papers(Certificate of Conformity / Gelijkvormigheidsattest (GVA) / Certificat de conformité) written "Classe A", it does not drive faster than 25km/h, you are required to wear a helmet, you are not required to have a license but must be over 16, you are required to have a Classe A insurance, you must drive on the bike path, you must have a yellow square on the back.
    And the pedal things dont matter, thats only because they are often push-start rather than kick or electric start.

Where abouts in belgium do you live?

16. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

The age thing doesn't really matter since I'm 18, just tought it might be fun to have one to use occasionally.

In Kraainem, you?

17. lex90

lex90 Minimodder

If you have a drives license you might as well get a Classe B as a drivers license is enough to drive one.

I live near Antwerp, in a place called Brasschaat..

18. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Let me explain why the fines are so high if you are speeding with a class A moped. Say you are driving 80km/h:

1) Your moped isn't tested at those speeds, you are running it out of spec, so the certificate of conformity doesn't apply (brakes, structural strength of the frame,...)
    2) Your insurance is just for a class A, so you aren't ensured anymore (just untill 25km/h)
    3) You don't have a valid drivers licence (at 80, you need a MOTORcycle licence A1 or A2)
    4) Since your moped is now classed a motorcycle, you need licence plates for the vehicle

=> 4 serious offences (no conformity, no insurance, no drivers licence & no licence plates).

and then there is:
    5) You are showing a class A yellow tag, which indicates slow trafic => Dangerous
    6) Most likely you'll be driving on the bike path, which isn't the place of a motorcycle, it's on the road.

Tags: