1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics to get a laptop screen to work on a desktop pc

Discussion in 'Modding' started by stun mi, 28 Dec 2003.

1. stun mi

stun mi What's a Dremel?

has any one got a laptop screen to work with a decktop pc and if so how did you do it i have an old laptop that isn't good for anything but the screen still works

2. Cheese

Cheese Doc

:search:

Yeah quite a few people have used them in projects and there's been a lot of talk, use the search button...

Rob.

3. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

Using a laptop screen in can be quite hard and depends on the screen in question, most laptop screens are excpecting to be driven directly, this is nothing at all like a DVI output, as such you need an interface board (much in the same way a graphical LCD needs a controller) that checks its memory to see what the screen should be displaying in the pixel in question, and applys the apropreate lines.

Most TFTs have input for each colour, in digital format, as such conversion from DVI isn't too difficult.

You should be able to find a controller kit on www.earthlcd.com or smilar, but it won't be cheap. There is a lot of data to be wizzed about, and most "domestic" micro's won't be able to coupe so the price isn't going to be nice!

4. 1-Man-Army

1-Man-Army What's a Dremel?

ooops my bad i was testing sumthing and i posted here in the wrong place, i think my account is busted i cant search :waah: