1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding To Paint or Powdercoat?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by theurgy, 20 Sep 2005.

1. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

Hi guys.. just like your opinion here.
    I'm thinking about buysing one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/CF-72-P4-1-8GHz...804018323QQcategoryZ42205QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The casing of this laptop is made of magnesium and if I get it I want to have it in black. Now for magnesium would it be better if I got it painted or if I brought it into the powder coater. I would prefer powder coating simply for the durability, but paint can have the added effect of ghosted airbrusing effects.

Decisions, decisions....

2. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Seeing as it's a laptop, I personally would powder coat it cause it will get bashed and stuff.

3. BobbyMParr

BobbyMParr GameDemon

ehh i agree powder coat cause laptops get a pretty good beating and your hands rubbing constantly paint would eventually wear off

4. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

Good idea... I'm getting a quote...I was still of thinking of putting airbrushed ghost graphics on top anyway and then clearcoating it.

5. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

in my experience the powder coat is relatively thick and such in comparison with painting and destroys the surface detail of the metal. plus I could see it having more of a tendency to flake off or chip compared to paint considering the abuse people dish out to laptops. Off the top of my head I believe there might be anodization or oxide processes to color magnesium (probably some strange alloy though)

6. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

I've experienced just the opposite with my last powder coated project. I was able to bang on it with a hammer and it stayed to the metal vs. flaking off.