1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage To SSD or not to SSD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SwiftDestiny101, 11 Dec 2009.

1. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

Guys,

Need to pick the hive mind again, as I normally do before parting with any cash on my computer, and this time I'm looking for some help with whether or not SSD's are 'mainstream' enough to take the plunge for.

So I've got a high spec computer (well it was in June when I built it), I've got Windows 7 with all it's SSD loving, and I can't decide if it's worth parting with ~£300 for an SSD to round it off.

Picture this, your 19, studying computer science, the government is due to give you £1400 on the 4th January, and you have all the budgeting skills of a small gibbon.

What would you do :D

EDIT: Also what's the general view on the Intel Gen 2 one's like http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/80GB...ATA-3Gb-s-Read-250MB-s-Write-70MB-s-OEM-Gen-2 . It's not the one in the buyers guide but it's a good hundred pounds cheaper...any massive flaws to worry about?

Last edited: 11 Dec 2009
  2. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

im having the same dilemma - although i have spent about 1500 quid on my pc in the last quarter. looks like an SSD is on my list for next year

3. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Hmm, I'll simply repost what I posted in another thread since these question comes up often in the last few weeks:

Micron has already begun manufacturing SATA 6Gbps SSD drives... OCZ is also preparing for SATA 6Gbps (SandForce) and Indillinx "Jet Steam" 6Gbps controllers aren't far off. Seeing as how SSD's like the OCZ Vertex Turbo are getting very close to hitting the 3Gbps peak, I'd hold off until the 6Gbit products start rolling off in January-February and then grab a 3Gbps SATAII SSD at a reduced price and pop it into RAID0 for much love.

4. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

Now that's the kind of lateral thinking that makes me ask so many damn questions :)

Cheers man, I'll do just that. Otherwise I would be seriously kicking myself when I watch the price of my new toy go through the floor ;)

5. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

SSD raid cheesecake, get like 4 and watch your computer perform on levels you never thought possible. Granted 4 would be hell'va expensive, but you'd be cool. ;)

:)

6. lembasts

lembasts What's a Dremel?

I cannot believe someone posted a topic name exactly like the one I was going to post. Im building a new machine and was thinking of putting the OS and Apps (c drive) on a SSD and then sata raid drives for the rest of the data. Is ssd really worth it on the c drive?

7. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I've been running an SSD as my main drive for a while, and the difference is quite noticable, i can be loading up a game in vista before my friends xp/7 computer had finished booting (granted his computer was a bit worse than mine, doubt it really effects boot times all that much though)

However, my Vertex SSD recently bit the dust, possibly for good. I started my computer up, as i normally do, only windows refused to boot, thinking the windows update had randomly changed the priority of my HD's again (as it has done before) i went into BIOS to sort it out, only to find that my Vertex was no longer showing up as a vertex, but as a Yatapdong barefoot -rom.

After a bit of googling, it turns out my SSD has effectivly flashed itself back to factory (pre-firmware) settings. Supposedly i *might* be able to fix it by flashing it, only i don't have a spare HD to install windows to (my only other PC is rather ancient, and only has one SATA connection)

Turns out this problem has happened to quite a few people, and to various different makes (not just OCZ, although it does seem to be more common with them) So consider this a bit of a warning.

8. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

have a crucial M225 256gb drive and its a s fast as pheck.:rock: definatly worth the outlay,:thumb: umed and ared for a few months, but glad i made the purchase.:D

coupled with winduz 7 it boots in under 20s and closes in less than 7s everything running from the drive is justa breise.:brrr:

just wondering about clutter, and slowing, havent noticed any yet, its runing trim firmware!:idea: