1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays To Triple 23~24" 120Hz or Not To...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JaredC01, 5 Sep 2010.

1. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Well, yet again I'm debating with myself... I'm interested in the new 120Hz monitors, not for 3D purposes, but for the refresh rate. My TV is what got me interested in the 120Hz system, and now they're moving into second revisions of the computer monitors, so I'm looking at my options.

I would like to get 3x 23~24" 120Hz monitors, though it seems like my options are limited (very much so) to TN film panels only, and to a select couple of brands.

Now my real issue comes in with my current monitor... I've got a Dell 3007WFP 30" that I love oh so much, and I'm worried about going to a TN film monitor from an S-IPS. I don't do much graphic design work anymore, so I'm not overly interested in 100% accurate color reproduction (though I do plan on calibrating each of the monitors to even them across the board)), but I DO NOT want to have to adjust the monitors every single time I adjust my chair an inch left or right. Do you guys think there will be an issue with today's TN film panels?

Next issue comes down to choice...

The new Asus VG246H(E) is a nice choice, but currently not available in the HE model without the 3D kit, HERE.

Or my only other real option, the Acer GD235HZbid, HERE.

I like the Asus model, but I DO NOT need the nVidia 3D stuff and as stated, the non nVidia package is not available yet, and I don't know enough about the quality of the Acer monitors to make an $1100 decision...

The monitors will be set up on a single stand, possibly wall mounted (dunno for sure yet), so stand quality doesn't make a bit of difference to me. If anyone has any constructive input on the matter, I would greatly appreciate the help!

2. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

The Acer one is absolutely disgusting......it gonna be perfect with the New Antec case. I like the Asus, black & clean.

If you are fine with 22 inch, also you can watch for the Samsung 2233RZ and the Viewsonic P95F+

3. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

The Asus One without the 3D kit is quite good or so i heard and yeah TPAM said it better than i did (about the antec :p)

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I recently grabbed the cheapest 24" TN screen in the store for benchmarking use, and I must admit it isn't nearly as rubbish as I thought. I have an older MVA-panel screen for photo editing and back in the day I bought that as the TNs were horribly bad. Now, however, the viewing angles are rarely a problem when sitting on the computer. I notice the difference when I watch a movie from a sofa, but it's so rare to watch your screens from too low, it doesn't matter.

That said, I would never, ever switch a single 30" to multiple 22's. But I guess that's just a personal opinion.

5. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

TBSM, I'd prefer to have 23~24 inch 1920 x 1080 monitors than 22" 1680 x 1050 monitors.

dangerman, I've not been able to find the Asus monitor without the 3D kit in the US. Do you have a link by chance?

Jipa, I do love the resolution of the 30", but for EVE Online, I'd prefer to have the ability to play all three of my clients on separate screens without having to dual box, and I could set up Eyefinity for all of my other games, giving me all three screens worth of real estate for all of my games.