1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays To TV or not to TV?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aquatic_meringue, 18 Jul 2007.

1. aquatic_meringue

aquatic_meringue New Member

Hey all,
    Well, I've just moved, and I now have a desk large enough to accomodate something a little nicer than my creaking old 19" LCD screen. I've been doing some research on both monitors and tvs (I also need a tv...bear with me...) and I cant decide on what to do. I think I've got the following options:

a) Buy a tv (I was thinking of a Samsung 32" jobbie), and a DVI -> HDMI adaptor or two. That way I could plug in my 2 PCs, and my 360, and be able switch between the sources at will.

b) Buy a nice monitor - around 24" seems to be my budget, and a tv card for my PC. Not sure about being able to connect three inputs into the monitor though.

c) Go for a monitor and a tv. This covers all bases, but is by far and away the most expensive, and cluttered, solution.

I'm currently leaning towards a), but I'm not sure about how well a tv would be able to deal with the desktop resolution I'd want. b) gets me the resolution, but not as much screen size, and I'd need some advice on a monitor that can accept inputs from (ideally) 2 DVI inputs and a 360 input.

Im really hoping for some advice here. What do you guys think?

A_M

2. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

If you get a 32 inch tv then the likely hood is the most you will get is 1366x720 in the resolution stakes, could you live with that as you resolution?

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

A good 24" monitor (a la Dell 2407) has DVI + HDCP, VGA, Component, Composite and S-Video inputs (aswell as USB hub and Card reader) so that's a good way to get full high def (1920x1080) output, and it goes up to 1920x1200

4. aquatic_meringue

I'm not too sure, to be honest. Because I've been cramped for space until my move, I've only ever had a 19" running at a fairly bog standard 1024 x 768 res. I'm not too sure how limiting a tv's resolution would be when driving a 32" screen.

I'm aware that monitors will provide better resolution, and therefore more real estate, but I'm struggling to find a monitor that can cope with as many inputs as tvs can. I could probably stretch my budget to something like a 30" screen, if I found a solution to getting the signals into the thing :)

Should I be thinking about some form of input switcher, and going with a decent monitor instead?

5. DougEdey

I use a KVM for my 360, PC and Laptop on the VGA. I have another PC on DVI (will be PS3 on that aswell) and 360 Component in aswell (just in case)

6. aquatic_meringue

The KVM idea is certainly worth exploring, and one I'd looked at before. However, I gave up when I found it difficult to find a KVM that dealt with DVI rather than just VGA. Can you recommend a box that is suitable?

For info, my setup would be as follows:

2 x PCs, both with DVI ouputs.
    1 x keyboard and mouse, both USB
    1 x 360, coming over component. (though im more than willing to buy a new cable if required).

If I went down that route, I'd also need a decent tv card for one of the PCs. I've had a cheap MSI usb card before, but wasnt impressed with it, so would need to get something a bit better. That's also something I'd need advice on :)

7. DougEdey

My 4-port VGA one (standard PS/2 & VGA) was £8 off ebay.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

For TV cards, you can get yourself a twin-tuner digital card now, so you can have a PC as a miniature Sky+ affair (obviously with fewer channels).

I have a question (not wanting to threadcrap), but as Doug has said it, I thought I'd ask, can you connect a PS3 via DVI and get proper 1080p? Is it a specific kind of DVI? Sounds stupid, but all these connections and types of DVI have started to confuse me...

9. aquatic_meringue

If I went down the KVM route, I'd definitely need a USB / DVI switch I think. My mouse and keyb are both USB (G15 and MX revolution), and I'm assuming I'd have better picture quality with a DVI cable. One thing which does trouble me is that most KVMs seem to be limited on the resolution they can support. If I go with a monitor, I could probably stretch to a 30" display, and obviously that can cope with much higher res than the KVM can output. Graphics wise, I'd be running it in max res, as I've got a 8800GTX so think it can handle it. the other pc doesnt have quite the same punch, so I would run a different resolution on that desktop.

Hmm, still cant decide - maybe if I detail what I use it for it will help. I will be wanting to browse the internet, game, watch tv and movies, and play my 360 on it. The odd word / Excel doc will be created too, but that's a far more rare occurance than firing up Half Life :)

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

How about the middle-ground between the 24" and the 30" screen? You could get a 26-27" screen, which provides plenty of real-estate whilst still having plenty of inputs, and having a res. that a KVM can cope with.

11. DougEdey

Krikkit: PS3 has HDMI, HMDI == DVI + HDCP, Dell 2407 supports DVI and HDCP.

One 8800GTX may power some games at 2560x1600 but not at high specs.

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

There are a few hybrid tv/monitors with built-in tuner, sound, and scart socket (for STB or PVR), plus the usual monitor fittings, such as this LG. They'll work as a TV with the PC switched off.

13. aquatic_meringue

Well, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the dell 27 incher. It has enough connectors to allow me to connect my 360 and my main pc to, and i can always remote desktop to the other pc.

Anyone got one of the 27 inchers? what's your opinion on it?

14. DougEdey

I have the 24", but the 27" is exactly the same but with a higher .pitch, so the pixels are spread out a lot more but has the same resolution.

15. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/displays/review/2007/06/19/Dell-UltraSharp-2707WFP-27in-LCD-Display/p1

I'd go for that, or the 24" Dell. I'd HATE to use a TV as a main monitor. You need to sit at least 4-5ft back to see properly. With that out of the way, buy the monitor and connect one computer via DVI, and the other one via VGA (use a DVI-VGA convertor if necessary). Run the Xbox via component and you're away - switch inputs via the monitor. With the mouse issue, use a normal KVM and one of those USB --> PS2 convertors.

16. aquatic_meringue

Hmm, really weird. I decided to go for the 27", but the dell site has suddenly put another £200 onto the cost price. The 30" is now cheaper than the 27" one - not sure I understand why.

Tags: