Windows To Vista, or not to Vista..

Discussion in 'Software' started by NaNeil, 18 Jul 2008.

1. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Maybe I should have emphasised that it was just my opinion that there's no major advantage swapping at all unless he's going 64-bit to use the extra RAM.
    Also, if he sees anything on the features list that is a 'must have' then obviously, go for Vista.
    Its just that in my opinion, I'd pick XP over Vista.

There might be something to you saying I need to open my mind more.
    I guess its just that I am so comfortable with XP, moving to something which I feel restricts me is not great.
    Still, I've been using it for well over a year now and still don't like it so its not like you can't say I didn't give it a chance. :)

2. NaNeil

NaNeil What's a Dremel?

Perhaps this thread shows that all in all, it does come down to personal preference - and whether you are prepared to accept some of the niggles and interface changes :) Asking which to use is a bit like asking a bunch of people whether chocolate or vanilla ice cream is better, and there are positives and negatives for both sides of the fence. I'll be running my new system on vista 64bit and xp for a while, and will see how it goes... Thanks for all the advice!

PS Airchie - Blue from dpc here :)

3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper What's a Dremel?

@airchie read this about the 64bit over 32bit stuff. It's a great article.
    And I realy hate the way you write software like you writing pancak. Just the way some people over simplefy stuff realy bugs me. :wallbash: I heve some things I want to say about the DirectX discution, but this realy is not the thread. :blah:

@3dHeli I think you can install 64bit Vista with your 32bit key. You just need to get a 64bit installation disc. I'm not sure though.

As for the Folder problem - isn't it just a matter of folder options? You just untick the "Remember each folder's view settings." option.

And finally: Vista realy get under my skin. There were some things that realy buged me in the begining, but when we get to know each other I find out that the user interface is not that much diferent than the one in XP and in fact there is nothing chop off it and many little things are added... And you can get the Recycle Bin of your desktop.

In the end: If you have the hardware and are willing to try something new - go for Vista, If you don't have the hardware or just don't feel the need to change the OS - use XP.

P.S. I realy love the XP vs Vista threads. They are always good amusement. :)

4. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Hehe, hi Blue. :)
    Everyone knows vanilla is better. ;)

I remember reading that. It does highlight that there's more to going 64-bit than just addressing more RAM which is great.
    But, if I don't have the system for it, its not going to be much better than 32-bit Vista.
    Certainly not for me IMO, others might want to go the 64-bit route regardless which is obviously their choice. :)

Eh? :D

Feel free to start another thread and we can discuss it in there?
    Or just fire it in here since Its deviated way off course anyway and the OP has been answered.

I wish.
    I've bashed about in the options etc for ages and even now, if I hook up a new camera/flashdrive or attach to my NAS's music folder, it wants to start listing things like bitrate etc.
    Or my NAS's pictures share and it insists on showing thumbnails.
    I just want to view the 'details' every time no matter what, is that so hard? :D

Pretty much agree but I would change this slightly to "In the end: If you have the hardware and are willing to try something new - go for 64-bit Linux or Vista, If you don't have the hardware or just don't feel the need to change, don't." :)

You betcha! :D

5. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Why not start a Vista vs Linux thread? I can bet there'll be blood on the walls by evening :naughty:

Andy

6. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

LMAO!!! :D

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

and i 3rd that :)

sorry about late reply, only had my iphone for the weekend, no FF or a keyboard means no series discussion possible :rolleyes: but im very happy that many people have joined in the discussion.

here's a solution for viewing settings: remember this shortcut key combo: ALT + V, then D.

8. Fredrics

Fredrics Hmm...

Here's a better one

9. Grasshopper

Grasshopper What's a Dremel?

I don't think there are bases for comparison.
    Vista is lika a family car - you can do many things with it, but if you want it to do some highly secific task you need to go and purchase the tools and parts.
    Linux is like a custom build lorry - it do the tasks it is build for great and you have the means to make it do other tasks as well, but you need to do the setting yourself.
    The two OSes are just differnt.

10. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Another thing about linux is that even though they pretty much all share the same core, there's loads of different builds and distros.

You have your ultra-light sports cars like DSL or Puppy Linux.
    Your family-car-alikes lke Ubuntu
    Kit cars like slackware
    And everything inbetween.

Then once you have your base car, you can mod it to within an inch of its life with stick-on parts from Halfords. :D

11. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

If you cant decide weather to use Vista or not i think you should take a look at this site. LINK

12. staples

staples What's a Dremel?

Can't find the system specs of the systems they used!
    Anyone ever see the specs of the laptops AOL gave away with broadband, no wonder Vista has a bad name!

13. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Hehe, the good-ol' mojave experiment.
    As we've said, Vista is a personal preference.
    How can they state a preference if they've never used it?
    I have and I personally don't like it much and would use XP if there was drivers for my laptop and I could be bothered to switch.
    Its only a typing and browsing machine anyway so not too bothered tbh.

Tags: