1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Todd Hollendhead defends Doom 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 Jul 2008.

1. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

2. karx11erx

karx11erx New Member

DOOM 3 was a game? I thought it was a tech demo. I hated the game. Repetitive is a compliment. It also was predictable, and what the game lacked in real challenge, the designers tried to compensate with dark levels where you never saw where the enemies came from. Truly a game from hell.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

4. mmorgue

mmorgue New Member

Yep -- that's the way the game should've been played -- with the duct tape mod. Otherwise i could have turned the lights off at home and walked around the hallway.. same effect LOL :)

5. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Damn you!!!! Will I never be rid of the memory my one, solitary moment of weakness? :waah:

But you're right either, they had SO much good stuff planned, and then went and dumbed it all down for some reason. id were always good at engines and second by second gameplay, but have never been good at looking at the larger picture of a game.

Still, at least they look like they're trying something new with Rage. As far as I can recall, no-one really made an FPS/Racing game before.

6. Xir

Xir Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll look it up :D

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I've had Doom 3 installed for a while now, and *still* haven't finished it. The graphics and atmosphere are great, but the game itself is pretty boring.

Quake 4, which I *did* play through (and fairly quickly), was created by Raven Software, which I still think is best at using id's technology to make games (with the exception of Valve). I, for one, always found Raven's Heretic and Hexen series more entertaining than id's Doom and Quake.

8. scuzzphut

scuzzphut perfectly normal

Agreed - very tough to finish - but I liked it a lot. The atmosphere scared the living crap out of me at times

Tags: Add Tags