1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Tom Clancy's The Division Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 16 Mar 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

That review was absolutely bang on.

Excellent stuff. Shame we can't say the same about the game!

3. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Think I'll be giving that one a miss.... yet another case of Ubisoft taking a great idea and then succumbing to the notion that a game must be all things to all people, and thus have the most generic design possible. All things apart from "decent", that is.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Apparently this game is breaking sales records.

http://blog.ubi.com/the-division-sets-new-sales-records/

Maybe because they did the Beta?

If that's so then wow, people must be really desperate. I tried it myself and after spending over five minutes running to where I was supposed to be I got to do some shooting but it was anything but exciting.

5. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

I don't think the review accurately reflects the game (regarding the comments related to gameplay/dark zone), as with all MMO's the endgame starts at max level.
    The Challenge missions are actually fun and challenging, which I find much better than the Dark Zone.

One of the gripes I do have is with the "cover controls" they can be very erratic, which leads to some frustration

6. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Yeah this sums up what I suspected:

"Sadly, the Dark Zone's dastardly delights equally highlight how comparatively shallow the other side of The Division is. The theme-park MMO structure that comprises the game's meat simply isn't that well suited to its disaster-movie setting. What deserves to be a dynamic, tactically thrilling experience is held back by hamster-wheel game design whose only long-term mode of engagement is to occasionally spit out a new gun. The Division could have been DayZ's daddy. Instead it's ended up Destiny's child, and is undoubtedly worse off for it."

The whole XP pinata is really off putting to me, glad I kept clear of this one.

7. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

How much for a pc game? they used to be £30 when i was a lad!

8. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

The Division could have been DayZ's daddy. Instead it's ended up Destiny's child, and is undoubtedly worse off for it.

Best. Review. Summary. Ever.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

The Division is Destiny in a modern world is one way of looking at it. It has a similar end game to Destiny repeatable daily quests and a weekly quest.

They are both MMO in name only in reality, You do not have to play with anybody to get the gear.

10. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

I saw a beta vid of it on youtube and what immediately put me off was how bullet spongy the enemies were.

I could understand in Destiny that they have high tech shields or armor, but these guys have a cloth covering their faces and that makes them capable of eating three clips of ammo in the face? Kills any immersion completely.

Time to kill plays an important part in games for me now. For that reason, I can't play Borderlands 2 + Pre-sequel. If you want to make it a challenge, then make hordes of enemies, but don't compress all their health in one enemy. Even if he explodes in a rainbow of multi colored loot upon death.

11. gw74

gw74 What's a Dremel?

it would be easier to gauge your conclusion if you provided a mark out of 100

12. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I think the conclusion is fairly clear from the words in the review.

13. Dogbert666

Please see http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2016/01/04/an-update-to-our-scores-and-awards-policies/2 on why we have dropped scores altogether.

In particular, for games with no award: "Any game in between Recommended and Bin would be one that is too flawed to be worthy of an award, but still has some merit. Again, if someone asked you, "should I buy X?”, your answer would always have caveats: "Maybe if you like X", "yes, but be warned that Y” or “Probably not, but it does have Z." Examples of these games include F1 2015, RONIN, and Evolve."

14. Dogbert666

Nevermind, I see that you actually posted on that article disagreeing with the entire idea of not having scores, so, uh, agree to disagree? :D

Fwiw, I do agree with the above that Rick's opinion is pretty clearly communicated here.

15. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I'm so glad I didn't buy this! almost dropped over £100 for two copies with the DLC. Oh well, back to the long list of games in my Steam Library I haven't played / completed!

16. Bede

Bede Minimodder

"Before we go into the nuts and bolts of the game, I just want to take a moment to say that good grief the politics of The Division are repugnant. For the first few hours, the individuals you're slaughtering by the hundred aren't organised terrorists or a rebel army, they're random people who live in New York. Sure, they may have turned to looting and thuggery in the wake of the disaster, but there's something about a steely-eyed, heavily armed military man blasting away folk wearing hoodies and wielding pistols and baseball bats that is deeply unsettling, especially given the current situation in the US when it comes to use of deadly force by the police."

Few issues with this, though your analysis of the game itself is spot on.

- Looting has had the punishment of summary execution for centuries
    - Comparing peacetime policing with state of emergency military deployment is pointless
    - Pistols and baseball bats are deadly weapons, just be thankful the looters aren't more heavily armed

17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

1. http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2016/03/11/stop-moaning-price-games/1
    2. when I was young, eating at a restaurant with my parents was 50 Marks, now it's 50+ Euros. That's a double-up. But there is this small thing called inflation to consider after all...

If the comment was meant to be sarcastic I may have failed to notice that and want to apologize in advance. :thumb:

While I do agree that some of the game-/gunplay can feel repetitive, the enemies are bullet sponges and the story is far away from great writing and voice-acting I do enjoy the game quite a bit. It is fun to perfectly time that sniper shot after supressing an enemy using a gun turret. Or flanking the enemy while your mate(s) keep the enemies' attention on them, thus giving you simple execution-style headshots from behind. Or simply climbing on a roof to "investigate" only to suddenly stop in awe because of the absolutely gorgeous cityscape and dynamic light and weather effects. Speaking of weather, it does feel great to walk down a couple of streets while the fog/snowfall slowly gets thicker and arriving at an "Encounter" with less than 10m of clear view ahead of you.

So, I guess to sum it up: there is a lot of positive sprinkled with negative aspects. If you focus on the negative the game is a failure in not living up to its potential. If you, on the other hand, enjoy it for what it is you can have a lot of fun in a city as detailed as they come in video games.

One last question: why would the streets be filled with copious potential enemies when the whole city was depopulated by a virus? Well, two... we all knew the game would be highly instanced, didn't we?

18. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Those were the days.. Deutsche Mark - that was a proper currency. Then you got euros and everything went south...

Back to the subject - I played my first 3 hours in that game and first thing that really pisses me off is what you all already mentioned - bullet sponges. Jesus... I hit them all in a head and they keep walking! They have hoods on their heads! Even when I hit their faces! Common! It seriously takes away all the fun from the game! Why did they do that?

19. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Loving that visual downgrade...

20. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Money saved for when FFXV comes out then. Totally different game I know but money saved is no different to money earned so I can spend that on something else.

I was hoping it would be a more engaging version of the ghost recons but as you've mentioned in the review, it's all too much of a confused mash to be worthy of a purchase. Shame really.

Tags: Add Tags