1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Too hot for Folding?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by The Jambo, 27 Dec 2008.

1. The Jambo

The Jambo Last on the scene

With the addition of 8GB to my PC, ive had to reoverclock it, since the RAM no longer wanted to work at ridiculous speeds.

While I was at it, i reclocked the CPU (to lower the FSB), and while doing so, my CPU has now peaked and plateaued at 73 degrees under a full load on WPrime1024.

Seeing as it made it through the test, it seems pretty stable still. (somehow)

What temps are others reaching here with Q6600's?

CPU: 370*9 = 3330MHz
    Rated FSB: 1480Mhz

I should probably note that I'm using stock cooling at the mo.

2. jeffbr13

jeffbr13 New Member

Wow, stock cooling? :eeek: @ 3.3GHz? Not surprising that it hits those temps!
    I don't think that leaving that on folding for any extended period of time is really going to be that wise unfortunately. You should probably invest a little bit more to get a better cooler, to ensure you don't wake up to a room full of magic smoke. :rolleyes:
    This one is particularly good value, IMO.

3. The Jambo

You may be correct there, I've always been putting off installing another cooler for the hassle, but it seems like its time.

However, while im installing one, i may as well go the whole way and get a big one so i can push it even more.

Any thoughts about the Scythe Mugen (Infinity) Cooler, anyone?

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

5. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

The higher you want your overclock to be, the more you will need to spend on the cooler for your processor. You can get very good overclocks from the £25+ range from what ive read and seen about...my £15 arctic freezer 7 just doesnt really keep things that low unfortunatly :(

6. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Well, I guess the Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme (TRUE) still is the king in air cooling, but it ain't cheap.

7. The Jambo

I've decided to go for the Blue aurora on your recommendations (don't let me down!) Along with some Arctic Silver 5 and a new Antec 1200 case ^.^

8. jeffbr13

jeffbr13 New Member

Excellent choices, if I do say so myself :D.
    What I would have if prices weren't so high at the mo. :wallbash:
    Damn Q6600s cost as much as they did @ the start of the year :waah:
    So it's the Akasa 965 for me and an XClio case. Because it gives the impression of awesome cooling :hehe:

Tags: