1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Too strong of Wi-Fi reception

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by b_dyche, 15 Sep 2004.

1. b_dyche

b_dyche New Member

I never thought there was such a thing, but there is. I don't know why, or how, but my roommate's computer keeps picking up connections to about a half-dozen Wi-Fi capable routers in my apartment complex, and, try as I might, I can't get it to stop. I put a name on the network, changed the channel, and she hasn't complained about it yet today, but I have a feeling she will wind up losing the connection to my router, and picking up someone else's. Why would it do such a thing?

2. jezmck

jezmck Well-Known Member

windows xp seems to auto connect to any wireless network it can - see if you can persuade it to only do so with your own network.
    right-click the wireless icon > view wireless networks

let us know some more details - has she got XP SP2? etc

3. Lucifer

Lucifer New Member

paper your walls with tinfoil

4. dmcm01

dmcm01 Banned

when life gives you lemons........use its free internet..... :D

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hell yea, im still using TinasWiFi connection.

6. KriTip

KriTip New Member

Just add encyryption to your connectio, think of all the connections you can connect to, everyone else can connect ot yours!! :worried:

Surly the windows software can specify a defualt connection, otherwise, i generally find the manf. own utils are better, haven't tried wifi since SP2 though!

Kristian

7. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

Associate with the AP you want, then turn off the wireless zero thingy service. This should force you to to stay associated with the AP.

Tags: