1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Tools - Best ones

Discussion in 'Modding' started by tylerpestell, 24 Oct 2005.

1. tylerpestell

tylerpestell What's a Dremel?

I am in the market for some good tools.
    I was thinking of getting a dremel and some nice attachments etc.

Now I am wondering if I should just get a drill, jigsaw and router.
    Any suggestions on specific brands, models?
    I have heard DeWalt and Milwaukee are good.

I will mainly be working with Alu., Plexi and Wood. I want to be able to work on larger projects in the future such as furniture.

Trying to think of all the tools I will need because as it stands I have one tool to my name ... and that is a screwdriver (not the best modding tool)

Maybe even post pictures of your own tools.

2. mandy_modded

mandy_modded Minimodder

try to avoid anything that is dirt cheap, and look at the quality of the build.

like with cars, cheap usually =cr*p, and at the other extreme ultra expensive your paying for name not quality.

in australia dewalt are pretty pricey, and considered tradesmans tools, i use bosch power tools as they are top of the home users range.

try and get good quality drill bits (and keep wood and steel bits seperate, nothing kills a good drill faster than trying to drill steel with wood drills) a drill sharpening tool pays for itself, so you may want to add one to you wish list.

the router you may like to leave till you really need one, routers tend to be expensive toys that usually sit on a shelf rarely if ever used, an option is 2 hire one if needed.

for modding taps are commonly used on these forums, buy a tap handle then the sizes you need as you need them, the sets are usually cheap junk, and most comps only use several sizes (water cooling is another case, and those sizes aren't in cheap kits)

a good craftsman never blames his tools, but on the other hand good quality mostly comes from craftsmen that work with quality tools.

good luck and have fun

3. tylerpestell

tylerpestell What's a Dremel?

Could you possibly provide a link for taps specific to computer sizes? Also if you know of a specific kit I should get that would be great ... as it stands I have about $500 to spend.

4. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

DeWalt make some of the best readily available kit you can buy. My dad's got a cordless jigsaw of theirs, cost over £300 but can cut just as well as an AC tool and goes for 3 times as long as cheaper ones.

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

My dad has about £5000 worth of DeWalt tools at home (he's a carpenter), including a £600 drill, the batteries alone costs £150. They are superb quality, and he still has a DeWalt drill which he has had for nearly 10 years, and after some replacement batteries is still going strong. There is another good one he uses but can't remember the name, but all their tools comes in pale dark green.

What you pay for isn't always what you get, but even the cheapest of the good brands will do you well. If you are going to use the tools a lot, it is best to get an expensive one as it will be cheaper in the long run.

Don't get black and decker!

6. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

those are probably makita, and yeah, they are really good, but usually even more expensive than dewalt. they call them contractor grade, which essentially means that unless you are using the tools to make money, you probably can't afford them

7. Mukka

Mukka What's a Dremel?

I think you should buy the right tool for the job if you are going to be drilling through walls everyday putting the drill through alot of strain then buy the top market stuff but if its for modding you dont need anything fancy Black and Decker is perfectly fine to use for modding because the most u will ask it to do is drill through 1mm ali or steel even a hand drill would do that my current drill is black and decker ive had loads of use out of it. it cost me £25 for homebase and it does most day to day house hold tasks no doubt the more expensive stuff is higher quality and will last longer but its not worth buying dewalt and hitatch stuff if your only going to be drilling 1mm ali seriously dont waste your money i have used many different drills as i have worked for carpters before and they swear by dewalt and hitatchi but they are expecting there drills to go on all day without a recharge and to take the abuse that every day use gives them your choice but you only need to spend £25

8. johan

johan What's a Dremel?

I'd get cheaper tools to start with, especially if you only have $500 to spend. Then when you have some experience get better quality tools for the jobs you do frequently. Otherwise chances are you'll spend $200 on some tool you'll never use, just because it looked handy on display.

I'd get:

~$30 18V DC screwdriver/drill
    ~$100 Drill press
    ~$100 Jig saw
    ~$40 Orbital sander
    ~$30 Router

Then I would spend the remaining $200 on good drill bits, saw blades, clamps etc. Using cheap drill bits will cause you way more problems than a cheap drill will. Always try to use the right tool for the right job, if you need to saw in aluminum sheet metal get a saw blade made for that purpose not one used for thick steel or plastics.

just my 2 cents

.johan

9. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Yup, thats the one.

10. Jaxx

Jaxx What's a Dremel?

Black and Decker owns Dewalt.

11. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa What's a Dremel?

no way, dewalt and makita are the pro tools, all the dads use them :p

12. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

As far as rotary tools go I have tried about 6 different kinds and have settled with the Dremel brand.
    All the other brands either had physical design problems (uncomfortable grip, unbalanced weight, awkward variable switch) or just plain failed (burned out the motors on two of them, one of them almost did but instead now makes a high pitch whining noise).
    The Dremel brand is the only one I've found that is comfortable and has enough torque for what I need. Also the accessories available for this product makes you wonder why you would go to the other guys.

As far as overall power tools, I own Milwaukee, Dewalt and Makita.
    I like the Milwaukee's best because they are mad tough.

13. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

I have tons of tools, in fact i never have enough lol :hehe: And the best buy i ever made was my compressor and air tools.You will never find a better dremel like tool, the air cutter is much better. It costs a lot to start off but think of it like an investment.
    I also have electric ones but i like air tools best :naughty:

14. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

Yeah what's the torque on an air tool cutter and do they have smaller reinforced cutoff wheels like the dremel's do?

15. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Well torque is made with the gears in the tool like if you use a shock wrench used to tighten the nuts on the wheels of a car i'd say enough to rip out your wrist if you're not careful lol but a dremel like tool is much lower but i wouldn't try to stop one with my hands that's for sure. also the wheels are like 2 to 2-1/2 inches instead of the 1 inch regular dremel disks and in bonus you get that so nice to hear whhrrrrriiirrr sound :hehe:

There's always some compressor sales in one or the other hardware store also check out canadian tire since you're an upper american :hehe: i got mine from RO-NA dont know if they are in queerbec only :rolleyes:
    It's a 4 gal capacity small enough to bring to jobs and just strong enough for all the tools
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Oct 2005
  16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'm a fan of Craftsman myself, lifetime warrantee on everything. And overall good quality, at least on hand tools. No idea if there are Sears' outside of the states though.

As for stuff to get... a drill press is up on my list of wants, as is a router (cutting, not networking). A dremel is versatile but in reality not really great for anything except a few cuts where a reciprocating saw won't fit (though I do prefer the control it offers over an rec. saw, I can never seem to cut very accurately with those things). A decent set of hand tools is always a good idea.

Computer-type taps are M3 for optical drives and Lian Li cases, 6-32 for almost everything else. Watercooling used to primarily use 1/4NPT, it's now migrating towards 9/16-18 for American gear (more specifically dangerden and Polarflo) and G1/4 for European stuff (Alphacool, Innovatek, etc). G1/8 is used almost exclusively by Aqua Computer, though a few of their items also use G1/4 (G=BSPP).

I'd like a nice compressor setup, but realistically it doesn't make sense considering the investment I'd have to make and what tools I already have available. From what you're coming from, it could make more sense.

17. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

:hehe: Sears is like colds, it's everywhere and they do have good tools :thumb: whenever i go there with my wife i'm like a kid in a candy store lol
    :eeek: :waah: i want that one