1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Top 10 Games Chart

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Jul 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

It's interesting to note that the Valve Complete Pack is currently £25 (including Portal 2) whereas Portal 2 on its own is £30.

3. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

how come BFBC2 has suddenly got back into the charts. if there a discount on it that isnt marked?

4. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

1st day of the steam sale it was: £5 if I recall correctly.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

£5 for BFBC2, £10 for the whole pack. the discount wasn't marked.

Dirt 3 oh yeah! it's amazing, especially cat and mouse multiplayer mode.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Anyone still insisting that:
    • pricing doesn't matter
    • gamers wouldn't buy more games when they're cheaper because pirating is even cheaper
    • people are happy to pay 50€ for a premium product
    ??? :hehe:

7. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Sorry you go home with 3 Nos from the Judges.

.-

8. Everydayoddity

Everydayoddity What's a Dremel?

BFBC2 pack, Atom Zombie Smasher, Frozen Synapse and F1 2010 all say the Steam Sale technique still works on me! Couldn't bring myself to get a full pack thrpough, after dropping £70 on the Square Enix pack at Christmas...

9. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Quess what. I bought The Sims 3 in the steam sale, not for a gf, not for a sister, just for me.

Do I need help?

10. el_diablo_72

el_diablo_72 What's a Dremel?

SMIFFYDUDE 7 minutes ago Quess what. I bought The Sims 3 in the steam sale, not for a gf, not for a sister, just for me.

Do I need help?

Yes

11. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

"people are happy to pay 50€ for a premium product"

I'd pay £100 for a top drawer game like CS that I got 100's of hours from

12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Yes.

13. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Maybe not if you have never played a Sims game before, I was tempted to get it just so I could actually see was... I didn't, though.

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Cheaper games are always great, but you're implying some things that you can't support with evidence.

-Increased sales does not mean decreased piracy. Without any evidence to the contrary one could just as easily assume that the increase in sales is from players who neither pirated nor purchased the games on sale and are now willing to buy rather than go without the game. Cheers to such people, by the way, for simply not playing games they think aren't worth the cost.

-People may well pay 50€ for a premium product. The increase of sales when the price is lowered only shows that of the games in question the price was considered too high for the content for some potential buyers. People who bought games on sale may well have paid 50€ for a game if the game truly was a "premium product", however, many games aren't despite their price tags so people wait until sales.

As wiggles puts it:
    Pricing is a matter of how valuable people think an item is. It's not that people won't pay over a set amount of money for a game, it's that most games don't have enough content to be worth a large amount of money.

15. salesman

salesman Minimodder

Yes.

16. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

I bought Bioshock the other day, figuring it wouldn't go down in price, as I never saw it on sale. The next day, I saw mention somewhere of the Steam sale. Bioshock was $6 less than what I'd bought it for the day before. Nothing else caught my eye, so I came back the day after. Now it was on sale for 1/4 what I'd paid for it, and I was all 'FUUUUUUUU'

Then I got GTA IV Complete for $10, and I was good again :)

Steam is brilliant in that they lured me in a while back by giving the first Portal away. So I installed Steam, played the sh*t out of Portal and didn't think much more about it. Then I heard talk of a Steam sale. And another...and another. Now I have to force myself to not start Steam so I don't bankrupt myself on games...and I'm not even much of a gamer. Let me snag up good games for cheap (and I'm talking $20 max) and I'll buy them until I can't pay the rent anymore. Why do the big publishers not understand this? Why does a company like Sony think it's all right to charge $60 for a game while destroying its resale value? Sure, I might want to keep it forever, but chances are better I'd sell it at some point just to get rid of some clutter, maybe get a deal when Gamestop has a rare good deal on trading in used. Yeah, they're not a charity, profit above all, blah blah. FFS, don't crap in my shoe and pretend you did me a favor. Viva la Steam!

17. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

Couldn't resist Mass Effect 2 for less than 7 quid. Even though I still haven't finished Mass Effect. Still now I have some motivation.

18. Xir

Xir Modder

Neither is it the other way round is it? But that's what most anti-piracy cases are based on :D
    That was my thought really.

19. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Yes, without evidence to prove it any claims that decreased piracy equals increased sales are based on speculation as well.

Of course, with piracy it's hard to get an accurate measure on how many "copies" are pirated and most estimates are rejected by one of the two sides of the argument anyway. And that's assuming you've even got a clearly defined idea of piracy to be measured, everyone has their own idea of exactly what evidence points to a pirated "copy" of a game.

And then you've got the people who shoot holes in the whole piracy-sales correlation. Ones such as people who don't buy games they don't think are worth it but also don't pirate, they're a lost sale but aren't counted with pirates. Or the pirates who will never buy games, they're pirates but not exactly lost sales. It's all a very messy business.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2011
  20. veato

veato I should be working

I picked up L4D2 in the Steam sale for less than four quid! I wish I'd have picked up Portal 2 when it hit £14.99 too but I didn't and now I'm kicking myself.

Tags: Add Tags