1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Top 10 Games of The Year 2009

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 23 Dec 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'd like to remind everyone...

2. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I concur. I love the total war series but E:TW was released in such a ludicrously buggy state and remains so to this day. I've seriously struggled to return to it since getting half way through my canmpaign.

Also, Football Manager 2010 is clearly GOTY. Joe, why wasn't it on this list!

3. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

4. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I think the complaints for MW2 MP are unfounded (PC). Sure the system is annoying but once you get in you forget about all that in a melee of glorious violence. I am still playing (schedule permitting) for whole nights and when I realise I have to go to bed I feel like a disappointed child to have to stop.

Batman: AA was impressive and I thoroughly enjoyed it, glad to see it up there. I thought Mirrors Edge had been bashed to oblivion by most people but it seems now it might be worth a buy. (was recently on steam for almost nothing, missed that!)

I haven't played most the rest so - meh.

5. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

Results of the list aside, I just find it hilarious that people come on here and complain about the top ten without reading the article. It was USER voted. I have no faith in humanity for exactly this reason.

Still, some of my favourite PC games of 2009 are on the list. And very good games they are too!

6. fadi299

fadi299 What's a Dremel?

MW2 was a great game but it's not worth first place or even second IMHO!, i'd put it in 4th or 5th, it was a solid game overall, the single player was slightly better than the first, they actually managed to improve on it by making less american missions this time around and let you play more missions as the SAS, and we all know that the SAS missions were by far the highlight of the first game. still, the single player compaign felt disjointed and rushed in places and the storytelling was poor, it felt more like a bunch of maps or skirmishes than a smooth and free-flowing adventure...

Batman:AA is totally worthy of its second place, it was one of the most polished and complete games i played in a long time, it had enough variety, great level design, good story and some fun yet simple gameplay mechanics, i never really felt bored when i was playing it, the game always tried to mix things up and there were enough twists and surprises along the way....Batman:AA was a very high quality title and i was surprised by how good it actually was........bring on the sequel..

7. fadi299

fadi299 What's a Dremel?

ARMAII was GOTY for me!, absolutely amazing game, extremely ambitious and huge!, the game was a real system hog and it was a bit buggy but the gameplay was realistic, deep, entertaining and even revolutionary in places, a truly epic game with lots of possibilities, choices and things to do. it felt like real war.....the presentation could've been better and the controls are really complicated but once you get past those issues you're simply playing the best and most realistic military shooter ever...

Men of War was also great, i enjoyed a great deal, it was more like a deeper and most realistic version of CoH, presentation and production values are extremely dated but the gameplay is terrific and engaging....

TW:E was a disappointement for me, it was buggy as hell and there wasn't any huge improvements compared to the previous TW games, maybe it is just me but i felt unfinished, i actually uninstalled it long time ago and went back to TW:Medieval2..

L4D2 was great but it was more of the same and i thought it had some balancing issues but overall it was a great game, not really GOTY but still it was solid...

DA:Origins was truly awsome and i'd put it second or even third on my list. it's also nice to see Mirror's edge on the list, a game that i totally love and thought was criminally underrated!, it's sad that not many people really got what this game was all about...

8. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry, what?

9. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    So true.
    While Bit-Tech keeps the voting on those polls restricted to Newsletterers I will not vote.
    I should be able to vote using my already existing forum account.

Thats why I am not commenting on the polls results.
    It was released on a shameful state, but with the current patch its very enjoyable.
    Now that the AI makes amphibious invasions playing as Britain is no longer akin to cheating.
    Too bad the most recent nVidia drivers fubared the game.
    Enjoy the Christmas sale:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/17410

10. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Anybody get kickbacks for this. MW2 tops somehow I don't think so. There are better games out there and it did not improve from COD4 as far as I'm concerned anyway.

The single play is very short as well, with the multi-play causing so much controversy.

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Mw2 at number one? Shows how many retarded children we have loitering around here :grr:

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

No kickbacks. Activision barely even talk to us and, like I said, Modern Warfare 2 was an early leader from the very start in this user voted competition. I'm sat looking at all the email addresses and names of the voters right now - no way was it rigged.

It's worth remembering that, not only did I not vote, but I also actually had to buy my own copy of Modern Warfare 2 in order to review it - when Activision won't send us press copies then it's unlikely they'll bribe us for an award. Stop throwing baseless and faulty accusations around unless you can back them up.

If you want to look for a reason then there's only four options:

1) It is a good game and it's just that you don't like it
    2) You're a vocal minority overwhelmed by a silent majority
    3) Both 1 and 2
    4) It was the one game that nearly everyone played this year, thus the one game that nearly everyone voted for (with other votes divided amongst the other titles)

Of course, you could reword point 2 into this if you prefer:

13. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I played COD:MW2 up till stage 3, then I got nausea and had to stop. Been some time since I played an FPS, hence the nausea. Must say that it is amusing to see people skip to the GOTY, see that it isn't their GOTY, and whine about it in the forums, and have a subliminal message about the BT staff being assholes and making MW2 (which is soooooo not their choice when they voted) the number 1, when clearly it wasn't.

Truthfully I found Ninja Blade to be my GOTY, mostly because of the totally ridiculous and WTF-inducing todome's. Before the haters start whining, I don't deny that I'm odd.

14. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

I'd argue Arkham Asylum should be #1 on this list, but then I haven't played MW2 yet. I don't typically put much stock into the multiplayer aspects of a game (my experiences with MW1 usually involve "spawn, take five steps, turn a corner, get sniped by a grey guy hiding on the rooftop of a grey building surrounded by grey debris, repeat"), so I might be more kind than most to the game if the singleplayer side is solid. My only real gripe with the list would be the inclusion of Mirror's Edge, while it's an interesting experiment into new areas with a solid premise, the linear execution and punishing, schizophrenic gameplay really left a lot to be desired. Hopefully we see a sequel that acts as more of a sandbox game; give players an entire city to parkour through and they won't stop playing for weeks.

15. Dannythemusicman

Dannythemusicman What's a Dremel?

COD MW2 is a fantastic game - no question about this. Those people who are still whining about the lack of dedicated servers need to pull their heads out - this award wasn't about what games 'could of been...' but what they are. The award is also user voted! I pretty much agree with the list above, though I haven't tried L4D2 yet - need to try this and see if it really is worth getting over L4D.

I still reckon CoJ Bound in Blood should of made the list!

16. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

I think MW2 is a great public multi player, if your after a casual bit of shooting guys in the head it's a good game (Though i'd rather do it in TF2). Maybe this shows how many "Casual" gamers are in the market? I thought L4D2 may have taken it but i think the sheer volume of people who have played MW2 made it inevitable.

17. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I think MW2 got to no.1 because it was one of the few games nearly everyone has played. It may have been everyone's third choice, but if enough people vote for third choice then it wins.

Personally, I'd always rather see Bit's own top 10, as I trust them to have a good opinion, and I trust them to have played all the games. My three votes were the only three games I'd played, and I think a lot of people are in the same boat. It's probably a bit late now, but maybe next year do two lists, or even a Strictly Come Dancing style 50/50 importance split between the Bit vote and the public vote.

My one and only choice in the top 10 was L4D2, and I'm happy with third place.

18. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

L4d2 and Batman well worth the place.

Dont anyone blame bittech for MW2 being first, as it was our votes that decided it. Besides, I think it deserves to be in the top 3 down to the single player, multiplayer isn't everything. I for one found both batman and MW2 single player outstanding. MW2 takes over batman for it's multiplayer, sure - imba and the connection **** is annoying. But if you get on a server with some mates over mics and have a good go at it with good players, wow it's fun.

19. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Could it just be that MW2 is a highly polished and generally superb game? There's a reason we gave it 9/10 and an excellence award you know.

Nevertheless I'm pleased and not a little vindicated that it's been voted top by you, our readers. Makes fielding all the MW2 flames back in the MW2 review thread worth it.

Incidentally, I'll be keeping to my word and will be working 4th-8th of January wearing my Kevlar US Army helmet. Pics to follow!

20. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Well Baz you can polish a turd. Dorodango..........

MW2 was fun the first 30days but seemed built more for kiddies with A.D.D. Well...atleast the majority of people I had to group with or play against.

Top 10 maybe but lower down the pole.

Tags: Add Tags