1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding top blow holes and ping pong balls

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Splynncryth, 5 Sep 2003.

1. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

The case CPU temp in my YY cube case were way too high simply because the hot air had no good way out of the case (disadvantage to not having the PSU at and exhaust fans at the top). My solution was to put two blow holes in the top on eather side of the HSF. No picks, one hole isn't right, and I'm trying to figure out how to fix it. I'm rather embarrassed.
    But with the airflow from them, I was thinking of trying to float a ping-pong ball on the air stream. I don't have a ping-pong ball handy to try this with, but my attempts with aper balls and such have ben unsuccessful. Anyone else ever try this? Might be cool looking at LAN parties, especially with a UV CCFL fan and a vinyl dyed ball :)

2. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

would look very cool :) just make sure you get the fan right way round or you will end up with a shredded tennis ball lol

3. EnderG60

EnderG60 What's a Dremel?

yeah just use a tennis ball tube for a shroud and stick the pingpong ball in there...might have to do some shortening to get it at the right height but it would be cool

4. malcs

would be cooler if you could have some kind of smoke below the ball, or even just tint the plexi below the ball :D

5. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

You'd need to overcome the ball's urge to drop into the fan's dead spots though.

But that would be a cool mod. :naughty: Get at it.

6. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

just get a TMD fan :D

7. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

:duh: Good thinking :lol:

8. death_star

death_star What's a Dremel?

Hah, get a video of that, that sounds awsome!!

9. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

I tried this year ago and it proved to be a no go in open air. With those regular fans, cotton balls would be light enough to "float" on air. PingPong balls etc. are way too heavy. By forcing the air via a tube that is just slightly wider than the ball's diameter might work but it would mean that you are wasting some cooling power for this eye candy.

10. malcs

yeah but still japala you have to admit that it would look pdc-- pretty damn cool :D

11. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

if you came to a Lan i was at, I would have to say I would just steal the ping pong balls

12. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

I have tried this using a styrofoam ball (and a straw with one widened end. If works great. If you are going to a lan, just make a cage to put over it, so Lazy won't reach it.

13. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

Malcs, it would look "interesting". Don't know if that would be cool or not but... Maybe if combined with something else. Perhaps something to mimic those panels on old submarines that had these floating pearls on those glass tubes to tell you the depth etc...

14. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I think I'm going to try a nozzle and see if I can do a free air ball that way. Wasted cooling power isn't that much of an issue, I went overkill to start with. The hard part will be trying to get good laminar flow.
    I'm trying to track down a good source of supplies at my new location to finish a few projects (or at least progress them), and try some new ones I've though of (light up CD-ROM tray anyone?)

15. bard

Splynncryth, you would probably need something "vase" shaped, a duct that is thinner on the middle, to remove the dead spot from the fan.

.......Ball........
    ......|.....|.......
    .......\.../........
    ......./...\........
    ....../.....\.......
    .......Fan........

16. Amorphus

Amorphus What's a Dremel?

with an 80mm fan, assuming a 25mm hub, the duct would have to taper to roughly 75mm, but I'd advise 70-75mm range, to eliminate the dead air. of course, given enough distance (prolly about a foot, I dunno), the dead spot would eventually disappear anyways. =)

of course, you could just have a conical duct, and have it taper off, into a cylindrical duct a little wider than the pingpong ball.

man, I loved that trick with the blowdryer. you know you can hold it at an angle, and it will stay? :naughty:

(well, within the airstream, until it fell out of range...)

17. bard

What? The hairdryer can fly? :D :D :p

18. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

i remember seeing this idea w/ big industrial fans and beach balls... ah, that brings me back...

I'd get >1 fan blowing it at once. make an inverted Y shaped duct, and have two fans bloying in the "V" part of the Y and the ball above the "I" part of it.

----------
    ----*O**--
    ----****----
    ----****----
    ----I***I----
    ----I***I----
    ---/****\---
    --/**/\**\--
    -/**/--\**\-
    -[==]---[==]

(the [==]'s are fans, the *'s are the moving air, and the O is the ball)

how do you like my text illustrating abilities? Vantec Tornados :thumb:

19. NissanFrontier

NissanFrontier What's a Dremel?

I don't know hardly anything about this kind of stuff but I had an idea so I decided to post it to see if it would help.

What if you put a fan at the top of the tube? Would that create enough pressure to pull a ping pong ball up? I know stacking two fans don't push more air but if I remember correctly don't it create more pressure? Like said I don't know hardly anything about this stuff, just thought I would post it.

20. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

good thinking, but i think it's the speed of the air wich holds the ball