1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TorrentSpy going down?

Discussion in 'General' started by Morphine-Kitty, 11 Jun 2007.

1. vetlel

vetlel What's a Dremel?

That's what everyone always thought, but never bothered to check:

2. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

But...sealand claims to be it's own country...it's a tricky one...

3. quack

quack Minimodder

And you're going to take Sealand's own website as fact? Of course it says that!

Fort Roughs was created outside the existing 3nm of territorial waters held by the UK. In 1968 no one owned it. In 1987 the limit was increased to 12nm, causing Fort Roughs to fall within the UK's territory from that time onwards.

The only reason Sealand exists is because it's a waste of time and money trying to take it back. Their claim to be an independant nation is ignored by every other sovereign nation, and there was no way they could ever let something illegal (under UK law) such as The Pirate Bay to exist on their platform, because they know the UK government holds jurisdiction. Plus the Bates' are all still UK citizens.

Sealand is not a country, and never will be.

4. vetlel

vetlel What's a Dremel?

@ Quack: Wouldn't it be strange that, when a country by court order is proclaimed independent, that just changing your territorial water zones a bit, all of a sudden makes this sovereign state part of your kingdom again? I wonder why wars have been fought in the past!

I understand that the situation is a strange one, but as i understand, anyone can start a country (as it should be, we are all free to make our own choices, aren't we? Isn't this how lands got annexed into existing countries in the past? The americas come to thought...) Just as long as no one else can make a legal claim on the lands concerned. since Sealand was situated in such a no mans land, i figure this is how the principality got to exist. Will this have pi**ed of England? sure! Can they do something about it? Don't think so. Sure they can shout it is not fair all they want...

On the subject of changing your territorial boundaries as one pleases, couldn't sealand do the same then?

Just another case of big versus small, in my book, this. Plus the fact that peoples and countries are not used to situations like this anymore. (Last time a similar situation occurred was the Falklands i would have thought. And this being different all together, as The Falklands were internationally agreed to be British territory.

England just built a ''fortress'' (ugly pimple if you ask me.) at the wrong place at the right time. The world forgot and didn't care. Until some smarta*s saw the opertunity (sp?, lost it) and took it. Fair play, Sealand 1, England 0.

As the blokes still being English citizens? Sure, if they wouldn't be allowed to be, England would have to agree to the legality of the place. This way can can still claim a bit of ''rebellion''.

Edit: (To get this thread a bit back on topic)
    I remember another thread, not to long ago about international laws, internet and all that. People are getting used to a status quo. Which is never been like that before. Lands and laws, and the adaption/legality of these laws have always been changing.

Looking at the most definite turbulant times we live in. Communist china -they still are communist, no?- is our capitalist friend now. Russia has turned it self in a teddy bear. The rise of a new international ''nation'', the internet, people have there hands on more information and means of communication then ever before. I would think a radical new way of thinking is in order. People can not be held silent anymore by the antiquated means of yesterday. Religion in on a steady decline, countries or the power of goverments, are crumbling. Enemies become friends, and vice versa. (Cuba is one of the biggest holiday destinations for spanish people. American boycot? F**k you USA! ?I liky sigars, mojitos and the Salsa. Vamonos! (I love this...)

The rules are changing! Yeah baby! And all for the better, me thinks

I'll stop now, before i keep on rambling. But for me these things are connected...

Edit2:

Denying Rights to Miniscul, but not stupid, underdogs. :hehe:

Last edited: 17 Jun 2007
  5. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

What has my thread become, the "Make up witty sayings" thread? :p

Is it just me, or is Sealand a lame name for a country/area/whatever you want to call it?

6. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

News on the subject this thread was started for:

Bye Bye TorrentSpy and ISOHunt, Both Plan to Start Filtering Copyrighted Content

TorrentSpy decides to not block US visitors and chooses to filter pirated content from its search results instead, something which ISOHunt plans to do as well.

It's a sad day for those in the US who use TorrentSpy or ISOHunt, two of the world's largest public trackers sites, to find movies, music, and more to download for it seems the party's nearing an end.

TorrentSpy and ISOHunt plan to use a hash-based system called FileRights to automatically filter BitTorrent trackers that link to pirated content from its search results to help satisfy a suit brought against them by the MPAA for the illegal facilitation of copyrighted material.

FileRights will use file hashes provided by individual copyright owners of their content that will detect and remove any torrent trackers that link to unauthorized copies. Copyright owners sign up for an account with the system and then enter the hash values of their content into the system database. FileRights will then automatically remove any links to this content.

The site says it works as follows:

FileRights.com maintains a large database of copyrighted works managed by the content holders themselves. This database forms a master list of copyrighted materials that should be removed from BitTorrent sites. When a content holder uploads information about the works they have found on a bittorrent site FileRights then distributes this information to our website subscribers so that work can be removed (filtered) from their search results. The entire process is automated to minimize the effort required by both the content holder and website operator.

A sad day for BitTorrent programs everywhere. Goodbye TorrentSpy and ISOhunt, may your piracy-aiding ways rest in peace.