1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Toshiba or SONY?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OutsideSales, 16 Nov 2005.

1. kiljoi

kiljoi I *am* a computer king.

Just to throw my $0.02 in, I just got a Toshiba over the weekend and I absolutely love it. Granted, it's my first laptop, but still.

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I can't comment on the others, but I'm really happy with my Compaq Presario R4065

Battery life seems to be about 3 hours surfing, it's quite sturdy and looks good.
    I can't fault it to be honest.

3. fatty

fatty Minimodder

The toshiba is a good laptop I do realy like the compaq though :D

4. Virtblue

Virtblue What's a Dremel?

It would realy depend on what you are looking for in a laptop, sony's t seris is rather hard to beat and toshiba's tablets pwn.

what are you looking for? ultra portable, desktop replacement, small package with some decent power?

5. ridiculous

ridiculous What's a Dremel?

i have an ibm t40 and with the big battery in i get 6 hrs of battery life which is so nice when going from class to class. Its also about 5 lbs so not to heavy in a backpack. However if my school didint have a support center for this model ibm i woould have gone mad long ago. Im currently on my 3rd motherboard with this thing, ive had my video fail, processor fan fail and middle row of the keyboard and video flicker all in about a year. All of the people i know that have thinkpads have sent them back to ibm for one reason or another but they all love it when it works. IMO i suggest you buy something more reliable than a thinkpad/vaio/dell such as a toshiba,asus or apple.

6. OutsideSales

OutsideSales What's a Dremel?

One of my friends told me his toshiba notebook is quite noisy~
    It might be the CPU~

7. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I have a toshiba laptop and it's very quiet. It's a Pentium 4 so does get quiet hot. But the centrino's run like it will never get hot, they are superb processors.

You will always get some laptops that have noisy fans, quiet often it's the dust building up and causing friction.

In fact if you blow into the fans (do it outside!) you'll be amazed how much dust comes out and how much cooler it runs afterwards!

I would still stick with Toshiba. Newer Sony laptops seem to have very short battery lives.

8. vts

vts What's a Dremel?

i have an acer one, and a few years back i had a loaned laptop off college, which was a toshiba, both are great, but 2 of my mates had different sony viao ones, and they both broke, hp laptops are pretty good too, my mates is still working perfectly - which she replaced the sony one with......just my 2 pence worth

9. darkhunter

darkhunter What's a Dremel?

toshiba aside from a few quirks in mine that were fixed real soon I love it and it works great

10. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

Ive got a Fujitsu siemens here, and aside from some niggles its got some great touches, things like a fan override button, so in a meeting you can shut it up for a few mins longer.

one thing to be carefull is that a mate of mine owns a toshiba, and its over heating as the cpu fan is full of dust, he cant do a thing as theres no way he can get to it without destroying the warrantie

However i can unscrew the pannel above my cpu fan, so a job thats taken him 3 weeks to get seen by customer support, and a large amount of time trying to hoover dust out of the back, would take me 5 mins give the fan a quick clean.

However sony vaios are fantastic, but then I know some one who had a hard disk failure, in one. Personaly IBM ***, in a laptop build quailty and screen is EVERYTHING.

11. OutsideSales

OutsideSales What's a Dremel?

how about the IBM right now?

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I've had an Acer 1672wlmi for a while and it's been faultless. Plays NFS:Most Wanted with the details turned down, HL2 with a few details turned up :)

I'm currently lusting after a Rock Extreme CT though.

13. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

Don't you know Toshiba's gonna go outta business once they lose the Blu Ray war, my suggestion stick with Sony cause they may own Toshiba one day.

14. seebul

seebul Minimodder

i dont think toshiba are going out of business......... :eyebrow:

15. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

sony vaio , I ALWAYS regret not spending a little more and getting the sony rather than the LG item (but thats just me)

16. mp3god

mp3god What's a Dremel?

I have a sony VGN-A290 and love it.... most of the time! the stats are to die for and it is pretty awesome but I hate all the Sony proprietary B$ that comes along w/ it plus my DW-D56a DVD burner has never seen 8x EVER + its real finicky about dvd+/- media, which is annoying. on the other hand the display it tits-up!. IMHO you would do well to invest your money into an HP or an ACER the accessories on the HP's are what do it for me very reasonably you can configure a box at their site [like Dell] to get it exactly how you like. If you do so I highly recomend upgrading the video to include the multi media option that gets you a tv tuner and capture capability [this may be through just an optional dongle, im not sure] also be sure to get a tru-brite type screen, it makes a big difference! Speaking of the screen, be sure to keep in mind what your preferred resolution is cause yer gonna have to live with it. ALSO>>> Get the accidental coverage warranty! ...and if you can, get it through the manufacturer - they are a little less expensive that way and you know that they will be able to fix anything I have dealt w/ this on both sides once with a contract from CompUSA [an american tech retailer] and through sony. Compusa sent my old lappy (a toshiba;) through their 'repair center' 5 TIMES without gettting it to werk. the Repair center actually sent it back to the store 5 times saying it was ready when it was still broke with the same issue. they eventually offered to replace for the original purchase value ($3000 -NICE!) which is how i got the Sony. I failed to mention i had just bought it on ebay for $1000 and it was the seller who had purchased the ext. warranty :D

The $3000 replacement was quite nice but i made sure to get an extended warranty on that too. It just so happened that very week Sony was selling their ownd policy's at 50% off so I got 4 yrs accidental coverage foe $227.00! since then the lapptop has been in once for a blown video card. I was pleased to find out that the policy was good for the entire 4 years regardless how many times it visited them!

SORRY! I was rambling there!

GEt an HP or an acer and the best extended warranty you can. The warranty will pay off in the long run even if it means smashing it yourself! (offer valid only w/ accidental coverage plans!)