1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Toslink adapter popping noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 27 Jan 2019.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I wanted to connect my speakers to my TV instead of my virgin box so that it works when I connect my computer.
    I ordered a popular model on ebay and it makes random popping noises. Is this likely to be the adapter or the optical cable? It looks like most models ship with the same cable.

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

I have realised the importance of using an Amazon review checker and found the one adapter that didn't fail Fakespot.
    In some cases, fake reviews were so bad that it noted Amazon had deleted over 100 reviews. I used the same site to check toslink cables as these adapters all seem the be bundled with the garbage cable based on product photos and most have loads of fake reviews.

3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Here's a few questions that might help us to understand better.

What are your speakers and what connections do they have?
    How were you connecting the speakers to your Tivo box in the first place?
    Which Toslink adapter did you purchase and how have you wired it in?
    Does your TV have a native Toslink socket on the I/O?

4. silk186

silk186 Derp

My speakers are Microlabs Fc360.
    I connected a 3.5mm to RCA from the virgin TV to the speakers.
    I purchased a LiNKFOR toslink adapter for ebay, but the listing on ebay changed to the PROZOR model.
    Both score high for fake reviews on amazon.
    The TV is an LG 42LB5500 and it has native toslink out.
    The toslink is a pass-through connect as I can't control the volume from the TV.
    I picked up a set of RCA stereo cable to run RCA to RCA from the adapter to the speakers.

Now I'm looking at the OLRIKE DAC as it is the only one I checked on Amazon that didn't fail Fakespot.
    While I know that most of the reviews are fake, I don't know if the issue because of a cheap toslink cable.

5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

You don't need to spend much to get a decent toslink cable. Probably a tenner would do you a decent braided one. Often, the ones that come included with cheap/cheerful media converters are no thicker than a shoelace and may be the cause of your issues, although it's likely the converter to be fair.

It might be worth you buying a used soundbar for the TV instead? You can probably get something semi-decent for around £30-40 on local selling sites.

6. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I am not sure how subjectible Toslink is to dust, but have you tried dusting the ports and cable ends?

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Truedat. All of mine cost under a pound, and they work perfectly. They're sleeved, even, and gold-plated on the connector end.

Let that sink in for a moment: gold plated. At the connector end. On an optical cable. It literally does nothing, but by 'eck when I unplug 'em it doesn't half look shiny...

modd1uk, silk186 and Sentinel-R1 like this.
  8. silk186

silk186 Derp

I ordered a new model that didn't have loads of fake reviews and the difference was immediately noticeable.
    Clearer louder sound and no popping. I also had less static when adjusting the volume nob on my speakers

Arboreal likes this.
  9. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Glad you're sorted.

10. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I've had a length argument with a client, trying to convenience them that gold plated optical equipment is not beneficial. They were trying to source gold plated LC connectors. "But I have them on my Toslink cable" :duh:

11. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Haha! He's a salesman's dream. Wonder if he's got a TV cabinet full of Monster HDMI cables from Curry's too?

The only extra I do insist on with toslink cables is some form of braiding for reinforcement, to prevent kinking or extreme bends and breakages. That's worth a few extra quid in my book.

12. silk186

silk186 Derp

Where were these guys when I was trying to push Monster cables with 50% commission during college?

The second cable I got was much thinner but better quality. After some searching, a reasonably decent cable can be had for £4-7.
    These cheap bundled cables are ridiculous. They would be better off with a slightly more expensive cable or no cable at all.