1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Toslink splitter/switch

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 4 Oct 2018.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Well-Known Member

I'm running out of connections on my tv, I have to keep switching my Firestick and chromecast around on HDMI inputs so I want to free up an HDMI input.

I plan to connect our lounge/media pc via DVI as it is currently connected via HDMI, that would leave me without audio but free up an HDMI input, I could just use a 3.5mm jack but then I wouldn't get proper sound through my surround sound system.

My AV receiver has two digital inputs, one coax and the other is a toslink (occupied by my sky box and bluray player), what would be the best solution to ad another toslink, use a splitter or use a switch like the examples below?

Switch

Splitter

.....also these are cheap options, should I looking at better quality ones?

Thanks

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If you can afford it the non-manual ones like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portta-Toslink-Switcher-Digital-Optical/dp/B00PXSIFWY/ seem to have better reviews and have the advantage of having a remote, so you don't have to get up to switch inputs.

That said (unless there's a good reason not to) in your situation I'd be going straight for a 4-5 input HDMI switch with a remote to solve the route of the problem.
    Firestick, chromecast, Sky, Bluray and the PC all plugged into single switch taking up a single HDMI port on the TV, with a remote to switch between them, seems like a neater solution: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fosmon-Switcher-Support-Control-Adapter-HD1080p-3D/dp/B01F7PC8CA/ (or similar)

3. CrapBag

In an ideal world that HDMI switch would be great and the thing I would go for but I've just got my wife to understand how to change the AV channels using the Sky remote so she can use the firestick.

I really don't want to confuse her even more lo, its not me being sexist she just doesn't get these things.

I like the other switch though might do the job, i'm in no rush so ill see if I can get it on ebay from china a little cheaper.

4. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Active Member

Reading the description of the splitter it says it is for taking one source and sending it to two input devices. It may not necessary work in the reverse. So you can discount that option.

A third option is a TOSLINK to coaxial converter. I'm not familiar with theses so I cannot comment on quality.

5. CrapBag

That unfortunately has to be powered and I'm all out of mains sockets on my 6 way adaptor, that's the other annoying thing, my chromecast will run off the power from the tv's usb socket but the firestick wont so it has to have a main power.

6. CrapBag

I think ive decided to say stuff it and get something half decent.

I'm looking at this one which has very positive amazon reviews but there is also this one, looks identical but just not branded.

Any views?

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

A passive optical Y-splitter works in either direction. I have a couple: they're literally just four optical fibres, two of which go to one head of the Y and two to the other. I use one to connect both my PS4 and my Xbox 360 to the same optical input on the amp, and it works absolutely perfectly - providing, that is, you don't have both devices trying to output at the same time.

I bought mine years ago, but it looks exactly like this one. The reviews are very mixed, but most are using it to connect one source to two sinks (which reduces the intensity of the light); I'm using it to connect two sources to one sink. I also note a few reviews which say it doesn't work with a Sky box - they're right: Sky boxes, because Stupid, have their optical outputs always active, even when the box is 'off'. If you try to use it to share a single optical input on an amp, the signal from the Sky box broadcasting silence conflicts with the signal from your second source and you get nothing. (That's why I own two splitters, but only use one!)

8. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Active Member

Thanks for the correction. For some reason I was thinking it wasn't passive.