1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Total immersion cooling hits the data centre

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 31 Jan 2012.

1. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Agreed - it is low grade heat, and the energy cost of moving it around to heat office space etc. is likely to outweigh the benefits vs simply dumping it and heating the office separately. And it simply isn't hot enough to be used to meaningfully pre-heat water. Large scale HVAC systems are actually very efficient heaters anyway, because they can often run the cooling loop effectively in reverse, so you heat the inside of a building chilling air outside, effectively pumping heat energy in.

I did read once of a clever idea for a datacentre in the remote north of Scotland using power from a nearby tidal system (thereby vastly reducing transmission losses) and using warm air from the server room to heat large nearby greenhouses.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/01/28/scottish-server-farms-team-on-tidal-power/

2. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

In addition to Hardcore Computer launching a commercial model in 2008 (see Leslie's link), Amari produced a one-off concept immersion cooled computer (containing Fluorinert; which incidentally is what cools my rig) a few years ago. The company manager told me at the London International Technology Show that they are currently working on a cheaper commercial model for mass production.

Some people don't swap their components so much that immersion cooling would be impractical. In fact I almost bet most hard-core geeks would happily put up with that for the sheer coolness of immersion cooling.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2012
  3. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

I remember that concept computer. Is your hardware submersed or are you using the coolant in a closed loop? Does flourinert cool better than water? I know it has much lower viscosity.... would it cool better than existing liquids in a closed loop?

4. aeidau

aeidau Industrial Designer

Core Coolant is different from Fluorinert™ and Mineral transformer oil.
    Core Coolant™ is dielectric, biodegradable, non-toxic, non-hazardous cooling oil that is made from food grade synthetic oils. It is also clear and has a freezing point of -45 degrees celsius. So below ambient and even below 0 degrees celsius cooling is possible without the risk of condensation because the electronics are sealed.

Hardcore Computer do offer a bare-bones solution via request. (Chassis with motherboard, PSU, and all the cooling gear required to run it)

5. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

Mine is in a loop. Fluorinert evaporates at room temperature so immersion would require an airtight chamber --which is a bit tricky to build. Temperatures are comparable to water.

Tags: Add Tags