1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Total OC noob needs help with a Q6600

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M_1008, 14 Sep 2011.

1. M_1008

M_1008 What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

BF3 is here and I need to get more from my Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz (too bills to pay for a brand new build), but I´m a total noob in this field.

I have an Asus P5E-VM HDMI motherboard and 4x1GB GEIL GX21GB6400U DDR2 800 (the orange ones with a 4-4-4-12 latency).

I don´t remember wich cooler I have, but it was cheap and looked like it had 4 heatpipes. I like the Titan Fenrir a lot, but I´d prefer not spending that much.

My goal is not to get anything extreme, just a little more juice without stability problems.

Where should I start from?

Thanks in advance and excuse me about my poor english.

2. Simon Poole

Simon Poole What's a Dremel?

Firstly, give us a screenshot of HWMonitor or Speccy's heat monitor after a couple of hours load (games, whatever.)
    Alternatively, use them to monitor the heat while stress testing with Prime95.

That'll help us work out if it's actually safe to overclock, even with a new cooler.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Where should you start from?

Here

4. M_1008

M_1008 What's a Dremel?

More than perfect answer, didn´t know there was an especific article. Thank you.

I´ll post my progress ;)

Tags: