1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Total War coming to consoles?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Sep 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

DO NOT WANT

Total War's home is on the PC, with a mouse, keyboard and 3 nights of lost sleep. A console experience just wouldn't feel right, not to mention be incredibly difficult to control intuitively with a joypad.

3. chiper136

chiper136 What's a Dremel?

I actually think that the battle screen could work well with duel analogue sticks in terms of navigation. The only issue is the many buttons each unit has to set stance, and formation ect ect.

4. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

I don't see how it could be in any way a bad thing if Total War came to consoles *as long as* it didn't in any way lower the quality of the PC release. Obviously I'd never touch it on a console myself but if people without nice big gaming rigs (which let's face it, are the majority) can play TW too how could that hurt? The more people playing TW the better in my opinion, those games have easily taken up more of my time than any other and I still enjoy playing them today! They really are amazing pieces of work and utterly superb games.

What I would really like to see (if anyone at Creative Assembly is reading this - please!) is an update of Shogun in the same way they did MTW2. Really, they started with the Warring States (Sengoku) period of feudal Japan because it is probably the best setting for a game like this (really, read about it, it is an incredible period of history), but of course as the first one it lacked a lot of the bells and whistles that they have now got 'right' (and which of course were technically un-implementable at the time). I would give my left arm to play a totally revamped Shogun: TW! And I'm sure I'm not the only one....

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Please no! :eeek:
    Creative Assembly can keep the Total Warrior series going but please not dumb down the Total War series even more.
    Besides, I doubt a game pad can be properly used for all the shortcuts (Del, End, RShift, T, M, RCtrl, F, formations, etc).
    Hard to say.

Shogun TW was revolutionary. It had an amazing atmosphere that none of its successors managed to quite get it right. The ending video was delightful.
    Would like a Shogun 2 TW.

Medieval TW was the best one. It had the most unpredicatable of all the campaigns and the experience system was properly made (jedi knights, anyone? :naughty:).
    It reached its peak with the XL mod.

Rome TW vanilla was disapointing, its the worst of the series, CA started the "arcade-zation". Although some mods made it quite enjoyable (Rome Total Realism and Europa Barbarorum).

Medieval 2 TW could have been much better if only CA kept the different starting eras, the re-emerging factions and the civil wars of the original MTW.
    Graphically is the best one, as expected.
    Currently playing the Grand Campaign mod, bigger map with all the factions from M2TW vanilla and Kingdoms expansion plus some tweaks.

For the upcoming Empire TW, am really looking forward for the naval battles but not sure I will like the land gunpowder battles.

Last edited: 25 Sep 2008
  6. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

The mob has spoken! And they're clamouring for Shogun Total War 2! :)

Incidentally, impar raises an interesting discussion, what do people rate as the best Mod for MTW2?

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

That would plain not work

8. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    With M2TW the mod community ressembles an open source community.
    Someones map is used with someones elses units mixed with another one AI and yet another one traits.
    With the right knowledge you can piece together your personal mod.

You might want to take a look at this article featuring some M2TW mods:
    http://pc.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=16553
    Or even this one featuring RTW modifications:
    http://www.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=16547

I went with the Grand Campaign mod because it didnt altered too many of the vanilla game.

By the way, there is a new video for Empire TW:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=1831901#post1831901

9. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

PLEASE, GOD, NO!!

Don't ruin my favourite RTS... they've already ruined CoD for me.. even though I managed to get over that one.

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

a futuristic total war would be very interesting....

11. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

They can try, but i think it would be bad for them. Consoles are for action, not RTS. And even in action games a PC is better. No way a game pad could beat the functionality of the combo keyboard and a mouse

The thing is: console games sells better because of the piracy

12. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Until consoles come packaged with a keyboard and mouse, I don't think RTS games are really meant for those systems. If consoles were to come packaged with a keyboard and mouse, would that then make them PCs????

13. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

keep in mind that Creative Assembly is doing an StormRise, an RTS built for consoles from the ground up, so for now i think that's as close as we'll get

14. PhenomRed

PhenomRed What's a Dremel?

Dear Creative Assembly

Please don't

Yours,
    Phenomred

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Not one as complicated as TW at least. Dark Omen worked fine on the PS1 I thought.

16. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Last edited: 26 Sep 2008
  17. impar

impar Minimodder

Tags: Add Tags