1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Total Warrior

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr Happy, 18 Feb 2013.

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

So, having had a mad moment i have agreed to take part in what is said to be the toughest 10km run there is in the uk :duh:

Anyone else going to be there this year

Total Warrior :lol:

2. Seeks

Seeks Active Member

think I will pass on that one :p although that's amazing you are doing it. Had a friend who did it and he came back in one piece... raised loads for charity though.

I will satisfy myself with the horrors of the marathon, which I signed up to under duress and drunk haha.

3. Bufo802

Bufo802 Member

Races like that seem to have become very popular recently, though as a competitive runner/orienteer the prices really are excessive - not quite sure how they can justify £50-90. I've done a couple of local races which are similar but just find big hills/stream/small lakes for the course which are good fun but if I didn't get my entry fee+ back in prize vouchers probably wouldn't do them. Prefer races without artificial obstacles really, and can find just as bad mud in cross country races or orienteering - knee deep mud at BUCS xc in places this year and have had to crawl out of boggy areas before while orienteering (and you can enjoy this for less than £10 a time).

If it encourages people to go out and run/exercise though can't really put them down too much, but it does seem often people prefer the challenge of having to complete something which is just tough at the time, rather than the prolonged effort of training to do as well as possible.

Anyway my opinion is probably a bit different to average, as for some reason I enjoy things like this - one of the reasons I would find it hard to justify raising money for charity from a race as I'm just doing something I want to do. Hope it goes well for you though, sorry if it sounds a bit negative but just something I've been thinking about for a while.

The best thing about any event such as this is the retrospective enjoyment and stories to tell after - you might hate yourself in the middle of it but once it's over it always feels worthwhile.

4. Joey Propane

Joey Propane New Member

I'm doing Tough Mudder in June, pretty much the same thing... Except it's 10-12 MILES.:p

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Cheers guys

Yeah the price is a bit off putting, paying to enter a race is not a problem but it does seem a bit steep.

I am a competitive person, i have been since i left the forces, but i don't find myself competing much nowadays, getting older and having young children take my time up.
    I do keep my fitness to a decent level, i still do runs carrying weight, something i know i will need to push harder if i am going to do this run.

I will give it my best and will be doing it for the experience,

Joey Propane, good luck mate :thumb:

Thanks

6. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Haha, myself and a group of mates have just signed up for that about 20 mins ago! Will be my first hardcore event after a near fatal training accident so existed and scared at the same time!

7. erratum1

erratum1 New Member

I need a lie down after watching the video, good luck!

8. Joey Propane

Joey Propane New Member

Ha, cheers buddy. I'll let you know what to expect when I get it done.:thumb:

9. Joey Propane

Joey Propane New Member

BUMP!

Me on the right, best mate on the left. In the background on the left you can see the first obstacle, the steepest ******* hills you'll ever run up/down.

[​IMG]

Took us 2 hours 30 minutes, shins and knees are ripped to shreds, banana's are my new favourite food, I can't walk in a straight line today, can't wait till next year to do it again. :D

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Nice beard work.

Renting/buying/building the obstacles, extra staff to go with them and insurance.

As an unrelated example I recently did some white-water rafting. Between 15 people the cost/person was £32, £19 of which went on insurance apparently.