1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tottenham Riots

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Dwarfer, 8 Aug 2011.

1. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

I'm 21 but in all honesty I would have to agree with you this country needs radical change for how people are brought up in this country. There is no discipline for the youth of today if they don't receive it from their parents at home and even that ability is getting eroded as you can't hit your children now. Never did me any harm getting a slap as a kid.

I must say as well that the overwhelming majority of people on my FB are calling for the army to be called in. Is that the general consensus of most people?

2. Canon

Canon Reformed

Looks like I have a sixth sense. The PSNI are on their way to London (or are already there) to give a hand.

This may sound a little distasteful BUT reading through this thread I would like to think that perhaps some people that live on the mainland wont be so quick to offer their criticism to the reaction of locals when rioting breaks out here, every year.

Anyway, I suspected they would be after our vehicles at some point, it may be a happy coincidence that a new Northern Ireland land rover is available to all of the PSNI. They really are the best bit of kit for the job with the right people behind the wheel. Officers nationwide have been literally begging for their help, so I think it's a step in the right direction, bit of morale.

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

yes you can, but not hard enough to cause a mark or damage, nor around the head

4. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

A level of force is needed to break these riots up, the chavs will run home once they realise that they will get hurt if they continue there mindless destruction of their neighbourhoods, gangs etc will disapear as well once the cover of the youth has gone.

Break them hard and fast they will disapear to many innocent people are lossing there property and safety due to mass yobs thinking its fun. The police need to get tough with them as past events have forced them to get soft- rioting needs to be stamped out.

5. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

I was not hit as a kid, and I am not out there rioting!

...not being able to hit your children has nothing to do with being able to teach them right and wrong!

....Now to the bigger issue at hand. I don't understand why this is happening, I can come up with some reasons "why" the rioter's think they are rioting, but if they are trying to get attention and bring about change they are doing it in the wrong way.

Two wrongs don't make a right, so bringing in the army is not the right decision in my books. The main problem I see is that we have too many bystanders, not enough people as seen in the previously shown video (the lady telling the rioters exactly what she thinks!).

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well, please rely on me never to be entirely serious because, frankly, I just don't care about anyone but myself.

However, I'm not freaking out as such. That said, bullets wouldn't run out before civilians would. I see no problem with a democratic state asserting itself in such a way, and from a logically and morally consistent point, neither can anyone else who agrees with statist democracy.

Northern Ireland would have been easily solved if the UK hadn't been constrained with things like the Geneva convention and human rights. Decimation would have sorted that situation right out sharpish.

I recall you being rather unhappy with the police performance at the G20 riots, I thought it was fairly spot on. I didn't like the lying carried out by the Met, but then I never do.

Depends upon strength of will and willingness of the army. If you're asking the very simple question of could the British army subdue the people of London, the answer is a very obvious yes. I'd guess the number would be lower than 5000 that it would take, if the army were prepared to execute anyone and everyone who stepped foot on the streets for a few days.

All about strength of will obviously.

I would be a lot more sensitive about the whole doolally if I felt there were more genuine grievances being generally aired here, but this feels somewhat like opportunist looting and setting fire of cars by neds, and when it comes to neds...

7. Plastic_Manc

Plastic_Manc Minimodder

I don't think we can send in the army tonight but I'd like to see patrols tomorrow evening to prevent another night of mindless shite.

8. CrazyBlade

CrazyBlade What's a Dremel?

I'm utterly ashamed as an Englishman watching this develop on my TV. For those of you in London - stay safe for fraks sake. As for tomorrow's political reaction - Cameron HAS to get assertive, he's already teetering on the brink of being a lame duck Prime Minister, if he doesn't handle this then this government days are (thankfully) numbered.

If I was him, and thank God I'm not, I'd put a blanket curfew on London from tomorrow evening, and have the Army enforce it. Sadly it's come to that.

9. dave_salmon

dave_salmon What's a Dremel?

Some rumours floating around about things starting up in Liverpool now.

Any Scouser bit-techers to confirm?

10. CrazyBlade

Sky News are now reporting that violence has broken out in Liverpool.

11. Canon

Canon Reformed

Attacking a mcdonalds with hammers and emptying the tills. call it an over reaction if you like, but cut their ****ing balls off.

12. dave_salmon

Just caught the BBC news reporter's sign off mentioning Liverpool.

Supposed to be going in to Manchester town center tomorrow. Thinking I'll give it a miss.

13. CrazyBlade

A wise choice imo. I can only see this getting worse and spreading, sadly.

14. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

Seems to be alot of impoverished and dissaffected youths in designer clothes communicating with blackberrys...

15. Canon

Canon Reformed

Some outbreaks of car theft in North Belfast now! WTF piss off! First person to get clever near me and I WILL go out and show them what I think.

16. dave_salmon

Just been updated by a friend whose watching BBC news 24:

"200 masked 'Kids' running about setting cars on fire in Toxeth"

17. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

http://yfrog.com/0wtduz

Police are ridiculously out numbered here. The current Met tactics definitely aren't working.

18. CrazyBlade

Definite organisation if this picture is to be believed - this was allegedly found in a looted Argos store:

http://yfrog.com/h07mxcyzj

The mind boggles.

19. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Hope it doesn't kick off too badly. Like you guys don't get enough every year.

20. Canon

Canon Reformed

An hour ago in North Belfast

[​IMG]

EDIT: This reported 10 minutes ago,

/ Falls Rd area blocked off now..

Due to the general bullcrapness of the rioting it wont last more than 5 minutes here, because bullets WILL start flying. Paramilitary groups would either get involved in the violence, or use violence to stop violence.

Last edited: 9 Aug 2011