1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Touch typing!

Discussion in 'Software' started by voodoo2k4, 17 Nov 2008.

1. voodoo2k4

voodoo2k4 Ghetto Modder

So this may sound like a sad request or something a lot of people are interested in...

I use my computer at work and home for hours on end for everything from general admin work at work to web developing at home. It would take so much time out of my day if I could touch type. So I want to learn, want to learn enough that I would actually stick with a system/process that took time and effort but worked.

My question is how many of you can touch type? And how did you learn, can people please please reccomend me some tutorials/software/videos that are worth sticking with. I would prefer free stuff but usenet will probably help me with some paid ones. It just seems silly when I spent at least 10hrs a day at a pc to not be able to use it intuitively.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Dean.

2. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I used several different typing tutor programs, but the lessons didn't really stick until I started using instant messenger software extensively in high school. As a result, my form is not perfect, but I still type very quickly and using all of my fingers.

To be honest, I don't think it matters what software you use; they'll all teach the same thing. More important is the amount of time and effort you put into it - that's why I never learned until I was forced to by typing for extended periods in time-sensitive conversations.

Just pick something random off Google, and force yourself to stick with it.

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I learnt to touch type because of programming - typing variable names and functions that aren't necessarily proper words soon forces you to start touch typing!

It might not be official touch typing (it certainly isn't Pitman's approved!), but I do use all my fingers and could type as quickly as most admin types at work.

4. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I don't type properly, (only use 6 fingers and a thumb) but I'm accurate and fast.

Try Mavis Beacon if you want to learn properly. It was nice, but I just prefer my method. Been typing for years with no guidance so go figure.

5. Agent_M

Agent_M Member

get typing of the dead, teaches you to touch type with zombies!

6. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

well, one way is to cover your keys with masking tape, forcing you to learn their location.

the typing programs help to some extent, but I learned by covering the keys and it works great for me....

7. RinSewand

RinSewand New Member

Taught myself just by typing lots. Covering the keys does help though! It's not perfect style, but it's 60wpm typing things up and much higher when it's just me typing what i'm thinking.

RwD

8. voodoo2k4

voodoo2k4 Ghetto Modder

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I never thought of covering the keys, im going to find an old keyboard as I dont wanna bugger up my nice media one. :)

Dean.

9. Renoir

Renoir New Member

I asked the same question here with some good responses. Having bought a cheap copy of mavis beacon teaches typing I can now touch type which my neck is very thankful for given that looking down at the keyboard is a strain when you're 6'6 tall like me. It took me 2 weeks of practice to learn which finger to use for every key and then it's just a case of practice which it sounds as if you'll get a lot of so it shouldn't take you too long to get past your current typing speed. The key is to first learn how to touch type PROPERLY with software or an online tutorial so that you don't get into bad habits from the start and then just practice practice practice.

10. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I learned a technique back in grade school that involved assigning slogans to each column of keys.

EG: 'Quick Ask Zoey", "What Stops X-Rays"... all the way up to "Peanuts!"

I don't recall the name of this leaning method but it was incredibly effective.

In conjunction with this technique we had to tape a sheet of paper over our keyboards to prevent peeking - but in a pinch you can still live the paper up to see where you're typing... it's more to break your habit of looking down.

You use the little bumps on the "J" and "F" keys as a 'home position' reference.

After a few weeks I didn't have to worry about peeking [period].

Soon enough you'll be whizzing out a few hundred WPM.

THIS IS THE SECRET TO TOUCH TYPING:
    Quick Ask Zoey
    What Stops X-Rays
    Even Dogs Can
    Red Fish Vanish
    Then Grow Bigger
    Yaks Hear Noises
    Under Jack's Mattress
    I Keep ,[commas]
    Over Long .[periods]
    Peanuts

Combine that with one of these: DAS KEYBOARD!... you'll learn

Last edited: 23 Nov 2008
  11. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

i saw a nice cover for covering normal keyboards, there is also a few programs you might like to try, there's mavis beacon teaches typing, and another one called typing of the dead. just to practice your keys with a little motivation.

12. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

i tend to type with most of my fingers, but my form is not perfect.
    Programming a lot does that to people. nothing like having to type $_GET['MY_vaR_Name'] a lot... :p