1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Tower450x2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DjangoSoe, 29 Jun 2017.

1. DjangoSoe

DjangoSoe What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is to long sinse I did my last scratch build, this time not a scratch but a 'Normal' casemod.
    It did took a long time to know exactly what kind of computer case I wanted.
    One thing was sure, I wanted to make something for my computer and the computer of my girlfriend.

After years of looking at nice buildlogs with watercooled pc's it is finaly happening.
    I never liked the idea of having water tubes running past my lovely parts.
    For the past couple of years I helped a good friend Tim Warning from 'Dutch Lion Customising' with the designs in 2d and 3d.
    After seeing a lot of our work with watercooling I am convinced.. I want watercooling in my case.

My girlfriend and me have both a pc in the living room. She has my old game pc and I had my last upgrade 2 years ago.
    Her System: Small NZXT Vulcan with a i7 2600k, her gpu died last year...
    My System: Antec 900 some small changes to it but noting to special, a i7 3770 with a Asus 970 Strix.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have talked several times about putting the 2 pc in one case. There were two options.
    1. Make a scratch build
    2. Mod a big exciting case.
    When Tim told me the t2 D3sk was going to separate and one of the two was a possibility for me I was excited.
    Faster after that it was sure, the basic of the pc is going to be a Thermaltake Tower 900.
    Most of the water cooling is also from Thermaltake.

The main color theme of the project is going to be red and black, both our motherboard are blue... So the only option is to upgrade the hardware.
    When the t2 D3sk was still on a Asus RoG event The first box from Tim arrived.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still had 2 128gb m2 sata ssd's that can't fit my old motherboard, now I can use them both on one board!
    [​IMG]

I had not planed to wait on the build before using the new hardware, so I decided to do the swap the same day.
    Old hardware:
    [​IMG]

And the new hardware is alive!
    [​IMG]

Saterday was the big day.
    The case has arrived and it was time to put it on one last time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Never worked with water cooling parts in real, the first training was to disassembly the case.
    After draining the hole system I have flushed it a couple of times with normal water.
    The water was clear and there was nothing green to find anywhere.
    Hoping that when I fill the loop in the end there will not be any green in my system.

[​IMG]\\[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After draining most of the water it was time to remove the hardware.
    The 1070 Strix with waterblock is going to be my next graphics card. In combination with my 970 strix for my gf.
    The Beautiful Asus motherboard is not for me, I will handle it with care but sadly it isn't going in my system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now we can say the case is stripped and ready for a new life.
    When I had the idea of using the Thermaltake tower 900 I did a few quick drawings in Sketchup.
    Now the case is here I can do some real measuring and seeing where the second motherboard will fit.
    [​IMG]

If i put the motherboard under each other there isn't very mush space for all the connections but I think it will fit.
    The first few steps that need to be done:
    Decide how i will fit two motherboards in the tower.
    Create a motherboard tray for the second motherboard.
    Create a psu bracket that will fit 2 psu's in the back of the case.

Last edited: 16 Jul 2017
  2. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Lets make something nice with this Django :)

3. DjangoSoe

[​IMG]

In my apartment I have not that mush space for building a computer case.
    Also I don't have a lot of tools to work with.
    For accessing a lot of tools and a garage I went to my parents house.
    I want to thanks my dad for letting me use a lot of space for quite a time.

For the past 2 weeks, I have spent a couple of evenings in the garage by my parents.
    It started with unpacking a big box, unbocking big packages never gets boring!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that I started with making a psu bracket from a 1mm steel sheet of metal.
    The psu is going to be placed on the original location on the floor between the 2 radiators.
    With the bracket mounted to the first psu the second one will float above the first one.
    The bracket is mounted with the 2 upper bolts of the original bracket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the back door of the case is a hole cutout for the psu.
    This hole need to be bigger for the airflow and cable from the upper psu.
    I used a grinder and a dremel to make the cut.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the hdd mounting I wanted to use the Thermaltake racks. That way I can easily replace a harddisk in the future without worrying about screws or anything.
    Because I cant use the rack in combinations with a fan I needed to have another place to mount the rack.
    I decided to place the harddisk's on the back of the main motherboard tray.
    It is easy to remove a harddisk and I don't think it will interfere with any cables.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this moment there was a little time delay.. I needed to make a decisions, and for the people that know me, I am not good at making decisions.
    The first plan was to place the second motherboard right under the fist one against the panel in the middle. That way the motherboard is mounted vertical with the I/O ports pointing to the bottom.
    With in front of the motherboard the 2 reservoirs.
    It wasn't the perfect solution but it could work.

After thinking and talking about the ideas with Tim I decided to place the motherboard on the already existing piece of aluminium coming from the t2desk.
    The piece of aluminium only needed to me 5cm shorter/lower for a nice alignment between the I/O panel and the case.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After test fitting I made the holes for the motherboard.
    To know the screw distance I uses a blueprint I made years ago and printed this 1:1 on 2 pieces of a4 and taped that together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The motherboard uses a 8-pin connection that needed to go somewhere.
    Also I made a hole for a watercooling tube to the radiator in the back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For my own system I have a MSI Z170A M9 ACK Moterboard.
    For the other system I didn't have a motherboard and also wasn't exactly sure what I shout put there.
    Luckily, MSI had a solution for my problem.
    They gave me a MSI Z170A M7. It is like a 'Little' brother of the M9, They look almost the same but with less functions than the M9.
    But more then enough for this system. I will make sure that the two motherboard will shine next to each other in this case.
    Big thanks to MSI from my girlfriend and myself!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have some good ideas for placing the reservoirs, you will see it in the next update.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Jul 2017
    MLyons likes this.
  4. DjangoSoe

Back again!

A lot of the water cooling I already have from the T2Desk is from Thermaltake.
    The Pump-Res combo, radiators and a lot of fittings.
    There where only a few components I needed to complete the watercooling loop.
    After contacting Thermaltake they send me a very nice set of components.

I got 2 liter of clear coolant in combination with Red concentrated dye.
    For the finishing touch with the cables I am using 2 sets of Thermaltake sleeving kits.
    My system is going to be cooled with a 560 radiator. The system for Sandra is getting a new Thermaltake 280.

Both cpu's will be cooled with 2 nice looking W2 waterblocks, I realy like the looks and the led's.
    There is also a couple of meters PETG tubes, they will connect te components to eachother.

Thermaltake Pacific RL280 radiator.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

PETG Tubing en sleevings.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coolant with concentrated red dye and the Pacific W2 Cpu blocks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big thanks to Thermaltake for the nice package!
    [​IMG]

The radiator mountings in the Tower900 are very easy. There is a slide system to get the mounts in the case. After that there are a couple of screws to keep them in place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the placement of the reservoirs I needed a kind of stand that keep the reservoirs in place.
    On the left there will be the reservoir-pump for Sandra's system. The one on the right is for my system.
    I made the stand from a 1mm sheet of steel. Also the 24-pin, usb3.0 and sata cables are disappearing in the mount to the back of the case.
    When you see the pictures my intentions will be clear.
    Started with a sheet of steel and bend it a couple of times.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The box fitted in the case and mounted with the existing thumbscrews to the motherboard plate.
    If the weigt is to much I will make a extra 3 or 4mm hole to mount it.
    [​IMG]

After sketching the first bend lines.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sides need to be closed, so I made 2 little boxen that need to be welded to the sides.
    Also made the holes for the cables.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See you next time!
    [​IMG]

Hukkel likes this.
  5. DjangoSoe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We are back with another update!

Last time I showed the steel box to raise the reservoirs.
    This time I made the stand for the graphics card.

The plan is to place it flat above the moterboard with the connections to the front of the case and the waterblock in to the air.
    Instead of explaining the plants its clear when you see the pictures.

I started with a 1mm flat sheet of metal. And a market so I wont forget the measurments.
    In the first picture you see my first idea of a gpu bracket. Becaus there is not much room in the front it will have contact with the glass.
    I decided to make another design. Also the cables will be out of sight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drilled 2 holes for mounting the bracket to the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Used an old gpu for testing. I cut the last couple of cm from the gpu, now it is the same lengt as the gtx 970 that will go in to the system. Also made holes for the cables.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put all 3 brackets in primer and painted a couple layers of matt black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. DjangoSoe

First layers of black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front mounting bolds of the reservoir fit exacly above the already existing holes in the moterboard tray below.

[​IMG]

I am missing 2 original foam blocks for the reservoirs. For now I made 2 temperary foam pieces so the paint wont be damaged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even made a hole in the back panel for al the I/O connections for the motherboard.
    With a little luck they wont interfear with the radiator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made the same hole in the side of the motherboard tray.
    1 for a watercooling tube.
    1 for the 8pin moterboard connection
    and 1 for all I/O cables to the back of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will leave this update with a couple of pictures from packaged I reveived last week.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to Thermaltake for the TT-Premium Pci Riser!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. DjangoSoe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this update I will show some small changes to the case.

There where a couple of problems with the measurments.

One of them was the sata holes for Sandra's motherboard the hole was not big enough. I did measure the size but forgot the mobo standoffs..

After I made it bigger the paint was burnt and I needed to re-paint the part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was no exact plan for the watercooling loop and all the cables. To make sure everything is going to fit I made a couple of big holes in the top of the case.

Also a couple smaller holes, this way I can zip-tie the tubes in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the original system the leds where directly connected to the motherboard. Our board do not support this so I need a led controller.

Somewhere between my stuff I found a bag with rgb led parts. I am using the rgb controller box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second system will be powered by a Coolermaster 750w, its the old psu that is in the family for years.

There is only a problem with the 120mm fan, it is making a irritating noise so that need to be replaced.

In the fan collection I found the most silent fan with a average air movement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also tested the Thermaltake rgb fans to see if they where still working.

Played a little with the software and the color possibility’s are endless!

[​IMG]

Installed the psu and fitted a new tube with connectors to the radiators. These tubes are the drain points for the two loops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also received a couple of packages past weeks. In the next update we will see if everything will fit in the case.

I received a package from Peter with some nice 16gb ram with red leds.

And for the second graphics card I needed a waterblock it wasn't possible in Holland to get one so a friend send me one from the USA.

Thanks Joe Angel Mercado!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]