1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Trains - My hell on earth!

Discussion in 'General' started by StingLikeABee, 27 Nov 2011.

1. StingLikeABee

StingLikeABee What's a Dremel?

I had to use the rail networks this last week, to get me to several meetings, and it's the first time I have been on trains in a good while. I hope the experience doesn't come around again any time soon!

First off, there were the trains themselves. They were packed to the gills with people, and I had to put up with quite a few delays too. I witnessed young men and women sat comfortably in chairs, whilst those who could really do with the chairs were left standing, and no-one batted an eyelid. Getting on the trains was like a battle for first place, with pushing and shoving being the order of the day, all in the mad dash to grab a chair. On some of the evening trains I caught, there was swearing, drunkenness and loud mouths to contend with, on top of everything else.

Getting off the damned trains was even worse. When the trains pulled up at the platforms, there was a mass of people stood right in front of the doors from which we were trying to get out and off the trains. You had to push your way through the people to make any progress. That happened every single time I got off the trains I was on. Why the hell do people insist on standing square in front of the doors, and blocking the way for those wanting to get off? Are they too stupid to realise that the quicker people get off, the quicker they will get on. To top it off for me, there were even people barging their way on to the trains before everyone had gotten off.

Travelling on trains for the last week has left me wondering if there is much common sense and manners left here in the UK. There seemed to be a distinct lack from what I saw. I also wonder how in the hell the government is going to get more people out of their cars and into trains, if this is the experience we face. Next week I'm back in the motor, so at least I'll not feel like I've been playing rugby before I get to where I'm going!

yassarikhan786 likes this.
  2. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

You are not alone, and it's not only a problem in the UK.

I don't have much experience with trains, but I did take bus to work/school for a while. It's really uncomfortable. Especially in the winter.

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Was this in London by any chance?

4. StingLikeABee

I travelled to Edinburgh, London and Reading, and all the trains to and from these stations were pretty much the same. London was more hectic than the others, in terms of volume of people though.

5. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Reading is always a ****storm because it's far too small for the number of people that use it, hopefully that'll change soon with the expansion works.

Fortunately it's not quite that bad here out west, but it definitely depends on what time of day you have to travel. I wouldn't want to inflict rush hour Exeter/Cardiff to Paddington trains on anyone.

6. longweight

London transport is certainly special, you have to be ruthless if you want to get anywhere during your commute!

7. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Welcome to Public Transport :D

It's always like this, when I come home from University I try to go as early as humanly possible, or I'd be standing up for 3 hours :c

8. longweight

My commute into London isn't too bad, I know where to stand to get on the train first, always get a seat that way and then put the headphones in, read my book and ignore everything :)

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

what's a train?

10. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I used to work for London transport and got free travel on bus and trains and I would still use the car when I could lol

11. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

not lived in london for a few years but I remember London Bridge was ALWAYS a nightmare from 4.30pm to about 7.00pm

12. Penfold101

Penfold101 What's a Dremel?

13. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

"No manners and common sense left"

I feel the same when I listen to people at school, when I'm talking to my sister, when I'm in town or on the bus.

God I hate people, and public transport.

14. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

and then your elders start making sense and it all becomes clear.... you have become one of them, old. :hehe:

15. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

And you forgot the best part, the cost of rail travel is shocking.

16. StingLikeABee

I was trying to forget that my wallet had been raped:waah:

Agreed, the prices are scandalous.

17. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I love trains!
    [​IMG]

18. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

£50 ticket for a 3 hour journey. :(

Not as bad as the £20 just to get into Oxford, I have no idea why I didn't just drive in; it would have been quicker.

19. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I've just started using the underground again after nearly 10 years and now I remember why I hate it so much, bloody expensive as well.

20. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I used to do the whole train thing then I came up with a much superior method...

Not going anywhere!

(more seriously, I've actually been grooving on National Express of late, especially as I'm on o2 I can get free tickets to places and at the worst it's only about £7 each way - takes the same amount of time, and I get a 240V AC outlet to leach off of - oh and comfy comfy reclining seats with a footrest :D )