1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Trains - My hell on earth!

Discussion in 'General' started by StingLikeABee, 27 Nov 2011.

1. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I travel by rail the whole time and almost never have problems like those listed. Friday nights are pretty crowded, but the rest of the time is fine. If you know when you're going, you can book a seat pretty easily. Yes it's quite pricey, but it's much cheaper than owning/maintaining a car, and generally faster too for long distances.

I can't wait for Crossrail, it's going to be amazing.

2. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

chinas building a high speed train to come through fresno.. can't wait for all the gangsters from la to hop on a train to rob my ****.. bring it back down to la

3. StingLikeABee

StingLikeABee New Member

Do you travel to busy stations and in rush hours? If you do, I'm surprised to hear you don't experience overcrowding, overpricing and rude passengers. I say that genuinely, as it seemed the norm in the experiences I had last week. I think there was only one train where there were seats available, and it wasn't bedlam getting on and off the train, out of 6 train trips, and that was the mid evening train.

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I don't think the trains are overpriced in London, I pay £45 a week to travel 30 minutes into town. There is no other way of doing it that cheaply or quickly.

5. StingLikeABee

StingLikeABee New Member

That sounds reasonable, but I had to pay almost £200 for a return ticket on a 4hr train journey last week (London <> Edinburgh). I do realise that you can save money by booking well in advance, but when the train is a more expensive option than flying would be, then something's wrong with the system. I had to pay that amount because I had to book the seat the day before travel, and I set off at peak hours. It's scandalous that the rail companies are able to get away with such silly pricing.

6. longweight

It is crazy how much long distance train journeys cost but it is nearly always the easiest option. If I have to go to Edinburgh it will take 4 hours on the train. If I have to fly it might take 1 hour to fly but I then have to get to the airport and it probably takes longer.

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Over-crowded, over-priced, often late trains... gotta love privatisation eh!

8. Bitemebad91

Bitemebad91 New Member

It's the same in Australia!

----------------------------
    Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.8ghz | GeForce gtx 460 @ 800mhz | 6 gig corsair xms3 tripplechannel ddr3 @ 1600mhz | raven rv01 case | watercooled 360 rad 40c load temps | gigabyte ga-x58-USB3 mobo | Logitech G510 gaming keyboard | Logitech G700 gaming mouse | Razer Goliathus Extended Control Edition mousepad

9. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Up here in the outskirts of Glasgow rail travel is a pleasure, however one thing has bugged me for years. The electronic displays on platforms always read that my train has arrived on time, even though it always arrives a couple of minutes later. A mechanism to massage the reliabilty or punctuality figures maybe? If anyone knows for definite let me know, as it makes me grumpy and hate the unions even more than usual :)

10. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Trains running between London and Reading are recognised as the busiest trains in the Country. First Great Westerns current solution is to add a single carriage to their HST sets, but there isn't a lot they can do till platforms are extended further. They are also introducing some extra 'older' trains. It isn't a massive improvement, but it's something.

Sam

11. jsheff

jsheff New Member

Catch a train to get to uni most weekdays. If I have a 9am lecture, there's a platform full of people waiting and a two carriage bucket rolls up at the station already jammed full of people. I pay £10 for the 'privilege' of a 40 minute journey in this overcrowded old piece of crap. This has been happening for 3 years now, and despite our many letters of complaint, nothing has changed.

Also, people are complete arseholes. No concept of manners, no spatial awareness, no common sense. While approaching a ticket barrier they do not have their ticket ready, stand in the way fumbling for their seat reservation and complain that the gates don't open while a trainful of people are running ever later behind them. Nobody gives their seats up and 'quiet coach' is code for 'bring as many children with you as possible'.

That being said, apart from the morning train they are mostly on time. Being in the backwards end of the country where the only route in or out by train passes within metres of the sea kinda leaves you susceptible to weather conditions when they get bad. Brunel was a genius, by my lord he wasn't thinking long term when he decided to route the trains along the south coast.

12. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Staff Super Moderator

Welcome to my life 4hrs a day :D

13. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

London to Edinburgh....did you even make it or are you posting from the train? I took the opposite route of that journey. Was visiting friends then had to travel to London to be picked up and travel to southend. Took 16 bloody hours between break downs, dead cows, lost trains not to mention the aircon didn't work and the toilet smelt like a corpse being teabagged by a skunk! I seriously nearly killed myself on that journey.
    Things in NI aren't as bad as that. Rush hour or if a boat is in (Larne line) can be a bit crowded but generally its my preferred method of going long distances say to dublin. The bus is cheaper but feels like your visiting the isle of man. The date line where you have to change the date on your watch not the time. I'm sure the bus is older than my parents and they're in their late 50's!

14. longweight

Public transport is a real "everyman for himself" way of getting around, especially in London!

15. Picarro

Picarro New Member

Try hauling a bicycle through the busiest station in Copenhagen 4-6 times a week in rush hour. I am surprised people haven't killed me just yet.

16. Tibby

Tibby Technologic

Eugh,

I've just finished on my current project, and have gone from living a 5 minute walk from work to a 2 hour a day commute on the Piccadilly line.

Your posts have made me fear it all the more!

17. profqwerty

profqwerty New Member

I went to scotland the other weekend and it was literally half the price and time to fly (Bristol - Edinburgh) :D And far less hassle, mostly docile old people.

I think the tube's similar to driving in London though, gotta be fast and aggressive! I saw the Holy Grail the other day - 4 American "gangsters", first 2 got on and dawdled, door shut and smacked his head and his cap off, the other 2 just looked dumbly as they all banged on the door :lol:

18. longweight

Ha the tube is fine if you know what you are doing, so many people dawdle along and pay no attention to where they are going!

19. logonui

logonui Member

I have to get trains in and out of london every day. I've found that over the past few years, I seem to go into "commute" mode. Normally I'm a relaxed, friendly person but the people using those trains have an every man/woman for themselves additude which I seem to have adopted just to get by.

I will admit that I am now guilty of this. The only reason I am is because I got sick and tired of people either having a go at me because they were too proud to admit they looked like they needed a seat or because they were a woman and didn't want to be treated any differently from anyone else. I've found it's easier to just put my headphones in and bury my head in a book.

20. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I spend far too long on the trains and especially the tube.

I currently have a broken arm done up in a cast, and feel like I need to walk around with a sign over my head. In my experience the worst are tourists, as they simply dont understand the etiquette of using the tube.. (dont get me started on the Victoria line at a weekend)

^^ and he's correct. The amount of times I have now offered a seat to someone I consider 'needy' of the seat and they then let fly at me for thinking they are incapable of standing.