1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 Transferring saves from PS2 to PS3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Journeyer, 28 Jul 2009.

1. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

As the title says, I'm trying to find out if it is possible to transfer saves from my PS2 memory card to the PS3. I've found several references online to memory card adapters that allow you to copy your saves from the PS2 to the PS3 whereupon you'd be able to play the old PS2 games on the PS3 without loosing your saves. This is all well and good.

However, my problem is that this is not entirely what I wish to accomplish. I am planning to retire my PS2 and replace it with a PS3 - this is the simple part. The only games we play on the console are the Guitar Hero games, and as such I intend to get these games for the PS3 instead of sticking with the original PS2 titles as these will be sold off along with the PS2 as well as all the peripherals. In other words, everything will be replaced with PS3 exclusives.

So, my question is: is there any way to transfer my PS2 Guitar Hero saves to be used on the PS3 Guitar Heroes?

(I'm also salivating profusely over the Logitech Guitar Hero controller, but that's another story ;) )

2. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

If I read correctly, this is in reference to the same Guitar Hero game, just instead of the PS2 version you will be playing the PS3 version, and want to be able to use the saved data from the PS2 with the PS3? If so, then no I have heard of no such method.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

WOW.

That really is just a cheap guitar with a GH controller stuffed into it. I love it. :D

4. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Aw crap!
    I was afraid that we might have to lose all our hard work by doing this switch. And I was just recently able to beat "One" from GH3 on hard! Oh well, at least my GF won't be able to constantly refer to her quite disgusting score on fire and flames from the get-go. ;)

Then again, I just might have to contact Sony to see what they have to say on the matter.
    Thanks for your input though, seems it is as I feared.

5. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Indeed it is, but it looks much better which means we won't really have to find a hiding place for it in our livingroom. Apparently it plays a lot better as well, and considering the fact that we will swap everything for PS3 versions then why not? :D

6. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

USB Stick?
    I think I vaguely remember backing up my PS2 saves on a USB memory stick ... can you then transfer them over that way?

7. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

From the resources I've found online that should work, but as I understand it it will work only for playing the PS2 versions of the games on the PS3. What I'm after is a way to import my saved data from the PS2 games to the PS3 games. I've sent a support message to Sony with the same question, and hopefully they'll be able to give me a definite answer.

Thanks for your input though. :)

8. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I just got my reply from Sony, and apparently what I want to do is not possible.

This bugs me - a lot.
    Surely it is not an unreasonable request?
    Surely Sony should have thought about the possibility of this problem arising for at least some of it's customers?

I mean, how hard can it be to sort out some kind of import application to do something like this? It shouldn't be much more than a software issue should it? I mean, it's the same games only on different platforms. And well, come to think of it, we should be able to import saves across platforms as well when the saves are for the same games.

9. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

It is fairly unreasonable IMO... you're getting a NEW platform and a NEW game and you expect to be able to copy saves across :)

Given the handful (if that!) of people who want to do this, it's not going to be in the developers interest to make saves compatible across versions/platforms, no matter how simple it may or may not be. I imagine the QA costs alone would be prohibitive enough to warrant avoiding support for this, let alone plannng/coding costs.

Just see having to start the game again as a new challange :p

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Its a pretty unreasonable thing to ask for, and asking Sony is not going to help, they have nothing to do with that game?

You'd want to speak to Harmonix but you'll not get anywhere.

11. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I see your points, but I disagree with them.
    It's the same game, just a different platform. However, I do see it as a new challenge having to play through the games again. Obviously it equates to more practice.

12. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Funnily enough I did not even think about this, but you have a very good point. I will contact Harmonix (or shouldn't that be activision, RedOctane or Neversoft as Harmonix only made GH1 and 2?) to find out if they have at least approached the issue.

I disagree about it being unreasonable however - it's the same games, just on a different platform.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2009