1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Transistors and circuit simulation

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Emon, 16 Nov 2004.

1. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Okay, two things. First, anyone have any good tutorials on using BJTs for switches? I've built circuits myself that do this, it's easy, but I was kind of guessing. All I know is that a small current to the base affects current between the other two legs. Then I used that to make a switch to turn some stuff on and off when something else is on or off. I'd still like to know exactly what the hell it is I'm doing.

Second, I really like CircuitMaker 2000, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to simulate BJTs in it. I've Googled and Googled some more, I can't find anything. Probably has to do with the SPICE stuff, but I can't find what appropriate SPICE data is for BJTs...I checked the example files, they don't seem to be doing anything different than I am. I tried NPN and PNPs in all sorts of configurations, and it doesn't do anything when I run the simulation. Any ideas?

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=650633&postcount=9

3. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

http://members.cox.net/sonjarob/TUTs/trans.html

The transistor page from Hazers electronics tutorial. Should explain npn and pnp transistors (BJTs) well enough. No advice about cicruit maker though, Ive had almost no luck with cicuit master myself.

One thing to always remember even if you forget which pin does what, just remember Ie+Ib=Ic (emitter current+base current=Collecter current). Between that and knowing that NPN transistors sink current into the base, and PNP transistors source current from the base, you should figure it out.

Last edited: 16 Nov 2004
  4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

:confused: There are dozens of Spice-modelled transistors included, use them until you get the hang of it. You also need to set the scope range to an appropriate value, may be easier to just check voltages with the multimeter tool.

5. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

I am using those.

What?