1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TribalOVERKILL's, "Blackout"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tribaloverkill, 2 Jun 2007.

1. Tale Gunner

Tale Gunner What's a Dremel?

Me too. The more people I reach the more ideas they can share. I love ideas!

2. widmod

widmod Minimodder

again really nice stuff
    i like those black PSU cooling fins
    maybe you let those stick out of the PSU enclocure in your design? :D

3. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

Very cool!

Jun-12-2007

Started cutting out the grills,... wasn't that bad but still, it was a major pain in the arse.
    [​IMG]

Done cutting the first grill,...
    [​IMG]

Looking nice,....
    [​IMG]

So,... I was able to cut out everything you see with one little blade. I was really puching it too. I was totally tired and just wanted to get it done. If I was easier on the blade I bet I could of done a lot more.
    [​IMG]

Everything all cut out. Just needs to be filed now,... S@#$.
    [​IMG]

Smaller grill filed and now,... im cutting the grooves to bend the little tab sides thingies,...
    [​IMG]

Grooves cut,... very nice.
    [​IMG]

Bending the sides,...
    [​IMG]

I use a big piece of angle iron to do my bending now:) Works good:)
    [​IMG]

All done. With bending that is,...
    [​IMG]

Very nice,..
    [​IMG]

Old corner,...
    [​IMG]

New corner,...
    [​IMG]

This is how I round the corners to make the look as if it was continuous. I just smash the aluminum together with a tack hammer. Think of aluminum as really hard clay. It really easy to mold.
    [​IMG]

What you think? I like it.
    [​IMG]

Represent,...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Big grill all filed down.
    [​IMG]

cutting the grooves for the big grill.
    [​IMG]

Drilled my holes after carefully figuring out where to put them,...
    [​IMG]

I cant believe I did this again,... I cut to far with the scroll saw. I keep forgetting not to cut all the way into the corner. I have to stopon the bend line. Oh well,...
    [​IMG]

Almost done! I still have some shaping to do with these things. Have to clean up their shape a bit.
    [​IMG]

Not to shabby,... when the time comes, I'm going to sand the sides down so these things are only about 1/8" high. Maybe 3/32".
    [​IMG]

Big grill in place.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Little grill in place,...
    [​IMG]

Both. Picture these all polished out,... yum.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

The grills look great. I like your work, you're not scared of doing stuff that takes a long time. Respect!

5. tribaloverkill

6. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

4 STARS WTF??? You diserve 5*****!!! you are a master!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock:

Keep it up dude!!! :dremel:

7. tribaloverkill

Shiny shiny,....

Jun-18-2007

First,... Don't know if I ever showed this to you guyz but,... here's a cool way to wet sand using a disc on your drill press or whatever you decide to use. You obviously need a disc and also,... some painters tape.
    [​IMG]

Yes,... it's a rubbery disc sander thing,...
    [​IMG]

Tape off the disc like so,...
    [​IMG]

Apply crazy glue,... you dont need to use a lot as in having gobs of it everywhere. Just smear a little bit all over making sure you cover the entire disc especially the outer edge.
    [​IMG]

Stick it to the wet sand paper,.... like so.
    [​IMG]

Cut away the excess and whalaaa! Make sure you let it dry completely first. The disc's biggest enemy is edges. Try not the get the sand paper hung up on the edge of your work because it will tear the paper. If you work has a lot of detailed cutouts,... leave a little extra sand paper around the entire disc. This way the sand paper will ride over the detailed cutouts. No guarantees though. If your careful it will last a long time. If you not it will only last a few minutes.
    [​IMG]

First shiny piece. Its not completely done. I have to go over it again for the cleaning phase.
    [​IMG]

Check it out! Another means of polishing! Its a 4.5" angle grinder then I can use as a polisher too. Havent really tried it yet but it will work:) The grinder has a 7amp motor too so this thing isnt going to stop turning if I press really hard like the table grinder does with its mere 2.1amp motor.
    [​IMG]

Next piece polished out. Looks pretty good. Not perfect but looks pretty good. I can see the imperfections in the grill,... it's driving me nuts but there nothing I can do about it. Its hand made. Something like this hand made can only get so good,... at least within a reasonable amount of time;)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Done,... thread-serts installed.
    [​IMG]

You know it's weird,... using the thread serts like this is no means good finished look compared to some nice button head hex bolts or some equiv,... but theres something about them that says "NICE!". I dont know. I just think they look pretty good like this. Dont know why.
    [​IMG]

Cut out the back of the case. You see the two things I left on each side of the power supply hole at the bottom,... ask me why I left those there.
    [​IMG]

SWEET!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I dont know about that fan shroud. It's off a bit. Not because I messed up but because I didnt really plan it out well. Does that mean I messed it up? It fits but there are little things that are killing me here. The part is pretty easy to make so I think I'll make another. Also,... you see the case through the grill? The black bar? It's so in the way. I dont know. Should I paint the back of the shroud black? Thats what I think I'm going to do. I cant leave that black bar like that.
    [​IMG]

B@#$%^&.
    [​IMG]

This fits nicely. Should I polished the psu mounting plate? Or just leave it? It's covered completely so its not like it's showing. But then again with all the stuff I polished,... should I do it anyways?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Going to sleep, gym,... and then go back to studio. Peace. OH! My birthday is coming up! July 12th. I think the weekend of the 20th,... my brother and I are going to be celebrating OUR birthdays in Alantic City. He;s bringing like 9 or 10 of his friends and I dont know how many people I'm bringing,... but if any of you locals wanna join in you can pm me and I'll give you my number. I'll keep you updated as to what, when, and where. We're going do some drinkin, dancin, eating,... we can talk about computers/ moddin,... lol. It's gonna be a fun time so let me know! Peace.

8. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

sooo coool!!! keep it up!

9. tribaloverkill

A tiny update because I have been stupid busy lately.

Jun-28-2007

IM GOING TO DIE!!!AHHHHHHH!!!! Not really. But your not going to believe what I cut myself on!
    [​IMG]

This. Can you believe it! You know what it is? It's an aluminum shaving from cutting aluminum with the router. It's about 1/16" x 1/16" if even that. It some how got lodged between the metal "thing" and the metal stud that holds the handle to the C clamp. It got right on up in there and was held perfectly perpendictular to the handle and it was in there good too! That S@#$ cut me wide open! When I went to go and feel the handle to see what it was that cut me,... that when it fell right out. Oh well.
    [​IMG]

I made a new fan shroud. Looks pretty much the same but there is are tiny differences between the two that makes the new one better. It's still not how I want it and theres nothing I can do about that seeing how the case is designed but this is fine.
    [​IMG]

Small differences.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Better fit.
    [​IMG]

I'm actually gooing to the studio as soon as I post this and finish eating my General TSO's chicken and white rice. I'll have another update tomorrow for you guyz. Peace out homies.

10. elbarto241

elbarto241 What's a Dremel?

thats what i love about TO, he will keep trying till he gets it PERFECT. very other few modders do that

11. tribaloverkill

This is a cool update. CHECK IT OUT!

Jul-01-2007

How to combat the black piece of aluminum behind the back grill? I know!
    [​IMG]

I've been meaning to hold out on this idea but seeing that I needed it for blackout,... here it is. I traced out the shape of both grills on the tinted acrylic and cut out the shapes with the scroll saw.
    [​IMG]

Drilling out the holes so I can mount the grills to the acrylic.
    [​IMG]

Here the fan shroud. I have to cut out those circles so I'll trace em out and then cut. Usually I like to measure out everything perfectly but in this case,... tracing and cutting is fine.
    [​IMG]

Here's the other side.
    [​IMG]

PSU grill mounted to it's acrylic.
    [​IMG]

It's backside.
    [​IMG]

I ground down the walls of both grills seeing that there's been a change of plans. The aluminum potion itself has no depth by itself. When the grill are mounted to the acrylic it will then have the depth it had before. Keeping the walls gave it to much depth when mounted to the acrylic.
    [​IMG]

Ok. Everything is cut and sanded down pretty well.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Very nice:) So dark:) I love it.
    [​IMG]

The edges of the acrylic has been polished but you cant really see it in the pics. Stupid camera.
    [​IMG]

Oh yea.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

You can barely see the black bar with the side panels off. You wont be able to see it with the panels on. That I can assure you.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

You see the fans?
    [​IMG]

Very cool.
    [​IMG]

Check this one out. Now,... the idea I mentioned before was that instead of having just a UV insert with your grill,... there would be two parts ot the grill. The acrylic portion and the aluminum portion. Each complimenting each other with color and design. These that I'm showing you now are POOR examples. I will have to make a nice prototype one day for you guyz so you can fully understand what I am talking about.
    [​IMG]

Looking through this thing. The air passes through the aluminum and acrylic. The acrylic hides what I do not want to be seen. The dark acrylic with the polished aluminum looks so damn rich! Its so cool looking.
    [​IMG]

Here's the backside.
    [​IMG]

Here's the grill ontop of the power supply. You cant see all that well the bolts that were showing before:)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

PSU grill in place. Looks cool. To bad it will be covered, LOL.
    [​IMG]

I have off tonight so I will be working the studio some of the day and all night. I am going to try and take the month of august off for vacation. I am going to seriously try and get Blackout done within that time frame. I am pretty sure I will be able too. It depends if I can get hardware or not. Some of the final steps require the rest of the hardware. More pics later on,...

12. Teyber

Teyber ******

do you have any secrets with the scroll saw? what blades are you using? because i THOUGHT i was good with my scroll saw b ut me seeing your grills makes me want' to throw mine in the trash...

13. tribaloverkill

What you see is not a result of scroll sawing alone. There was a lot of filing involved. The only thing I can tell you is to not cut on your lines, cut next to them. Whatever you do DO NOT CUT your lines. Always cut next to them as close as your comfortabel with,... and then file to the lines. I use a very thin blade but not the thinnest. I forgot how many teeth they have. Practice practice practice. And patience.

14. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Love the metal work! :)

Do you get the same shine polishing with that disc rather than by hand? I have a large area to polish in my mod and was wondering if i can do it this way to save my arms!

15. Tale Gunner

Tale Gunner What's a Dremel?

Now you said a mouthful! Great advice. Practice, Practice, Practice and then apply patience. That applies to wood working too!

16. THRASHER2

THRASHER2 Pimpin' Deals 24/7

I had to put on my Sun Glasses to Look at all this CHROME :rock:

MOD ON!

17. tribaloverkill

It would take you a while to achieve a shine like that by hand. I dont even know if you could do that by hand. I really grind my aluminum with a the buffing wheel to get this shine.

@ TaleGunner. Of course:) I am going to have to try out some woodworking later on down the road. It looks fun:)

18. tribaloverkill

I didn't nearly spend as much time as I wanted in the studio last night. I was so damn tired. I got work done though,... Check it out.

Jul-02-2007

Buffing out the fan shroud plate thing. Notice I have it on a piece of wood. This keeps the buffing wheel from catching the piece of aluminum, ripping it out of my hands cutting off all my fingers,... bouncing the finger pieces all over the studio,... blood shooting out all over me, the floor, and walls.
    [​IMG]

Bling.
    [​IMG]

This piece was hard to polish. I had to polish both sides too! Geez.
    [​IMG]

Oh yea. Very nice.
    [​IMG]

Very good.
    [​IMG]

Fan thread-serts installed. I'm not using fan screws for these fans. I want to be able to remove the fans from the inside without having to remove the rear grill.
    [​IMG]

This is the side of the fans.
    [​IMG]

Very cool.
    [​IMG]

Gone:) Stealthed. Bye bye:)
    [​IMG]

CAnt see anything through the acrylic. Nice.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This side looks cool too.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So nice. The acrylic and aluminum go together so well.
    [​IMG]

Fans in place. I tape them in place. I need spacers for them. I have to order some.
    [​IMG]

Here's the case all closed up. Cant see the fans can you! LOL.
    [​IMG]

Bottom grill installed.
    [​IMG]

Hand in, hand out,...
    [​IMG]

Both.
    [​IMG]

Time for this little guy.
    [​IMG]

Sanded down the walls so it's flat like the others.
    [​IMG]

Traced it out on some acrylic.
    [​IMG]

Scroll sawed
    [​IMG]

Filed, sanded, polished, done. HA.
    [​IMG]

Very nice.
    [​IMG]

Whats next?
    [​IMG]

I think it's time for the PSU now. I have to do some planning and shopping for some small parts. I'll let you know!

19. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

You're crazy, you know that! Damn I'm loving your work :thumb:

This log really gives me the spark to go back at modding, but the sad fact is that I'm working too much to even think about modding (oh well, I think about it all the time, but you know what I mean :D).

I'm really looking forward to what you have done for the next update, keep this up!

Darkened

20. tribaloverkill

Thank you. I hope that you will be able to start modding again soon. Good luck my friend! Oh and yes,... I'm crazy.