1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TribalOVERKILL's LiquiD EVOLUTION

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tribaloverkill, 3 Jun 2007.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Tribal needs to skip the small sh*t and go straight for the cnc machine!:hehe:
    @DibbZi - Search for 'blackout' in the logs.

2. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

Agreed.

3. tribaloverkill

I still have this,... just didnt finish it. I will be starting it very soon.

4. Regidet

Regidet Awesomenesstrocity

5. tribaloverkill

I have seen this before. Only because I think you posted this in one of my other logs?!?! I vaguely remember. If you are asking if I make reservoirs for other people the answer is yes.

6. Teyber

Teyber ******

haha yes i also remember you posting that in blackout!

7. tribaloverkill

I swear I thought he posted that already in one of my logs. Once is enough. Actually,... this is seriously considered hijacking:(

8. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

he was trying to quote the pic check out the top line of his reply....

9. tribaloverkill

Oh your right. Different person. My bad. Wait,... does he think that is my case?!?!

10. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

i guess so lol!

11. tribaloverkill

I was thinking about naming these reservoirs "Amphora". These reservoirs being the reservoirs in the last two updates. That and the sFX version. The ones in the last two upadates is the plain or basic version. So it would be "Amphora" and "Amphora sFX". What you guys think?

12. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

That sounds nice, I like it :)

13. tribaloverkill

Yea. I think it does too. So yea.

14. Cheapskate

It rolls off the tongue better than pat.# sfx234-b.:hehe: The pimp hijack came back to haunt you.

15. tribaloverkill

Yea but the serial name is still going to be to tacked on,... "Amphora xPRZ" There's going to be many Amphora reservoirs. Well,... mostly "Amphora sFX" reservoirs.

16. tribaloverkill

Update! I got a lot of work done today! My methods work pretty well!!! Check it out!

Jul-31-2008(bAR2745r)

First,... the open oring groove I was telling you guys about. It's kind of a bad pic but dont worry there are better pics of it later in this update.
    [​IMG]

Test fit. It's fits perfectly! Not to hard to get in. It seals just fine. And its easy to get off! Yea!
    [​IMG]

You see the oring smashed? Thats a seal. Obviously.
    [​IMG]

From the inside.
    [​IMG]

This is what happens when you pull the end piece off. The oring rolling off like this relieve tension making it a lot easier to get off. When you install the end piece the oring moves towards the end piece. Up against that lip you saw a couple of pics ago. Once it's o0n and the end piece screws are in,... you cant turn the end piece nor pull back on it. Which means the oring isnt going anywhere. No need to worry about it coming off. Just make sure its on good at start.
    [​IMG]

so here's the first batch of end pieces that are done with the first stage. They are about 70% complete. Still have to drill, tap, and flame polish them.
    [​IMG]

Check this out. This is the differnce between two lathe bits at two different speeds. The upped finish is from a triangular shaped bit with slight hook and about a 1/16" radius tip @ 3000RPM. I ground this bit myself. 3000RPM is the fastest my drill press will go:) I used this setup for making a general cut. cutting the ugly hex or whatever the hell shape they were to a round shape. when cutting something like that with a odd or offset shape, depending on the material,... your going to want to cut it fast. This is so the material doesnt get hung up on the bit. This has happened to me. Not pretty. The lower finish is a factory made carbide bit with a good size hook, a 1/32" radius tip, and the angle of the bit is near flush to the cutting surface. I ran this bit at 1060RPM. It cuts a near polished finish. I can easily flame polish that without sanding.
    [​IMG]

Some pics of me cutting. I want to make a animated gif of this. Its pretty cool looking.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So yea,.. this is batch two. the outer diamter has been reached. Time for the inner diameter.
    [​IMG]

Inner diameter reached.
    [​IMG]

Now check this out. for those of you who were asking how I get should good accuracy with such a simple setup,... check this out. This is the inner diamter of batch 1. Just below 2.25".
    [​IMG]

This is batch 2. Just below 2.25":) Because when I need just below 2.25",.... I NEED JUST BELOW 2.25". No questions exceptions.
    [​IMG]

Batch 2 complete. Well,.. not complete. the first stage, you knwo what I mean.
    [​IMG]

Here's a better shot of that near polished cut. There was no sanding or polishing for this piece you see here. This is right away cutting. Swear. This will flame polish nicely.
    [​IMG]

Injection Molding worthy acrylic:) Well not really. It's contaminated. But the grind is just right:)
    [​IMG]

OMG. Look how much. LOL. Looks like friggin winter down there,... excuse me while I build a friggin snow man.
    [​IMG]

Batch 3 complete. thats 36 end pieces done with stage 1 in several hours time. If I did this straight without stopping, would of taken maybe 6-7 hours?!? Im not really sure. It was fun though.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

A quick flame polish test. What you think? A bit of surface bubbling,... but not bad. I need more practice. I heated the piece to much. I will polish one a bit and than move to the next. I will go through the entire pile and then go back to the first. This way they have time to cool.
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

I'll see about getting into the studio tomorrow. I dont know if thats going to happen. I am way tired right now and I have to work tonight. Might be to tired to go to studio tomorrow. Oh decided on a name for this style reservoir. The name will cover this basic version and the sFX versions of this style. The name is Amphora.

17. Teyber

Teyber ******

nice update!

are you using carbide tooling @ 3000rpm? (assume, just curious?)

What torch are you using to flame polish that? looks very nice :)

18. tribaloverkill

I use all kinds of bits at different RPM's. I have carbide bits that I use at 3000 and I have regular tool steel bits I use at that speed too. Same goes for lower RPMs. Its just a matter of knowing what works best at what speed. I can tell you now,... a bit with a serious hook to it does work well at high RPMs. Reason being because it wants to dig in. It ends up tearing chunks out instead of slicing its way through. No hook or very little hook for high RPMs. I have to take some pics later of everything im talking about right now. So many variations. I'll get pics of a few,...

I have 3 torches now. Propane pencil flame torch, propane high output spiral flame, and a MAPP/O2 torch. The high output spiral flame is suppose to be hotter. I think it is,... but the flame is pretty big. hard to focus on one area. The pencil flame isnt as hot but you can focus on a small area. The MAPP/ O2 torch is the S@#$! Very small flame and VERY hot! But its very expensive. You run out of O2 faster than MAPP gas. It's $7 a bottle. I think it said at a certain temp it will last 20 minutes. LOL. so yeah,... I use the propane because it works and its cheaper. You just have to take your time. You dont want to heat up the entire piece to much. Torch it all the way around and than let it cool. Then do it again. Patience.

19. tribaloverkill

Just a small update. This is from the 4th. I didnt get any work in on the 5th because I was tired as hell. So yea. Check it out

Aug-04-2008

Here's the new jig. Very simple. No big deal.
    [​IMG]

Theres the cetner post that I will put the end piees on so I know there are all centered. noticed the two holes. They are big. These are adjustment holes. You'll see.
    [​IMG]

Works like so. Basically,... the tapered bolts pass through teh larger holes in the wood. I can loosen these bolts to turn the metal dial thing to fine tuning.
    [​IMG]

This is how I adjust it. so that the pegging hole is exactly 90 degrees from the drilling point. I run the end mill down the side and it cuts a small groove. I then run and pencil REAL quick through the groove. The groove is rounded so the pencil rides along the center of the groove. You have to do it quick for it to qork. If you try to hard it wont work.
    [​IMG]

As you can see the pencil mark is just about centered.
    [​IMG]

I then use a protractor to check it and it appears to be dead on. Atleast right now it is. Of course, I have to do this everytime I take the jig out if the vise. So when I go to do the actual drilling,... I have to do it again.
    [​IMG]

Im going to try and get some work done tomorrow. I got some packages the other days. Tubing, acrylic cement, and applicator bottles. Im still waiting for my foot switches and torch. I alos order a new dial caliper. The one I really wanted to get is a $300 analog one. Thats crazy expensive so I settled for a $20 one. LOL. This one actually looks nice. It's a 6" digital caliper made of precision ground stainless steel. Its accurate up to .001. I can switch it from SAE to metric too:) so yea. Till next time.

20. Cheapskate

I'm curious about what you're using to hold the tubes 90 degrees for the lid pin holes. I KNOW you aren't eyeballing it.