1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TRIBALOVERKILL's Project: "Blackout"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tribaloverkill, 16 Aug 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

So,... I have good news. Bill Owens from WWW.MNPCTECH.COM is giving me replacment fan grills to replace the cheap crppy wire ones I was going to be using. They are new in design and not finished. He said the they will be done in about 2 - 3 weeks maybe sooner. He's going to be sending me like 5 of them, the 120mm versions:) You can see them here:

http://mnpctechcom.temp.powweb.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=272&cat=555

All I have to say about them is WOW, friggin WOW. Let me tell you,... I dont really go all out with fan grills, hence the crappy ones I was going to use. I'm not into the grills with the crazy designs. I like simple and sexy, to the point. Bill friggin nailed it with these grills! GAWD. I am going to use four of them under the radiator housing for the 120mm fans in there. I am also goign to use one in the back of the case. I really would like to add another fan to the case but I'm sure if thats going to happen. There is going to be one 120mm fans just for the PSU. I might add one of those grills to that fan and design around it. I think I am going to do that, Seriously. He is also sending me some U-Channel trim mold in hopes that it will work with the holes for the hoses. I was going to use the foam before but I wasn't 100% with that idea, niether were you guyz. Someone told me to try the trim mold Bill has for sale on his site here:

http://www.mnpctech.com/UChannel.html

Usually it's used for more open edges but I really need something other then a grommet to cover up the edges of my holes. I dont know how well it will work inside a holes this small. Knowing this Bill was still kind enough to send me some:) Thanks Bill! I had come up with the idea of having a sponsor or a "special thanks to" plate on the computer. It will most likely be a piece of acrylic cut to a nice rectangular shape. I will engrave any sponsors I have on it. Once done I will light it up. I think I'll do something like this:

Special Thanks to:

Bill Owens

WWW.MNPCTECH.COM

You think I should have "special thanks to" or "sponsors"? I dont know, I'll figure that out later. I cant wait to get home so I can work on the UV green insides.

2. MoOstick

MoOstick What's a Dremel?

Aouch those fan grills are really ... really... "vraiment terribles!"

3. tribaloverkill

They are hot! I friggin love em! I cant wait to get this compter done so I can start doign stuff like that. Did you see his other fan grill? Where he cut up a regular wire one and wrapped the honeycomb around the inside of it? Look through his store towards the bottom. It's simple but sweet! Here:
    http://www.mnpctech.com/HCGrills.html

4. MoOstick

MoOstick What's a Dremel?

Indeed they both are hot, but i prefer the first one, they look... massive. And nice, I can imagine them on my black side panel, nicely screwed on the side, mmmh likey!

5. tribaloverkill

My only concern is that I already placed and drilled my holes for the fans. I built that case to JUST fit the two rads and four 120mm fans back to back. The grills would most likely be placed side by side. I just hope there isnt to much slack after the holes for the bolts:( I'm going ot have ot talk to him and find out.

6. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

YOU'R THE MAN,TRIBALOVERKILL!!!

7. tribaloverkill

Let me get out my reading glasses,... hold on :hehe:.

8. tribaloverkill

SURPRISE!!!! It's an update!!! Kind of!!! Check it out,...

Heres what I did yesterday. I started bending the UV green inside.
    [​IMG]

The the gap in the corner that wa kind of bothering me. I'm ok with it now. You cant tell once it's diffused.
    [​IMG]

Got this the other day to cut away the bend line so the edge of the bend won't be so round. I'm not going to do that anymore. I'm going to use it for engraving now:)
    [​IMG]

All done,... but to short. As I said in my last post,... some how it shrunk. So I will flattent his out and use it for one of the other covers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heres what it's going to look like once done. Keep in mind this plastic isnt diffused. It will be more bright once it is.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok,... I'm off to the shop to start. PEACE!

9. LOTTARO

LOTTARO What's a Dremel?

faquin yit! looks amazing!

MORE UPDATES!!! :D

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Oh my god I'm still laughing my as$ of to that plankton-sponge bob-fight :D You could maybe do few animations after finishing this case! LOL :D

11. onarahosting

onarahosting What's a Dremel?

Holy snapping duckshit.

http://www.mnpctech.com/

This guy rocks. Billet alum is sweet and he's making soem amazing things for mods. I'm going to buy hundreds of those fan grills as soon as he makes them.

12. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

13. tribaloverkill

Ok, heres my update.

VFD's UV insert. I used the my orbital sander to diffure instead of the coarse saned paper. It was so much easier. It leaves a nice finish too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LED cover and insert.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My first engraving. It's pretty cool. I am really going to enjoy doing it more.
    [​IMG]

Here I'm bending the tower insert. I did it while it's lit up like that. Pretty cool beans. It took me to attempts to get it right. Well,... I got the first bend right, I mean you cant really mess hat up. Its the second bend that was off a bit. I could barely get the insert inside the tower. I flattened it out and did it again. I nailed it the second time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the tower insert almost finished. I still have to diffuse the back side of it. I tried my best to light it up so it would look kind of like the way it would if I had all the UV LEDs I haved planned for it installed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the LED cover installed to the case with some UV light. This is pretty much whats its going to look like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the VFD cover. The VFD cover is goign to have alot of UV green buttons. This is why I didnt cut out alot of designs.
    [​IMG]

So what do you think?

14. quadmodz

quadmodz What's a Dremel?

Whaatt theee!!! SUPERB!!! :clap: And also congrats on your sponsor! :D

15. tribaloverkill

16. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Options
    1. You could install a grill on each side of the fan that's going in the back of the case.
    2. You could install two grills on one side of the fan offset from it by spacers then put some UV green acrylic inbetween the two grills (or just acting as a border or something).

*hint hint :D

To extend the effect you could offset all of the fan grills from the case a little by a making UV green acrylic "shims".

If the moulding doesn't work you could try metal grommets.
    [​IMG]
    Or polypropylene snap-in grommets
    [​IMG]
    Or shoulder bushings
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Sep 2005
  17. tribaloverkill

Very true but space is limited in between the rad housing and the case. The grill are I believe 1/4" thick. I forgot about other side of the rear fan, grill wise. I guess I'll just have to make something myself.

18. onarahosting

onarahosting What's a Dremel?

looks great. The diffused effect is perfect for that setup.

D

19. Pitbull

Pitbull What's a Dremel?

Damn how sweet:) from little to big pwnage!

20. Yiping

Yiping What's a Dremel?

wow all the UVs... :clap:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.