1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TRIBALOVERKILL's Project: "Blackout"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tribaloverkill, 16 Aug 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

tribaloverkill, I have to nominate you for the "Best use of comedy in a project log" award. I mean seriously, I've probably pissed everyone off in the bit-tech irc room by post so many of your pics in there.

Just one question tho, where do you live? (State/City wise, I mean...)

EDIT:: and I see from GruntvillE that you're from Mount Holly(Burlington County), New Jersey... so that answers my question.

2. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

1. Great amazing job
    2. Great looking mod
    3. Good offtopic pics
    4. Love Spongebob's new episodes, which season is this?
    5. WANT MORE SPONGEBOB!
    6. I'm keeping an eye on this one
    7. Congrats! :)

3. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

LOL,... thanks. I already have the next SB episode planned out, LOL! Going to be SB meets the sapranos:)

4. quadmodz

quadmodz What's a Dremel?

weee... Sponge Bob Sponge Bob Sponge Bob... :hehe:

5. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Great modding, AND comedy, it doesn't get any better than this people :)

6. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Read all the pages! Alot of pics! which i like!!!

Love the comedy you got goin there :D made me lol a few times. :hehe:

Awesome mod, deffo the best lian li ive seen, you've got good imagination too!! :hip:

Have some *'s ;)

7. Best Mod Ever! 'nuff said! You've really impressed me with this mod and I think you had awesome talent. keep up the good work mate! :thumb:

8. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Hey m8, I can explain your thinking its called genius, to be more exact genius amoung modders.

9. tribaloverkill

LOL. Thanks guyz! Yo,... I just got done filing the third inner shield so I have one more to go. After that I will bend/ form them to wrap over the top of the pumps. After that I will sand and polish. It's early too so I might start cutting the UV accents!!! Sweet!

10. MoOstick

MoOstick What's a Dremel?

With the cutting of those shield won't they be too fragile while bending them? I mean it could be stupid but why didn't you bend them before cutting them...
    SpongeBob is not well known in france but I still laugh with your SB interludes!

11. cc rass

cc rass What's a Dremel?

Very nice mod and nice to see some fun stuff too. Keep going and gl with it.

12. I HATE SpongeBob tho :miffed:

13. JRY

JRY What's a Dremel?

Amazing work m8!!
    i wish i had a half of ur skills!! :)
    keep up the good work

14. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Looks excellent!!!

Lol at the Spongebob episodes :D

Keep up the good work :thumb:

15. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

My mini pool table came with some sticky foam bar. Its like a strip of foam with a sticky side on it. You would probably have some good luck with that on the res. I just used some to make padding for a 9v battery clamp.

16. tribaloverkill

OK,... HERE IT IS IN ALL IT"S GLORY!!! It's not done but still,... it is friggin COOL!

Here I have an inner shield in the vise so I can file the designs out.
    [​IMG]

Here are all the pieces filed down and sanded. I am now ready to bend them.
    [​IMG]

Again, here is the prototype and the bend I need to accomplish.
    [​IMG]

This is th epipe I am going to use to bedn the pieces. The pipe radius is the same as the radii of the case corners.
    [​IMG]

See how it fits nicely:)
    [​IMG]

Now,... a good thing is that when I first tried bending aluminum I hd scoured a straight line from one side of the pipe to the other. I used this line to line up the aluminum for the bend. Well,... it didnt work because it was hard as heel to line up the aluminum and keep it on the line. Anyways,... I am going to use this line once again to bend these pieces. This tim eI have a VISE to help me.
    [​IMG]

Now,... both sides of the piece needs to be straight. Only the mid section needs to be bent. What I will start bending from the opposite side where the bolts go. I do this because I can stop bending when I get to that side, that means that side will be straight because I didnt bend it. The other side that I started bending from will be bent. It needs to be somewhat straight too. I can easily bend it back some to straighten it out. So I have to line up the side opposite of where the bolts go, with the line on the pipe.
    [​IMG]

I will then tape the piece to that line to make it easier when clamping it down in the vise.
    [​IMG]

I cut a new piece of angled aluminum to go in the vise with the piece to protect it from having the pattern of the jaws imprinted on it. This angled aluminum is slightly shorter then the inner shield itself. I did this so I can see if the piece is on the line. Heres one side lined up,...
    [​IMG]

Heres the other side,...
    [​IMG]

Once I have the pipe and piece clamped down tight,... using a piece of wood and a hammer I begin hammering away. You have to hammer from where the piece is clamped down and out. Dont start anywhere else because it wont bend around the pipe. It will kind of fold ontop of it. I have to be careful to make sure I hammer this piece evenly from one side to the other. Some of the areas are weaker then others and therefore will try and fold rather then bend nicely. Any folding can be easily tpped out using a small hammer.
    [​IMG]

This is what you should get when done.
    [​IMG]

Looks good but not perfect yet.
    [​IMG]

Heres why,... see the side of the piece closet to the barbs? It's round, needs ot be more straight. Also,... by the bolts, it's hard to see in the pic but its a bit round there too. The closest edge to the camera or the outline of the piece is round so it may look as if my bend is more round then it really is.
    [​IMG]

Heres after fixing it.
    [​IMG]

17. tribaloverkill

This is more like it. That once edge there by the barbs needs to be straightened out a bit more. It looks dented. but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

Heres a preview with the prototype side.
    [​IMG]

Here's two of them done.
    [​IMG]

See how the the two pieces look kind of whole? Thats what I want.
    [​IMG]

All of them done.
    [​IMG]

Shot with some tygon hooked to the pump. How cool does that look!
    [​IMG]

Polished up!!! SWEET!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the polished sides. The sides are not bolted down, they are just leaning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the case without the sides on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now,... theres a problem. The UV accents are pretty much the same shape as the aluminum pieces. The UV accents get bolted along with the aluminum pieces. Now,... the problem,... the UV accents for the inner shields are going to go under the aluminum pieces. I fI bolt it along with the aluminum the aluminum pieces will be pushed 1/8" away from the center. Which means the middle or vertical gap will be 1/4" larger then I want it to be. It will be larger then the horizontal gap. I need to figure out how I will fasten the UV accents. Anways,... WHAT DO YOU THINK!!! COOL EHH???

18. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

that is very cool. Dry ice in fact.

19. H311R4153R

H311R4153R What's a Dremel?

Amazing details on the pump :jawdrop: , fantastic mod.

20. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Sweet dude. I woke up at 5: am just to check for an update. That is nice m8.

I am still blowen away on how you mounted the Res too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.