1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Tribes: Ascend

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by specofdust, 23 Jun 2012.

1. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Ive found this alot, it doesnt make the game fun when its just so 1 sided but this is a game that does need team voice comms to organise everyone.

2. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Tribes is disorganised due to its fast paced nature and big open map. I too have not been in a close (or particularly exciting) game yet unfortunately.

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

This changes a lot as you rank up. The early games can be horribly unbalanced just due to new players all having roughly similar ranks.

Don't get me wrong, when you enter a game where it's all 25-35's against 15's to 25's you know you're going to lose, but in general I've found that the more you rank up the more balanced it becomes.

As people start to learn the quick voice commmands (v/x/z) things become a lot better. While not everyone respects them, things like VFF (I have the flag) do in general work, and once you start to know that say, your TCN and BRT are going to defend the Gen, it makes planning what you'll do much easier (For you, and the rest of the team) and hence becomes better. This does seem to be a game which does improve with ranks and skill.

edit: Once more, do report your Tribes username and I'll add it to the list at the top. It'd be great to get bit-tech players all playing together.

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

steveom I think...

Well I'll keep at it. The game is brilliant fun when on a good team and its flowing well, trying to lead a target which can pretty swiftly change direction or altitude its much more of challenge than most I've played of late.

5. Xlog

Xlog Active Member

Tribes: x-log
    Steam: xlog

6. wst

wst Active Member

Actually had a decent pub game tonight! It was on Temple Ruins just to make it even more surprising. I swapped my rage perk for reach and improvised a pair of caps, and also worked on some routes. Got a "Gone to Plaid" with a 31xkm/h ski, and my first "That. Just. Happened" with a 295km/h grab. Also got a blue plate from doing some LO while someone else from my team had the flag. All in one game.

My team won 5-4 to put the cherry on the cake!

7. suragh

suragh Derp

I seem to play this game much better when I have had beer.

8. NethLyn

NethLyn Member

Yep saw you tonight spec, but then you didn't come through to the same Temple Ruins I did and then that server started lagging out, hopefully there won't be similar problems when the new maps are added in the next patch.

Will jump back on in a sec but it's better to have the game through Steam because then people can communicate properly without the hardcore getting arsey in the VG chat system that you've said flippin' hello to each other - with the catch that you will stop dead moving when shift-tabbing to talk in the overlay. Have joined the most recent Bit Group on Steam as well so easier to try to co-ordinate games, but I'm playing a little less of everything until I've watched The Dark Knight Rises.

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Grabbing it through Steam now. The game's been quite horribly laggy at times for me (as in, for about 7 seconds I'm in a world of my own, then I plug back in and i'm on the other side of the map, or dead) but I think that's due to RAM issues.

10. hyperion

hyperion Active Member

I've been playing this game for a few months now. Trying to get into EU servers is a nightmare at times and for some reason my client crashes a lot when I play on EU servers, so I'm forced to play on USeast most of the time. Ping is around 110-130 which is "ok" but I can't use machineguns with a ping like that, which is a shame 'cause machineguns are kinda OP.

11. NethLyn

NethLyn Member

Anyone who was wavering over the Gold through Steam the first time, it's one of the second big three Steam flash sales today, £3.74, until 4am tomorrow, no need to link just login to Steam and the store or it'll show up in the app.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2012
  12. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Does this just add onto a existing tribes account?

13. NethLyn

NethLyn Member

Sorry I missed your post, crashed to get up for Batman :) Yes, when you buy the Steam starter pack it's treated as DLC so you log in to your account and within three reboots of the game the 800 gold and whatever extras you didn't already own, will be added - if it didn't add then Hi Rez would want a support ticket.

Hadn't even got into whether you were still using a beta-era account and tried to buy the Steam pack without a direct download in Steam first. I couldn't be bothered faffing about so just re-downloaded it and uninstalled the old one.

If you missed it, nm, it looks like it'll be something regular that will get a midweek in Steam later on down the line.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2012
  14. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Okay will just have to wait for it to come cheap again, i did have tribes installed direct from the site but i removed it and reintalled via steam.

15. Orca

Orca New Member

I've played this a bit recently in short bursts and I've quite enjoyed it, although most of the games are real hit and miss. Probably because I'm just playing CTF which involves a certain level of teamwork, but still good fun. Was tempted to get that starter pack on Steam but I don't see the incentive for me at the moment, standard free-to-play is enough for me so far :thumb:

16. wst

wst Active Member

Nipped on, saw X-log playing, then I saw Spec log in so I joined in over there. He killed me too many times while I was begging my team to knock out the forcefield on the raindance flag stand. Then I found my groove and got 2 caps and one 'almost' where the heavy on my own flag got in the way so I shot him, died, but he got the flag and capped automatically as I died so it all worked out in the end.

Had 8 GOTTA GO FAST medals at the end from so many times where I slammed into the glitchy lip on the flag stand, or into the forcefield, or into a hail of bullets from spec!

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Yeah, you were certainly making good fast approaches to our flagstand there, I've been working on my offensively defence technician though. Good playing all round. Saw a few bit-techers on there tonight before succumbing to the awful lag.

As always folks, post your Tribes playername and I'll add you to the list.

18. sourdough

sourdough Member

Loved Tribes 1, didn't play T2, just played 2 days of TA, it's still fun even though I was crap. It'll take me forever to unlock even the basic classes as I don't like pay to win. I have some questions though:
    - are the weapons, belt items etc tied to the classes once they are unlocked? e.g. can I only use the chaingun as a Juggernaut or carry mines as a doombringer?
    - i am playing the non-steam version. are there separate servers for the Steam version? i can choose a Region for the server but can't see/choose individual servers.
    - can I not create local servers? I know there is a Roam option for learning the maps but it would be nice to be able to create a local game to mess about in.

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Unlocks are unique to classes except for the primary and secondary perks (I believe). They really don't take that long to unlock though.

Non-steam version plays on the same servers as steam version.

Not sure about local servers, you can always just explore a map though and play around with weapons in that if you desire.

20. Xahl

Xahl Your mum's a Dremel

I was playing TA for a while and I've stopped right around they changed the progression unlock system. I should return again but I usually play solo which isn't as rewarding in this game.

I think the thing that turned me away from this game was the matchmaking system. Specifically how you can be put into a rotation of games that's been going on and will continue to go on once you've left. Do you think it would be particularly game destroying to have a lock in system for each match? That way you know who's in there, whether you've played them before or when they've left and been replaced by someone new who hasn't been in the previous matches...