1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tron: Itty Bitty Box

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Captain Slug, 10 May 2003.

1. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

This has been in the "planning" stage for almost 7 month now and I'm just now getting around to collecting all the needed parts.

My computer needs have dramatically changed so I'm building myself a new secondary rig for graphical work and media playback. As a challenge (and because I love doing this) I'm building my own case out of glossy black ABS plastic sheets.

Here's what the current planned "look" will be but it may be changed soon because of something I just found (more on that later).
    [​IMG]
    The red ring you see on the front is a stainless steel illuminated switch I'm using for the power button
    [​IMG]

Weighing in at a mere 6 pounds and measuring only 12 x 8.5 x 3.5 inches in size, this is the smallest machine I've ever attempted. Even at this miniature scale I still have the option of adding an AGP video card AND a PCI modem if I decide later on that I need them.

Here are the specs
    - Celeron 700 (easy to cool, low power usage)
    - 128-256mb RAM (I'm currently trading for a stick)
    - UDMA66 6gb laptop hard drive
    - 8x laptop DVD-ROM drive w/ window
    - s370 FlexATX motherboard (the one I was going to use died so I'm poking around for a replacement)
    - silent 95w TFX12V PSU
    Total noise level = 18dba

And now the fun part. I have an LED throbber circuit IN the mail at the moment which will drive 4 RED LEDs. And (just today) I gathered the courage to disect an old bare LCD screen that was originally made for a Compaq 1020 Laptop. I managed to remove the backlight without damaging it and I wired it up to an inverter and now I have the second lighting effect for this case...
    [​IMG]
    I was thinking of using it to shine through a cutout, but the darn thing is so bright that I'd blind people whenever I took this machine somewhere.

Phew, I still have alot of work to do. Today I should be starting the process of cutting out all the sheets with a friends cross-cut saw.
    :dremel:

2. Jack

Jack Minimodder

I think im gonna have to post another projet log!!

Ive thought the same thing even with the vandal switch's

dam you

looking forward to it mate

3. Confusitron

Confusitron What's a Dremel?

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! SOMEONE ELSE HAS STOLEN MY IDEA!!! I HATE THIS! 3RD PERSON WHOSE STOLEN IT!!!!!!

4. Captain Slug

Re: Re: Tron: Itty Bitty Box

I haven't decided whether I like it that way, or illuminating a complex cutout.

5. Penguin4x4

Penguin4x4 What's a Dremel?

Wow Slug didn't know you posted here too. Nice to see ya bud, :)

6. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

hmmm... that's a good Idea...

I think I'll use it, but adapt it a bit.
    (so it's not a complete copy, just an adaptation. :D )

7. Digitalblueshift

Digitalblueshift What's a Dremel?

Re: Re: Tron: Itty Bitty Box

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but also UVing the traces and lighting them.

8. Captain Slug

Instead of lighting the motherboard the backlight will face the otherway and shine through a black-and-white transparency giving the look of an illuminated cutout with the cost in time or effort. Plus, the design can get far FAR more intricate.
    Another added plus is that for another $0.20 I can just make a different one...
    [​IMG]

9. Captain Slug

*sighs

OKAY, distractions aside I now have a new motherboard coming in the mail. It's the right size and has everything I need for this machine.
    I was too ill on Saturday to get to my friends house to cut all the pieces but I want to go and get everything cut before the weekend. That way I'll have all day saturday to do the smaller finishing touches.

This is the board
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's only 9 x 7.5