Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 27 Feb 2011.
This is very cool. I'll be watching.
That is because you Rock, and it also explains why all the plexi came out ready to assemble, musta put in a decent amount of planning
what an amazing concept. the design work alone must have been quite time consuming. i would guess you spent an eternity of thought into this. it paid off as your design looks like it's coming together perfectly. good luck in the competition.
Thanks Voigts, glad to have you along.
Thank you Nanosec & lysol. Yes, I spent about 50 hours designing the bike, and I tried to think of everything, like cabling and watercooling access and pass-through holes. I'm sure I forgot something though!
Got more work done on the fairings over the weekend. Looking at the various reference pics I found online, I was able to determine the basic shape of the front fairings.
And since I had the bike parts mocked up, I could place the fairings onto the bike and see how they fit. I had purposely made them wider than they needed to be, so I could cut them down to the exact size.
Cutting the fairings. The foam plug was once again utilized to hold the pieces in place.
Pulling the excess away
Transferring to the other side, mirroring the shape.
Both cut and back on the bike.
After a few adjustments to the cuts so they matched up perfectly, I began the smoothing process. I started by knocking the rough, bumpy surface down with the belt sander.
Once I got it down flat, it was time to add body filler. For a glob of bondo this size, I needed about 3" of hardener.
Gave each piece a good coat of filler, and went a little thicker in the areas where the fairings were a little thin to even it up.
Skipping ahead past the sanding, application of a second skin coat of filler and more sanding, I still needed to fill some minor pin holes and low spots with glazing putty.
After letting that dry and sanding it smooth, the fairings were brought in once more for a fit on the bike.
A close up of the surface. I still need to round the corners a bit more on the left side, to match the right. Other than that, it's pretty much ready for some primer.
I think I'll get the mounting pieces on the bottom of the fairings first before I start priming though. I might be able to tackle that tonight.
Sweet sweet body work Bod .
You dodged the bullet before it was fired. ...Wait... I'm kinda sad about that. Now I'll never see a clever way to cut an oversize tube evenly.
Pretty slick work there. -bad pun intended.
incredible work bodd, question though....why didn't you mold acrylic for the fairings? not that what you did looks terrible....just curious to know.
very nice Love the body work
This is going to be epic bro! That body filler is a nightmare for my nose and skin, each time I work with it, I have to dress like a knight or something lolz
I was wondering, how durable are these pieces?
If I had a band saw, I'd use that. Otherwise I'd probably set up my jig saw in a fixed position with a fence and just turn the tube.
I was thinking about using my vacuum forming table and making the fairings out of acrylic, but it would have taken a lot of work to get my table operational again, and this was a quicker alternative.
Thank you AnG3L, yes the bondo is quite odorific lol! I've gotten used to it though, but I still wear gloves and respirator when working with it.
These pieces are very light and flexible, but will crack if bent too far. I will be adding some reinforcement on the underside, which will also serve as a mounting surface, so that should stiffen them up. They are non-load-bearing pieces so they don't need to be any stronger than that.
It sounds pretty durable stuff and it will become stronger with the reinforcement addition.Cant wait for more!!!
wow, ya Im Sub'ed to this, cant wait to see more
Looking mighty fine!
Great stuff Bod! I love the molding and faring work, reminds me of this past summer which I spent in a specialty boat shop refinishing boat bottoms for racing.
I'll be watching as I work on my next creation, cheers.
Thanks man. I have no doubt your next creation will be just as phenomenal as Flow (if not more so). Looking forward to seeing some progress.
Started working on the rear fairlings. I measured and cut them just as I did the front ones, except it's just a straight cut on these, no patterns.
Cleaned up the cuts and set them on the bike for a test fit.
I didn't really fancy sanding and filling tonight, so I'll tackle that probably this weekend. What I really wanted to do was make the tail part that will cover the tip of the edge where the light wall comes out of the bike. This cover will be molded into the rear fairing, and as such, both halves will then become one part.
To make this piece, I will be bending a small piece of 1/8" acrylic into a U shape. So the first thing I had to do was make a metal pocket for the acrylic to fold into. I found a 3/4" dia. pipe and bent some sheet metal around it, then flared the ends so it sat in the vice like so.
Then I cut my piece of acrylic down to size and found another smaller 1/2" pipe to push it into the pocket when heated up.
I first heated up the pipe with a torch, then heated the acrylic with my heat gun until I could push it down into the pocket with the pipe. I immediately stuck some wood scraps in there to keep the sides straight while it cooled.
After a few minutes here is the result... a perfect U shape!
Here is where it will go on the bike. I will round the top of that center rib, and paint the sides and top edge black, leaving the trailing edge for the glowy light to show through. Should look pretty slick!
This concludes the Mid-week Modding "Bodcast". Thanks for tuning in!
Wow bending skills F T W!!! Bodcast rocks buddy!! Now moar pl0x!!!
WOW what a sweet build and that acrylic is just...
Separate names with a comma.