1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics trrs jack to hd audio header?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by IvanIvanovich, 7 Feb 2011.

1. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

anyone have any ideas to how i could wire a trrs audio jack up for use on my pc? i would like to connect to the hd audio header on the mother board. reason for this is being able to use my really nice headphones with built in mic i bought for my ipod while at home too. would be nice for voip, etc. and save me from having to get another headset.

2. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

mvagusta likes this.
  3. IvanIvanovich

ok, thats a start. so if i got this straight, i would wire it like so: trrs socket tip to header pin 1 and/or 3 (mic), trrs socket ring 1 to header pin 5 (right ch.), trrs socket ring 2 to header pin 9 (left ch.) and trrs socket sleeve to header pin 2 (ground)? pins 4,6,7,10 (sense / presence functions) need to be connected to anything?

4. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

You just need a 4 pole socket and solder the correct wires from the connector. If you do it right there's no reason to consult your motherboard manual, it will be like 2 sockets in one.

5. IvanIvanovich

i finally found a wiring diagram that illustrates which wires on the header connect to which pins on the jack. i thought i would post it as it may be beneficial to someone else wiring their own jack solution.[​IMG]

6. IvanIvanovich

tested ok. i needed to make some adjustments for full functionality. what i ended up with:
    pin 1 - micL - sleeve
    pin 2 - grnd - ring2
    pin 3 - micR - sleeve
    pin 4 - det - ground
    pin 5 - outR - ring1
    pin 6 - retR - ring1
    pin 7 - JD - ground
    pin 8 - NC - NC
    pin 9 - outL - tip
    pin 10 -retL - tip

this works fine with ipod compatible headsets (hence adjustments made). other uses may vary.

Last edited: 2 Apr 2011