1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows truly free recovery software ??

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gascan1888, 7 Jul 2006.

1. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 What's a Dremel?

well my main rig died yesterday, hard drive failure :wallbash: . luckly i kept everything backed up on my new 250 gb external hdd :D . i was dumb enough to accidently wipe the whole partition trying to reinstall windows later that night. (it was a long night) so i download some free recovery software and see all my files are easliy recoverable. but the damn trial software is usless as it wont let me copy anything over. so does anybody know of any good software that can recover my files ?? i dont want to pay $60 for software i'll never use again. i'll even pay for cheaper software if i could find somthing that would work.

2. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately... I really don't think you're going to get data recovery software for FREE!?

It's worth investing in though IMO.
    How do you know you'll only ever need it this once? I'd be willing to bet that... until this happened... you never thought you'd need it at all :idea:

I bought GetDataBack (NTFS) a year or two back... and it helped me get back almost everything I thought I'd lost forever.
    It's one of the more expensive solutions... but what price can you put on the stuff you've 'lost'?

Programs which are worth investigating include:

GetDataBack
    Recover Lost Data
    Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery
    +
    Active@ UNDELETE

But you might want to have a read of this 2006 data recovery software report, before deciding if you're going to splash out or not?

Good luck... whatever you decide :thumb:

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

4. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 What's a Dremel?

good find cpemma, but since i deleted the partition windows doesnt actualy see my external hdd, and that recovery software goes by the drive letter which i dont have.

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I don't repartitioning wipes the data, just messes with the partition table... But I'm not sure...

6. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

you should be fine to repartition /reformat your external dive before using which ever recovery software, I've done it tons of time when my old digital camera would decide to unformat my compact flash card, simple reformat and recover and I'd get back all the photos.

7. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I wish I had known about that kind of software. About 6 months ago, a hard-drive crashed, it was in a RAID 5 box from Dell. What Dell didn't think about with their RAID 5 box was the fact that it's OS and all it's settings were on Drive 0- which was effectively a brick now. Without that Drive, the data could not be recovered from the three other hard-drives inside the box. . . :rolleyes:

There were 3 backup hard-drives, 2 had data that was way out of date, the third was unreadable. Called up a company called on-track, and over the web they diagnossed the hard-drive and repaired the damage. Apparently the windows backup utility was not deleting the old backups, and once the drive got full it started writing over the partition table- but it stopped writing as soon as it had chewed up the partition table.

It took maybe an hour max for on-track to finish the job. Final cost? Well over $1000. The data in question was easily worth more than the cost of recovery, but if I had known of a cheaper way to fix the partition table that would have been amazing. :)

L J

8. bonise

bonise What's a Dremel?

I used EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard. It had a prices tag but from my experience it was worth it. http://www.easeus.com

9. customh

customh conflagration.

I use r-studio, works like a charm. (google it)

10. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

O&O software all the way

11. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

Search for Pc Inspector File Recovery Its free i have it on my cmputer in work

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

There's a freebie of O&O Disk Recovery v3 Personal Edition on this month's Computer Shopper... here's the details on latest v4.

Tags: