1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Truly MTC-C204DPLY 20x4LCD

Discussion in 'Modding' started by InSanCen, 29 Jun 2006.

1. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

I have one of these, and a Datasheet/Pinout to go with it.
    http://www.mpja.com/download/14194op.pdf

What I need to know is what pins do I connect to the Parallel, and what Software do I use to Drive it?

Any suggestions, Pointers etc?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

It looks almost exactly the same as standard HD4 displays, check the mod guides thread for a guide on how to connect via USB

3. ARM

ARM Minimodder

Hi InSanCen,
    Didn't go through the datasheet in details, but if it's a HD44780 compatible (which most LCDs I know are), then you can use this wiring:
    http://lcdsmartie.sourceforge.net/circuits.htm
    and I use LCD Smartie. Go through the website and read the faqs before starting.
    Good luck with 'Truly'.

ARM

4. InSanCen

Cheers, it looks like it is indeed a HD44780 compatible.

Will be wiring it up tonight...

It did come with a Parallel Cable soldered on, but it was so badly done I couldn't tell what went where (Wires were snapped etc), so I cut the cable off, and will do it again.

5. InSanCen

Okay.. not going with USB... I liked the Idea of running it off an internal header, no wires running out of the case.

But, I can't program a PIC (No facilities, and no Know-how.. latter is easy to sort, but the former isn't)

Ah well, out with the Parallel cable and a Soldering Iron. will have to get a metal hood for it, at least make it look half decent.

EDIT:-
    Question.. I have the power already hooked up to a Molex (5v+GND)... if I apply power, will I get something to tell me it's working (Previous owner made a right mess of it, would like to know it works before I go solder happy). Does it have a self-test or initialisation that will show on the LCD itself?

6. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

1st and 3rd lines black, 2nd and third lines blank i think.... its been a while!

7. ARM

ARM Minimodder

Hi InSanCen,
    Quick test:
    Pin 1 to ground (molex black wire)
    Pin 2 to +5V (molex red wire)
    Pin 3 to ground (molex black wire).
    You'll get 1st and 3rd lines on (dark), 2nd and 4th lines off (as stated by Bigal).

ARM

8. InSanCen

Thanking you muchly...

Will test that tomorrow. If it's all tickety boo, I'll start making the mount & cover for it... if not, I'll see if I can get another on fleabay.

Here's a peek at another bit of the case that it's going in.. that's a 172x150mm Papst... :D :eeek:

[​IMG]

Need to make a fan controller for it now...

9. ARM

ARM Minimodder

Hi InSanCen,
    If you don't have a circuit for the fan controller, I'd highly recommend one based on the LM317, which is easy to build. Here's one example:
    http://www.cpemma.co.uk/reg.html

Have fun.

ARM

10. InSanCen

You're Psychic :D :thumb:

Link duly bookmarked... Although I think I will be using the MIC29502BT as this fan must have a large initial surge on it (The startup "whine" is amazing, like an Industrial belt sander, but in reverse... the pitch goes high-low-none)

Have been playing with mesh to cover that fan (It's ripped one of my fingernails off with a slight brush, hate to think what it would do to my cat's).

I will test the LCD, then go to Maplins for parts for the Fan Controller later today.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2006