1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Trump extends Chinese trade war tariffs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 18 Sep 2018.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Important news, no doubt; but not sure it suits Bit-tech.... Quiet news day?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

It absolutely suits bit-tech: as the linked original article makes clear, the trade war is going to have a massive impact on technology companies which source, produce, assemble, and/or test in China - which is pretty much all of them. Hell, the initial - far smaller - tariffs were given as the primary contributory factor for CaseLabs' insolvency.

4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

This was my first thought.

Although it obviously affects tech companies the story is already well known and not really specific enough to warrant being on the site.

Another lazy day at the office if you want my blunt opinion.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Already well known? The memo was only released late last night!
    If I'd wanted to be lazy, I'd have done a couple of paragraphs on the PUBG Xbone visual downgrade or Sea of Thieves DLC delay - they'd have been way quicker to write.

David, MLyons and RedFlames like this.
  6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I disagree entirely. Whilst I knew of the tariffs that the Orange Menace is to apply to imports from China I didn't know how much they would affect the tech industry nor did I know that the tariffs had already caused one well-known PC related company to go under.

I don't see the problem with news stories being on this site which are also being more widely reported (on the BBC website or wherever) if they are written from the point of view of 'how is this going to affect the tech industry'.

7. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

This. Keep doing what you're doing, Gareth! :D

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Perfectly relevant. I think Caselabs would back me up on that.

Last list I saw was 200+ tech firms being hit by the tariffs. Everyone as you were.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

There are precisely zero relevant PC component manufacturers in the world that aren't affected by it, so I'd say it is very much a story that belongs on bit-tech.

TheMadDutchDude likes this.
  10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I so want to say #winning but i feel it would be inappropriate. :oops:

11. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

Well, China has been playing the underhanded jerk with their financial tactics for years. Lowering the value of their money, companies basically being extensions of the gov, etc. Who will blink first?

12. Gareth Halfacree

Just in case there was any lingering doubt that this was newsworthy - not that I'm bitter, he says through clenched teeth - WCCF Tech claims to have internal documents from companies including MSI suggesting that the MSRP of Nvidia's already-too-expensive GeForce RTX cards are going to increase by $70-80 a unit thanks specifically to this latest round of tariffs - and that's at the lower 10 percent rate, not the 25 percent rate due to go into effect at the end of the year.

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The remaining question is how much the US-impacting tariffs will impact pricing outside of burgerland. It could just be business as usual, or vendors could take the option to spread a price rise around globally to soften the increase (e.g. 10% price increase for 50% of your sales, or 5% price increase for 100% of your sales).

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Many just set the MSRP in USD and only USD, so the rest of the world is just whatever that USD converts to plus any local premiums.

15. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

True, but that leaves the opportunity for a vendor who sells mostly outside the US (e.g. Galax) to undercut the competition outside the US market.

Tags: Add Tags