1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trumpet Blowing 2016

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by debs3759, 16 Jan 2016.

1. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

Hi I just passed 500,000,000

2. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Half a billion - and in the team top 10 :thumb:

3. gupsterg

gupsterg What's a Dremel?

Well in the Top 135 now :) .

[​IMG]

I should jump to 134 pretty soon.

Had bit of an issue with a) server not accepting units at one point b) setting up OC for Fiji cards for f@h.

4. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Congrats johnim40 and gupster. :thumb:

5. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

100 Million Points!!!!!!

6. DocJonz

Nice one :thumb:

(I've just made the World top 25 :cooldude:)

7. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Well done everyone, especially DocJonz - that's an awesome achievement!

8. Tattysnuc

:jawdrop:

9. gupsterg

Cheers :) .

WOW! :jawdrop::thumb:

OMG! :jawdrop::jawdrop: :thumb::thumb:

Gotta admit when I sometimes view accounts I've passed many have been inactive for ages :rolleyes: , I reckon if it wasn't for the big folders Bit Tech/CPC Team would be at an utter loss.

10. Tattysnuc

indeed, but every little help
    - sure, Doc Jones manages to deliver 14% of the total teams points, and the Top 20 might produce 80.8% of the current 24hr ppd, but there still a lot of room in there for growth and experimentation.
    PCShedTV recently documented their meteoric rise through the ranks before shutting down. Every little helps - obviously, the more who can longer term, the better for the team, but even just processing 1 workunit will help. The reasons for folding vary - I do it to warm parts of the house that have no radiators plumbed in. Doc does it for his reasons. The fact that there are so many who have participated is the teams heritage and makes it interesting to climb the rankings. To break that top 100, a major achievement. To get in the top 20 producers.... A feat of financial suicide and folding dedication :)

Whatever the reason, it's great to see and be part of such an active team.

11. gupsterg

Yep, shame PCShedTV have ceased production :( , I have thoughts similar to your post in that thread ;) . Last CPC issue had an interview with PCShedTV as folder of the month IIRC.

I agree everyone and every unit counts :) , some how the ranks need bolstering to get some more activity going. I've seen on OCN they run foldathons and IIRC some sort of prize. Perhaps such a thing can be organised on Bit Tech? perhaps I'm slightly out of place as a newish member with suggestion and not knowing what has been done in the past to improve participation :)blush:).

Currently I'm finding on Fiji I don't seem to get high scoring units consistently, which I find strange. When I run Hawaii cards they really rock, as they consistently get good scoring units. Anyhow will ask thoughts of other members in another thread once I collate the information.

12. planem997

planem997 What's a Dremel?

Passed 2 million and top 500, started folding again a few weeks ago. Stopped 4 years ago. Making the same ppd as it took me in a month 5 years ago. How tech changes. Looking forward to hitting 10 mill. Might invest in a 980ti or worth waiting for the next nvidia offering??

Tattysnuc likes this.
  13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

It's definitely not worth waiting for the next Nvidia GPU family for folding. The sweet spot for PPD per £ is currently the GTX 970, the 980Ti would net you even more PPD if you can stretch to the cost. Personally it still pains me a little to buy brand new current generation GPUs, then banish them to a folding rig for the foreseeable future to crunch proteins at full bore until they die and go to GPU heaven (or back to the manufacturer for RMA) but that's exactly what I've been doing for the past 5 months or so.

The only thing that waiting for the next gen would do is waste time but on the other hand it would also bring the price of current gen GPUs down. It's sort of a double edged sword but I think it's worth investing in GTX 9xx hardware now and having several months of folding under your belt with them than waiting to see what the new consumer/gamer Pascal cards can do. Make hay when the sun shines!

Last edited: 11 Apr 2016
  14. Tattysnuc

YESSSSSSSSSS

(fist pumps the air)

Just overtaken our ChimpChallenge user: CustomBitChimps

It's taken me 3 years or so to overtake what we as a team did in 1 week, or was it 1 day.

Now I've just got to stay ahead of it....

15. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Also you wont know if they will be viable to fold on from day 1. Stanford may need to do updates to make it all work.

Congrats Tattysnuc. :thumb:

16. Unicorn

I passed 50 million points about a day ago! I'm delighted to be contributing to the project and team again, and look forward to my next 50 million points only taking a matter of weeks instead of the incredible 11 years it took me to reach the first 50M! :thumb:

17. DocJonz

Excellent stuff :thumb:

(Just looked back at my history - took me about 4.5years to make my first 50 million, now I do 50 million in about a fortnight - that's hardware/points inflation for you).

18. Unicorn

50 million in a fortnight is amazing! :hehe:

[​IMG]

Delighted to find myself in the top 20 producers on the team; I think this is the first time it's happened since I joined. The farm has been growing a little more every week recently, and I'm waiting on two 4u ATX cases and some miscellaneous hardware like low profile CPU coolers and fans arriving today and tomorrow to rack mount one machine that's currently running too hot on a test bench and build up another. One million PPD for "Unicorn" is my current target, so once I achieve that along with long term stability, I'll be happy to let them run as they are for the foreseeable future.

19. Tattysnuc

Very well done mate. You're fair flying there!

20. Unicorn

Thanks! Yeah it's all going pretty well, although this warm spell we're having at the moment is doing a number on the temps. I fired up the AC unit at the start of this week and even it's struggling to keep the GPU temps below the high 70s/low 80s. Still, I made it into the top 50 yesterday and the farm folding for "Unicorn" is just about producing 1M PPD now. I think I'm going to add one more card here in the next couple of weeks to push me into the top 10 team producers as well. :thumb:

[​IMG]