1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying for a loan, what do they want from me?!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by pete*, 24 Jun 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I agree the data may be out since the remap (was 150bhp now 197bhp ) although they did say they've seen up to 10mpg improvement on these engines after the first 100 miles, I mainly estimate it on the fact I always fill the car up before the journey which consist of the entire length of the M4 through to north London then to surrey then back to Purley I normally have just over half a tank left, pretty good I reckon.

As for the speed I don't consider 125mph excessive the car would certainly go faster to many cameras though lol I don't tail gate or intimidate the car in front to get out of the way and I keep a safe distance tbh there's plenty of cars going faster than me

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's just that one burst tyre, and you're history... I don't trust technology that much. :p

3. Teelzebub

Who does? but you can't go through life thinking what if can you, the best you can do is keep it well maintained and hope.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

125Mph or 70Mph if a tyre blows you're pretty much boned either way, granted you may have teeny tiny better chance of doing something at the lower speed but i would guess 90% of the time it's not going to end well. :worried:

5. shah

shah Minimodder

60mpg at 125mph... not sure what car you drive but I would be over the moon if I can get that average from my car at 70mph (although mine is a petrol and it does about 35mpg average on motorway).

I would say at 70mph one would have a chance of surviving but at 125mph the car would probably rollover?

6. veato

veato I should be working

60mpg at 125mph. I don't believe this for one minute. A stock 2l DCI (150bhp) returns 47mpg (combined cycle) - a user review on Autotrader highlighting 56mpg at motorway speeds.

How then can you increase power (presumably by turning up the boost on the remap), drive at speeds where wind resistance is far greater than the 70mpg/56mpg figure AND return 60mpg.

If I were you I'd do a manual calculation as if you're taking this figure from the cars onboard reading it's obviously wrong.

Also for driving at those speeds you're a *****.

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Wales is very high, maybe it's all downhill? :hehe:

My 2.2 DCi only manages about 38mpg at 70 :(

Corky42 likes this.
  8. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

Yup, gotta agree with you there. I'm getting old/lazy, but *** packet time:

125mph needs around 110bhp (Cd .33 / less than 1.5m^2 frontal area which is a small car) to overcome just the aerodynamic drag.

That's about 80kw

Diesel has an energy density around 9.7kwh/l

that's around 8.5 litres and hour for 80kw

Which is 1.9 gallons

1.9 gallons at 125 mph for an hour is 65mpg. That's just the energy going in from the fuel against just the aero drag.

The engine will be at less than 50% efficiency at high rpm. Half the mpg gone.

Then there are losses in the gearbox, diff, tyres, another 20-25% gone. Down to 22ish. Best case. On the flat. With no wind.

<quote>As for the speed I don't consider 125mph excessive</quote>

125mph on a public road in the UK is idiotic, stupid, dangerous, selfish, criminal. You should be ashamed of yourself.

9. Teelzebub

Did you work that out all on your own or had help lol pretentious **** or was it 125mpg at 60 can't remember now still gives you some thing to blow wind about

Last edited: 15 Aug 2014
  10. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

Wow, off topic in serious xD

Who actually cares enough if he did 60mpg@125Mph to argue it. Well done :p

Pleased to say I did get eventually get a 3008. '11 reg, pretty high mileage though at 57k. Cost me £7000, less than I originally thought i'd be spending but more than I decided on, but this was very cheap.
    £75 from empty of diesel lasts me just under 3 weeks. Seems to be getting about 40-50mpg on
    stretches of road. So alls good so far. :)

I didn't get a loan in the end. As everyone here has so rightly pointed out it is ludicrous on my earnings
    for that size loan anyway. So i've paid with savings and i'm essentially paying myself back as much as
    possible each month.

Love the car. Can't wait to take it for the trip round Scotland.

Only thing I am annoyed about is the AUX port in arm rest is wonky! I'm posting about that in another
    section to see if anyone knows a way to fix them easily. :}

But thanks for all the advice in the thread people.

And Teel, keep doin' 130mph, so long as it isn't up my arse in the slow lane on the mway. ;P
    I remember getting my little 1.1 Peugeot 106 up to 103mph(as far as I could tell).. that was an
    experience. Haha.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

57k miles for a diesel is nothing. Don't worry about it.

12. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

You got that the wrong way round, you mean "doing those speeds is not really a clever thing to do".

125-30, whatever, even in the most remote of possible chances, that you can handle a car properly at those speeds safely; which I sincerely doubt - and let me emphasise how unlikely that is: you can't (unless you've done it in a situation which demonstrates what a car does in all circumstances at that speed, i.e. a race track, so I'd expect you to have a race license), other people are more likely to be the end of you (and unfortunately themselves) as they aren't expecting someone to be doing that kind of speed on a road, nor is it at all reasonable to expect them to be.

You know full well that I think you're a ****ing *****, but your tenacity in actually proving it knows no bounds - for that I applaud your monumental idiocy, it's quite a sight to behold.

13. Teelzebub

Yes mummy now stfu btw you have no idea what my driving experience is but still you open that big hole and pretend you do

14. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Are you 12? Because you probably shouldn't be driving at all if so.

If you're going to argue on the forums, especially in serious discussion, please at least do it in a constructive and adult manner (you too, julianmartin)

15. Teelzebub

I was 12 once, god I wish I was again lol tbh this thread has well gone past it's sell by date the OP has his new car and is very happy :rock: now it's just become a place for bored and stupid people and social networkers to let steam off in.

Should be closed really and on that note this is last and final post from me in it :sigh:

16. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

I did 130mph in an S Reg Ford Cortina 1.6L with a cam that ticked louder than Bond film bomb.

Something tells me the speedo was everso slightly buggered :D

Eventually that car (my first) finished up parked in the side of a bus with copper following behind me to a scene of an accident whose tailback I hit !

17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Loans eh?

18. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Quite.

Thread has clearly served it's purpose - glad you sorted your car Pete.

Anyone that fancies bragging about or berating speeding can do so in another thread. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.