1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to add memory to my computer.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Captain Xarzu, 11 Jul 2022.

1. Captain Xarzu

Captain Xarzu What's a Dremel?

Trying to add memory to my computer.

I don't remember the last time I added memory to my motherboard. And I do not know what specifics about my system you need to know in order to give me some advice.

Here is the problem in a nut shell. After I installed my memory, I powered on my computer and it would cycle between starting up and shutting down continuously. I don't know that to think. I don't know if there are some steps I am missing. The memory is brand new. Could the memory be faulty and I need to return it? Do I need to do something with the BIOS settings?

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Try one stick at a time, on every RAM slot one at a time.
    It may also be a good idea to reset to defaults in the BIOS (in this case using the clear CMOS jumper, pressing the clear CMOS button, or removing the CMOS battery temporarily) as there may be incompatible XMP/DOCP settings.

Next time it would be helpful to say what hardware you have and what hardware you're installing.

3. Captain Xarzu

I will if I run into a problem. I think I have compatable memory now. I will be taking your suggestions.

4. Captain Xarzu

We have success. I have it working. The memory I got works.

It is actually a shock.

There were so many difficulties that I expected more difficulties,

But the BIOS recognized the memory.

The only hick-up that worried me was that when windows started, there was a statement that it was "Restarting" with that rolling icon -- you know what I am talking about, I think, That was there for hours. I was worried about doing anything but finally I had the courage to shut the computer down and restart it. And now, here I am. I mean, the fact that I am online posting this means I am back to life again. Otherwise, I would still be on the floor strugging with an uncoporative CPU.

I have run the task manager and clicked on the performance tab to see, yes, I am running 32 GB DDR3
    [​IMG]

The_Crapman likes this.