1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding trying to find an xbox360 case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Tris, 12 Aug 2008.

1. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

have been thinking about putting together an htpc, and after considering and discarding several ideas i am now looking at putting a htpc in an xbox 360 case (not an original idea i know) and hacking it up a bit to look nicer.

Thing is, i assumed with the high failure rate i could pick up a broken out of warranty xbox for pennies, but there seems to be a hefty cottage industry in repairing and reselling busted xbox's so they are all like £30 upwards on ebay.

Obviously all i want is the outer casing, not any of the parts and i hoping to pay very very little. Wondered if anyone here had any ideas on where i might be able to get my hands on just a couple of stock xbox360 cases (one to work on and one backup for when i overdremel the first and it falls to bits). My first thought was finding an xbox repair centre and contacting them to see what they do with the consoles that cant be repaired, but can't find any contact details that are likely to yield results.

Cheers in advance,

Tris

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

No chance at finding a shell on any 360 modding sites that sell fans, face plates, and cooling parts?

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'll be getting rid of my original 360 case next month if you can wait. Other then that XCM do a good range of cases (from black to chrome and see through) but you're looking at £30.

4. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

i have seen "replacement" shells - you know the "make your xbox360 blue!!11!1" type ones that look really flimsy (or are expensive), but not stock ones. I am still googling away while i am at work, but no luck yet.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The only place I can think of is a couple of places that also sell modchips (So I don't think I can link them here), but they don't sell the stock cases.

It might be worth getting on some of the Xbox 360 modding forums and ask if anyone's got one going spare after a shell swap, I can't see any other 'easy' way to get one.

In all honesty, though, even those may not be that cheap. Considering most 'custom' shells are around the £30-£40 mark, I expect anyone on those forums would want to get some of that back, unless they're very giving :p

6. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

take a look at these, there are a small few of ebay auctions that for some reason didnt sell, one didnt have a picture and one doesnt come with any cables or controllers or anything (possible reasons for not selling, not that either of those should worry you, you dont need the extra bits...)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Faulty-Xbox-3...ms=39:1|66:2|65:13&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318 - that one

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XBOX-360-FOR-...ms=39:1|66:2|65:13&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318 - that one...

auctions have ended without selling, so contact the sellers, see if they are still available, settle outside of ebay to avoid fees, pay via paypal, job done

oh, and this one - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xbox360-Spare...ms=39:1|66:2|65:13&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

and this one - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/xbox-360-cons...ms=39:1|66:2|65:13&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

try them all, maybe you'll get lucky

:)

*EDIT* - links fixed, no idea what happened to them...

7. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

cheers for the suggestions (DougEdey i'll pm u about yours).
    @dragon2309 yeah i guess camping out ebay is always an option, trying to pick up one that for some reason the refurbish and resell bunch havnt grabbed.

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'll be interested in the internals if you do get a unit like that cheap :)

9. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

yeh, i mean a lot of the people buying the dead 360's do so for the peripherals and strip down for working parts, they may not buy them solely to refurb/repair, which explains why the oens with no peripherals don't sell that well, because people want the extras to get a bit more bang for the same buck